|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Following Stephanie's refrigerator discovery, what does Morelli tell the neighbors the cops have in the cooler?
2. In Chapter Twelve, what surprises Stephanie about her mother's reaction to her and Morelli spending time together?
3. What happens when Stephanie tries to go in the window at the Sandman's house?
4. Grandma Mazur recognizes what about the caskets found at the abandoned building?
5. What does Stephanie plan to swear off following the case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stephanie learn about Morelli when Andy Roche appears in Chapter Twelve, and what does this say about Stephanie's instincts?
2. Why does Lula break the window when she and Stephanie visit Spiro's apartment?
3. Stephanie does not call the police about the finger. Instead, she returns it to the body. What does this say about her character?
4. In Chapter Eleven, what action does Stephanie take that causes the religious structure of the 'Burg to be revealed?
5. When Stephanie stakes out Kenny at the motel, does she work alone or with back-up, and why?
6. When Grandma Mazur is attacked, this hurts Stephanie more than if she were attacked. Why?
7. Describe the type of style the women in the 'Burg aspire to. Does caring about beauty and fashion make them seem oppressed?
8. Why does Morelli's past with Stephanie suggest a greater opportunity for a future?
9. Why does it seem as though Joyce Barnhardt has had it out for Stephanie throughout their entire life?
10. Although Stephanie takes on many odd jobs to make ends meet, her true passion is as a bounty hunter. How do her other jobs add or subtract to this aspiration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The 'Burg is a community that offers up an interesting mix of progressive and non-progressive thought. Compare and contrast the several examples of progressive and non-progressive behavior from the citizens of the 'Burg.
Essay Topic 2
Stephanie is fiercely independent, yet there are many instances where Morelli is present to protect her. List three moments where Morelli tried to protect Stephanie. Based on the text, determine whether or not his protection in these moments actually kept Stephanie safe or if she was perfectly safe on her own.
Essay Topic 3
The 'Burg was practically a character in the novel itself. This community had a life of its own and beliefs of its own that shaped the characters and the outcome of the story.
Part 1) Describe the 'Burg. What were its unique qualities? How did its character affect the story?
Part 2) What is the significance of the 'Burg in this novel? Could the same story be as believable without the 'Burg as a location?
Part 3) If you were to offer up a different setting for the story, what would be a location option as strong as this one and why?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)