|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stephanie visits the location of the second accident. Where is it?
2. In Chapter Five, where does Stephanie get information on other caskets?
3. What did Vinnie do to cause a problem with the female file clerk?
4. What does the Sandman's neighbor accuse Stephanie of being when he catches her outside the Sandman's apartment?
5. Who is the eccentric character who informs Stephanie she carries a gun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Grandma Mazur and Eula have in common?
2. Why does Stephanie go to the storage unit in Chapter Four?
3. Why does Stephanie visit dangerous suspects without back-up?
4. There are many examples of irreverence that take place at the funeral home. For example, the group that attends the K and C funeral get rowdy and drunk. How does this device help the story?
5. Why does Stephanie's mother want her to have another job?
6. Why is Stephanie occasionally dishonest when seeking answers for her case?
7. What device does the author use to create a past between Stephanie and Morelli?
8. What do Stephanie and her Grandmother argue about prior to Moogey's funeral?
9. The size of the Buick is used as a commentary piece regarding what?
10. What does the cat in the hamster cage symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character you liked. Using the topics below, analyze this character's appeal to you.
Part 1) Who was your favorite character and why?
Part 2) What do you have in common with this character? Do you see yourself in him/her?
Part 3) What did this character accomplish in the story? If you were in his/her shoes, do you feel you could have achieved the same accomplishment or would you have done something differently?
Part 4) What did you learn from the character that you will apply to your everyday life?
Essay Topic 2
The women of the 'Burg seem tougher than many women portrayed in novels, but what is it that makes them appear so? Is it their lifestyle? Their attitude? Their moral compass? Choose three characters and cite examples as to what makes them tougher than traditional women in literature.
Essay Topic 3
The author utilizes symbols throughout the story. From each of the following examples, explain what each object symbolizes in Stephanie's life. Explain how each symbol reflects an aspect of Stephanie's life and how it serves the story.
1. The Buick
2. The Sexy Purple Shoes
3. The Gun in the Jar
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)