|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Michael Zinzun come to be blind in one eye?
2. According to Chris Oh, how is his father shot, based on the story he hears?
3. What reason does Katie Miller give to explain why Korean stores are burned in black neighborhoods?
4. What time does Tom Bradley and his staff plan to go to the media to issue a statement on their reaction to the verdict?
5. How much does Michael Zinzun get from the trial in which the city is ordered to pay him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly explain Gil Garcetti's theory about the magic that surrounds police officers.
2. Describe Peter Sellars' comparison of his father and the United States. How are they alike, according to him?
3. How does Gladis Sibrian look at the riots that happened after the Rodney King trial?
4. Describe Walter Park's story and how the section was named "Kinda Lovely". Is it appropriate for the story being told at any give time?
5. Describe Big Al's stand on the events surrounding Reginald Denny's beating.
6. Describe Katie Miller's stand on the looting and the looters in general.
7. What does "execution style" refer to? How is it significant in the story?
8. How does Otis Chandler look at money as an instrument for change?
9. How does the Hollywood agent feel when the verdict comes out? How does he describe the scenes he witnesses?
10. Describe Betye Saar's impression of the events on the day of the verdict.
Essay Topic 1
In the story, people have differing views on how to cope with violence and police abuse. Some spouses counter violence, while some turn towards a certain advocacy or cause. Is a certain methodology employed by a specific group or sector? For the student, which group or sector coped better, and using what method? What is the definition of "better"?
Essay Topic 2
Summarize the story of Rodney King: his experiences, his trials, the verdict. What events lead to the eventual big milestone that affects a lot of people? Describe the effects his trial had on his family and on the nation.
Essay Topic 3
Has the book made any difference in society and in people's attitude towards the issues touched on by the book? What difference has it made? Is there a better way of presenting the stories other than what was employed in the book?
This section contains 2,637 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)