|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Elaine Brown author?
2. Why is Harland Braun reluctant to take the case of defending an accused in the Rodney King trial?
3. What question does Braun pose in relation to the Rodney King trial?
4. As shown in Gilmour's final findings, how many deaths involve the LAPD?
5. What particular word does Paula Weinstein use in her press release that is objected to by the entertainment industry people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stanley K. Sheinbaum discusses the "premonitions" he has encountered during the day the riots erupted. Are these indicators (premonitions) common among the characters in the story? Do these characters interpret these premonitions in the same way, or does it vary according to race or occupation? Cite specific examples/statements in the story to support the answer.
Essay Topic 2
Reginald Denny beautifully describes how he is able to see beauty in the midst of all the ugliness around him. Considering that he was painfully involved in the trials, it is very remarkable that he should behave and react that way after everything that happened. What does Denny have that the others don't, which makes him react and cope this way? Is his form of coping a sign of submission, acceptance, or of moving on? Is it healthy and is it ideal? Are there any lessons in Denny's story that can be considered a best practice by others?
Essay Topic 3
Is Rodney King responsible for the events that happened to him? Or are the events something that would have happened to him, no matter how cautious, nondescript, and submissive he was? What could he have done differently to change the course of his life?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)