|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Betye Saar surprised when they get to the restaurant?
2. According to Elaine Young, how long do people stay at the Beverly Hills Hotel?
3. What is Hami Bhabha's occupation?
4. What statement does Peter Sellars give about the situation in the city?
5. According to Elaine Brown, where should people base their commitment if they want real change in society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Briefly explain the concept of riots. What very strong emotions overcome these people who participate in the riots? Is it like an adrenaline rush? How could these people feel when the surge of emotion has passed? Are they resentful, guilty, or is there a secret sense of satisfaction at having expressed violence?
Essay Topic 2
Josie Morales narrates her story on how she prepared herself to be a witness in the trials, and how she did her part in making sure that she got called for the trial. She did not become a witness to the trials, however. Her story seems to imply that there is foul play going on. Is there anything in the book that also reeks of foul play? Is there enough evidence, or statements, from the book to conclude that, indeed, Rodney King's trial is full of foul play? Cite specific examples/statements from the story to support the answer.
Essay Topic 3
Elvira Evers has a very interesting story about how her baby came to be born. How does the book paint Elvira Evers based on the descriptions and the situations cited? Is she religious, bitter, or brave? What can be deduced of Elvira Evers' personality based on the book?
This section contains 1,484 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)