|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what doesTyler defend his mother?
2. Why does Yoda become the girl's field hockey manager?
3. In Chapter Two, why is Tyler sad at school?
4. At what event does Tyler remember having fun with his father?
5. Why is the narrator doing what he is doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tyler ask his mom to buy him, and what is her response?
2. Why happens when Tyler is called into Mr. Hughes' office in Chapter Thirty?
3. What does Tyler say about what he dubs as "semi-nude" day?
4. Describe why Tyler has to rescue Yoda in the boy's locker room.
5. What is the video-game scenario that Tyler is playing?
6. How are Tyler's parents described?
7. How are other students viewing Tyler differently than in past years, and how does Hannah feel about the change?
8. What is the outcome of Tyler talking to his father about his academic schedule?
9. What is Tyler doing at the opening of Chapter 1?
10. What does Bethany do in the cafeteria one day at lunch that makes Tyler glad to be alive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Twisted.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Twisted. How is the theme represented by imagery? By the character development? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Twisted. How are the themes represented by imagery? By the character development? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Often a book has a plot that more character driven than action driven, and often it is the other way around. Some books seem to balance the two types of plots. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Twisted is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Over the course of Twisted, Tyler grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. Twisted might be considered a slice of Tyler's larger "coming of age" story. It might be said that Twisted is a "bildungsroman" of Tyler Miller. Discuss the following:
1. Define bildungsroman/coming-of-age literature as a genre and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Tyler as he changes from an angry, depressed boy to a wiser, more mature young man. What are the significant events that change Tyler?
3. Are there any other characters in Twisted who go through a coming-of-age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)