|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Laura's favorite hiding place for secret items she does not want her parents to see?
2. When Maddy tells Laura and Donna that she has brought cigarettes with her, what reason does she give for them being stale?
3. What action does Laura realize makes her nightmares seem less scary?
4. When Laura dreams that an animal wants to bite off her foot, what type of animal is in her dream?
5. Why does Laura vow in writing on September 15th, 1984 to stop writing in her diary for a very long time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is foreshadowing used within the scene of Laura receiving a pony for her birthday and checking the pony's gender?
2. When Donna and Laura leave the guys by the fire in order to relieve themselves, they get really scared. What are they scared of?
3. What method does Laura decide to use in order to drive BOB away and stop the sexual abuse he is inflicting on her?
4. When Laura decides to be a better person during Maddy's visit, what does Laura state is her plan for achieving this goal?
5. How does Laura feel during the sexual experience with Rick and Josh and how does her feeling relate to the sexual abuse to which she has been subjected?
6. What does the Log Lady tell Laura in their meeting?
7. How is the theme of hope represented in the poem Laura writes on July 30, 1984, entitled "Someday Growing Up Will Come Easier"? (14)
8. When Laura arrives home and asks her mom about the Log Lady, what does Laura's mom tell her?
9. What is the significance of Laura and Maddy's attempts to block the light coming from the house windows into their fort?
10. What event occurs that results in Laura's meeting with the Log Lady?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of dreams within the novel. What is their purpose and which themes within the novel do they help to represent? Use quotes from the novel to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Explicate the novel's use of the theme of appearance versus reality. Create a claim that states the author's message regarding this theme. Use specific scenes from the novel to support your claim.
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of escapism demonstrated within the novel's narrative and what is the author communicating to the reader about this topic? Provide concrete details from the novel to support your claim.
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)