|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Eleven, what happens to Spiro to put him in the hospital?
2. What do Stephanie and Morelli believe the caskets found at the abandoned building were used for?
3. Following Stephanie's refrigerator discovery, what does Morelli tell the neighbors the cops have in the cooler?
4. What is the philosophy of the 'Burg society?
5. What does Stephanie find in her purse while watching the funeral home in Chapter Thirteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stephanie physically describe the women in her family and how does this match up with their character?
2. Why does it seem as though Joyce Barnhardt has had it out for Stephanie throughout their entire life?
3. Grandma Mazur buys clothing similar to Stephanie in Chapter Thirteen. Why do you feel she does this?
4. When Stephanie stakes out Kenny at the motel, does she work alone or with back-up, and why?
5. Why does Lula break the window when she and Stephanie visit Spiro's apartment?
6. Stephanie cannot catch Kenny because she is wearing a sexy pair of high heels. What does this symbolize?
7. Stephanie does not call the police about the finger. Instead, she returns it to the body. What does this say about her character?
8. Describe the general vibe of Spiro. What redeeming qualities has he shown up until Chapter Nine that would make Stephanie trust him and work as his bodyguard?
9. In Chapter Thirteen, Stephanie uses Grandma Mazur as a weapon against Vinnie. How does Grandma Mazur use her power over Vinnie to keep Stephanie employed, and what does this say about the power structure in the 'Burg?
10. Why does Stephanie's mother complain about Stephanie wearing Doc Marten boots?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The women of the 'Burg seem tougher than many women portrayed in novels, but what is it that makes them appear so? Is it their lifestyle? Their attitude? Their moral compass? Choose three characters and cite examples as to what makes them tougher than traditional women in literature.
Essay Topic 2
For someone portrayed as such a strong woman, Stephanie seems weak turning down the advances of Spiro. What attributes to this?
Part 1) Consider the many situations with Spiro that Stephanie is forced into. Did she put herself in those situations or was it due to outside forces?
Part 2) Debate why Stephanie chooses to avoid telling Spiro she is not interested in him. Is this behavior fair to Spiro?
Part 3) When Stephanie finally parts ways from Spiro, it is not through her hand. Normally such a strong character, what does this say about Stephanie when it comes to men and relationships?
Essay Topic 3
Both Morelli and Stephanie rely on one another but seem to prefer to work alone. How did this help or hinder their progress in solving the crime?
Part 1) What were some examples of Stephanie and Morelli unwittingly working against each other? Could they have made further progress by pooling their resources?
Part 2) There were several incidents of mayhem due to their separate approach. Cite examples and explain the symbolism of these accidents.
Part 3) What were some specific moments or areas Stephanie and Morelli could have shared information and gotten better results? List examples and consider how cooperation could have changed the story.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)