|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chris Oh, how is his father shot, based on the story he hears?
2. How does Rudy Salas, Sr. refer to his feelings of racism?
3. What does Denny plan to put up in his own house someday to remember the people who have saved him?
4. Who arrives at the scene of the looting, and also eventually harms Julio Menjivar?
5. What reassurance does the police officer give to the jurors on the bus whom he is escorting to the courthouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Big Al's stand on the events surrounding Reginald Denny's beating.
2. Describe why Harland W. Braun was reluctant to take on the case of defending Theodore Briseno, a defendant in the Rodney King trial.
3. How does Mike Davis describe the changes he has seen in California since his childhood? How are these changes connected to the youth in general?
4. Describe Elvira Evers' story. How is she affected by the events surrounding the Rodney King trial?
5. Describe the thoughts running through the head of one particular female student from the University of Southern California.
6. Describe Maxine Waters' reactions to the riots. What does she do, what statements does she give out, and what is her stand in general?
7. Explain Cornel West's theory on gangsterism.
8. How does Gladis Sibrian look at the riots that happened after the Rodney King trial?
9. What is Bill Bradley disappointed about? How does he illustrate the source of his disappointment?
10. Describe Peter Sellars' comparison of his father and the United States. How are they alike, according to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rudy Salas Sr. refers to his feelings of racism as "insanity". Is it really some form of insanity, and if so, what is it? Is it paranoia, dementia, phobia, addiction, mania, depression, or some other type? Doesn't the fact that he can look at it from an objective manner indicate that he is rational about it? Why does he want to call it insanity, then? Is it just a convenient excuse to act the way he does? Are there many others like him in the story? Describe these other characters briefly.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Big Al's point of view and where his opinions and beliefs are coming from. Is there validity in his opinions? He says that there is nothing new about the Rodney King beating. Is this a sign of bitterness or of acceptance? What stand does he have regarding the Rodney King trials?
Essay Topic 3
Are Maxine Waters' efforts productive and effective? Is there any significant change that can be attributed to her doings? Would there have been a more effective, efficient way for her to pursue the same principles? Is there anything she did wrong, and what are the best practices that can be cited from her advocacy?
This section contains 1,573 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)