|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who scares Stephanie the morning after her apartment was robbed?
2. At the end of chapter three, Eddie Garanza leaves a message for Stephanie about Morelli's current case. What has he learned?
3. Why can't Kenny be implicated in the gun sale?
4. Whose viewing does Stephanie attend with her grandmother?
5. What does the unlocked door in Kenny's vehicle signal to Stephanie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the residents of the 'Burg see it as unusual for Stephanie to be single?
2. Stephanie is often shown consuming what type of food throughout the story?
3. What does the cat in the hamster cage symbolize?
4. Why is Stephanie occasionally dishonest when seeking answers for her case?
5. Why does Stephanie become suspicious of Spiro and the cheap caskets?
6. Why does Stephanie go to the storage unit in Chapter Four?
7. How does the 'Burg help with the job Stephanie is trying to do?
8. What is the major difference between the attitude of Stephanie's grandmother and Mrs. Plum?
9. Why does Stephanie visit dangerous suspects without back-up?
10. There are many examples of irreverence that take place at the funeral home. For example, the group that attends the K and C funeral get rowdy and drunk. How does this device help the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stephanie and Morelli share a romantic interest for one another within the story. Yet, they do not end up together at the end of the book.
1) Compare the two characters. How are they similar? How are they different?
2) Consider how these two characters compliment each other. Do they work well together? Or do they work better alone?
3) Based on your analysis of who they are, consider their compatibility. Are these two characters a love match? Or are they better off to just stay out of each other's way?
Essay Topic 2
There were several criminals involved in the many crimes committed throughout the novel: Kenny, the Sandman, Spiro and Moogey. Choose one of these criminals and analyze the different factors that contributed to his downfall.
Essay Topic 3
Both Morelli and Stephanie rely on one another but seem to prefer to work alone. How did this help or hinder their progress in solving the crime?
Part 1) What were some examples of Stephanie and Morelli unwittingly working against each other? Could they have made further progress by pooling their resources?
Part 2) There were several incidents of mayhem due to their separate approach. Cite examples and explain the symbolism of these accidents.
Part 3) What were some specific moments or areas Stephanie and Morelli could have shared information and gotten better results? List examples and consider how cooperation could have changed the story.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)