|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Stephanie get Lula hired in the office after the other file clerk quit?
(a) Lula can provide information from the street.
(b) Lula will keep Vinnie under control.
(c) Lula is confident in herself and will make a great employee.
(d) All answers are correct.
2. What does Spiro show Stephanie in Chapter Seven?
(a) An unsigned, scary letter like the one Stephanie received.
(b) A gun.
(c) An engagement ring.
(d) A contract for free funeral services for her, her mother and grandmother.
3. Whom does Spiro say he is afraid of in Chapter Seven?
(c) The Sandman.
(d) Spiro's father.
4. Why is Stephanie suspicious of Spiro after reviewing the caskets?
(a) Spiro has always mocked Stephanie's work.
(b) Spiro has cheap caskets, but people in the 'Burg spend big money on funerals.
(c) Spiro lies about fingerprints on the casket.
(d) Spiro has a big insurance policy and Stephanie thinks she's getting set up.
5. What does Morelli take from Stephanie, without her permission?
(a) Kenny's credit card bill.
(b) Kenny's address book, offering up leads to major criminals.
(c) Kenny's mail order catalogues and the records of orders he placed.
(d) Kenny's phone bill, showing calls to Mexico and Salvador.
Short Answer Questions
1. At a meeting that takes place in the funeral home, what does Spiro beg Stephanie to retrieve?
2. In Chapter Seven, why does Connie make fun of Stephanie?
3. In Chapter Seven, what does Grandma Mazur pull off the dead body in the casket?
4. Where is Stephanie when her Jeep gets stolen in Chapter Five?
5. Why does Moogey have a closed casket?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Spiro produces an unsigned letter much like the one Stephanie received, what does this device achieve?
2. Why do the residents of the 'Burg see it as unusual for Stephanie to be single?
3. Stephanie is often shown consuming what type of food throughout the story?
4. Does the fact that the stolen guns are from Fort Braddock mean that Kenny is guilty?
5. Why does Stephanie go to the storage unit in Chapter Four?
6. There are many examples of irreverence that take place at the funeral home. For example, the group that attends the K and C funeral get rowdy and drunk. How does this device help the story?
7. By leaving a card with the Sandman's neighbor, is Stephanie setting herself up as a target or simply attempting to get information?
8. How does the 'Burg help with the job Stephanie is trying to do?
9. What does the cat in the hamster cage symbolize?
10. Why does Stephanie's mother want her to have another job?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)