|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What behavior does Laura's mom observe that makes her worry about Laura?
2. When Johnny speaks his very first full sentence to Laura at the end of their very special day together, what does he say?
3. What tactic does Laura try in order to get rid of BOB?
4. What do Bobby and Laura do to celebrate New Year's Eve?
5. On the day when Laura has an almost spiritually fulfilling day with Johnny, what do they spend the whole day doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What behavior of Laura's is particularly worrisome to Laura's mom and what does Laura plan to do about it?
2. What retort does BOB give to Laura's idea to call the police and tell them about the abuse BOB is inflicting on her?
3. What types of pictures in Fleshworld magazine bother Laura?
4. When BOB tells Laura she has become everything he predicted she would, what is her reply?
5. When Bobby asks Laura on New Year's Eve if she thinks that cocaine is a problem for her, what is her reply?
6. What happens at the Double R Diner on Christmas Eve that makes Laura feel victorious?
7. How does Bobby end up shooting a man as Laura, Leo, and Bobby flee the gunfire at the drug dealer's house?
8. What shocking act does Laura perform at the party to win a $100 bet?
9. What is the significance of the list of 40 sets of initials within Laura's diary?
10. How does Laura feel about the way in which she escaped the dangerous situation after being kidnapped by three truckers on the highway?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the reader's uncertainty about the true identity of Laura's abuser referred to as BOB ensure that Laura, the victim, will be the focal point of the story, rather than the abuser? How is this choice by the author a radical one and what message is it sending about the roles of abuser and abused within society? Prove your claims with quotes from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Perform a psychoanalytical criticism of the novel, grounding your analysis in Laura's writings within her diary. Include quotes from both the novel and from scholarly sources focused on psychoanalytical techniques.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does the novel provide a realistic depiction of how suffering sexual abuse can affect a young person's psyche and behavior. Include both concrete details from the novel and concrete details from your research in order to prove your claims.
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)