• "Two Kinds" is a short story in Amy Tan's immensely successful first book, The Joy Luck Club; the story is related from a first-person narrative from the perspective of Jing-Mei, a Chinese-American adult who is reflecting on her life with her mother.
• Jing-Mei Woo's mother arrives in the United States in 1949 after losing her entire family including her first husband, their infant twin daughters, and her parents.
• Jing-Mei Woo's mother thinks that if you live in America, you can do and be anything you want.
• When Jing-Mei is nine years old, her mother tells her that she can become a child prodigy and attempts to transform Jing-Mei into a Chinese Shirley Temple.
• At first, Jing-Mei is just as excited as her mother about becoming a famous child prodigy; every night, she sits at the kitchen table while her mother shows her magazine articles about remarkable children...
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)