|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the Sandman's apartment, what does Stephanie leave with the neighbor?
2. At a meeting that takes place in the funeral home, what does Spiro beg Stephanie to retrieve?
3. In Chapter Seven, why does Connie make fun of Stephanie?
4. To avoid suspicion, Morelli and Stephanie decide to do what with a letter in Kenny's mail?
5. Who gives Stephanie a tip regarding a large pickup right around the time of the casket theft?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stephanie go to the storage unit in Chapter Four?
2. How does the information about the money spent on funerals continue to cast suspicion on Spiro's story?
3. How does the 'Burg help with the job Stephanie is trying to do?
4. What drives Stephanie's distrust of Morelli in this particular case?
5. Why does Grandma Mazur pull the finger off of the corpse at the funeral home?
6. When Stephanie and Morelli bump into each other at the crash, what does it symbolize?
7. There are many examples of irreverence that take place at the funeral home. For example, the group that attends the K and C funeral get rowdy and drunk. How does this device help the story?
8. Could Stephanie accomplish what she does if she lived somewhere that was not as close knit?
9. By leaving a card with the Sandman's neighbor, is Stephanie setting herself up as a target or simply attempting to get information?
10. Why did parts of the 'Burg seem to become less fortunate than others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Stephanie's heart was broken by her ex-husband, the author puts Stephanie face to face with the woman who helped ruin her marriage instead of him. Consider why the author uses this approach. Does the scene create more sympathy for Stephanie? Does it offer any additional insight into why Stephanie is the way she is? How could the story have been different if Stephanie had bumped into her ex-husband instead?
Essay Topic 2
Stephanie's apartment is a safe haven that reflects her independent lifestyle. Analyze why the break-in at Stephanie's apartment affected her in the way that it did. Consider the following...
1. What does the apartment symbolize?
2. Why is it important to Stephanie?
3. What was the significance of Stephanie having to leave her apartment to protect her family?
4. Why was it important for her to return to the apartment at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Moral character is manipulated throughout this novel. For example, Stephanie thinks nothing of lying to the woman who broke up her marriage, as the woman thought nothing of breaking up Stephanie's marriage.
Cite five examples in the story where the rules of society are bent and seen as socially acceptable. Debate the rationale of what is "right" and "wrong" in each instance.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)