|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the package Stephanie receives from her building superintendent?
2. What meal does Morelli eat with Stephanie's family at the beginning of Chapter Fourteen?
3. How does Stephanie get Spiro to take her to the basement after someone goes missing?
4. What does Louie Moon leave around his house year round?
5. In Chapter Eleven, what happens to Spiro to put him in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Thirteen, Stephanie uses Grandma Mazur as a weapon against Vinnie. How does Grandma Mazur use her power over Vinnie to keep Stephanie employed, and what does this say about the power structure in the 'Burg?
2. Why does Stephanie once again snap back to business with Morelli, in spite of the kiss they shared?
3. Mrs. Plum is suddenly on Stephanie's side and wants her to succeed at capturing Kenny. Why?
4. What does Stephanie learn about Morelli when Andy Roche appears in Chapter Twelve, and what does this say about Stephanie's instincts?
5. In Chapter Eleven, what action does Stephanie take that causes the religious structure of the 'Burg to be revealed?
6. What does the fact that Stephanie's mother tried to set Stephanie up with Spiro say about her mother's judgment?
7. How does Morelli help defend Grandma Mazur and Stephanie against Kenny?
8. Describe the general vibe of Spiro. What redeeming qualities has he shown up until Chapter Nine that would make Stephanie trust him and work as his bodyguard?
9. Stephanie cannot catch Kenny because she is wearing a sexy pair of high heels. What does this symbolize?
10. How does Grandma Mazur save both herself and Stephanie from Kenny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Stephanie's heart was broken by her ex-husband, the author puts Stephanie face to face with the woman who helped ruin her marriage instead of him. Consider why the author uses this approach. Does the scene create more sympathy for Stephanie? Does it offer any additional insight into why Stephanie is the way she is? How could the story have been different if Stephanie had bumped into her ex-husband instead?
Essay Topic 2
The 'Burg is a community that offers up an interesting mix of progressive and non-progressive thought. Compare and contrast the several examples of progressive and non-progressive behavior from the citizens of the 'Burg.
Essay Topic 3
The women of the 'Burg seem tougher than many women portrayed in novels, but what is it that makes them appear so? Is it their lifestyle? Their attitude? Their moral compass? Choose three characters and cite examples as to what makes them tougher than traditional women in literature.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)