|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What complaint does Reverend Tom Choi hear about Koreans, Americans, and blacks?
2. What report does Maxine Waters refer to that discusses the ills of society, among others?
3. What is Otis Chandler's occupation?
4. According to Elaine Brown, where should people base their commitment if they want real change in society?
5. Which African-American character does Mrs. Young-soon Han hate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An anonymous juror from the Simi Valley describes the ordeal he had to go through as a result of his jury duty in the Rodney King trials. What are the drivers for his actions? Is it cowardice? A need to protect his family? What could have been the best solution/compromise for this juror? Is his jury duty worth the changes that happen from the trial?
Essay Topic 2
Koreans were prominently featured in the Rodney King story. What relevance do Koreans have that the other races in the neighborhood do not have? Is there something particular about them that is not present in the other races? Do Koreans play an important role in the Rodney King story, which prompted the author to feature them more than any other race?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize the story of Rodney King: his experiences, his trials, the verdict. What events lead to the eventual big milestone that affects a lot of people? Describe the effects his trial had on his family and on the nation.
This section contains 1,468 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)