|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years does it take for everyone to forget about the commission and the commitments people have made?
2. What comparison does Peter Sellars make about the United States and his father?
3. Where else does Elaine Young go to because she does not want to be alone?
4. Where do Paula Weinstein and her husband Mark call a press conference on the day the verdict comes down?
5. According to Elaine Brown, where should people base their commitment if they want real change in society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reginald Denny beautifully describes how he is able to see beauty in the midst of all the ugliness around him. Considering that he was painfully involved in the trials, it is very remarkable that he should behave and react that way after everything that happened. What does Denny have that the others don't, which makes him react and cope this way? Is his form of coping a sign of submission, acceptance, or of moving on? Is it healthy and is it ideal? Are there any lessons in Denny's story that can be considered a best practice by others?
Essay Topic 2
Racism can be felt by anyone, colored or not. Is there any similarity between the discrimination a white person feels towards a colored one in a situation such as the one claimed by the African-American characters in the book, and vice versa, such as the one Rudy Salas, Jr. claims he receives? What are the similarities and differences between the two kinds of discrimination? Are the effects the same, to the person and to those he or she discriminates against?
Essay Topic 3
In the story, people have differing views on how to cope with violence and police abuse. Some spouses counter violence, while some turn towards a certain advocacy or cause. Is a certain methodology employed by a specific group or sector? For the student, which group or sector coped better, and using what method? What is the definition of "better"?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)