|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Katie Miller, who does the looting in the Korean stores?
2. What particular incident makes Viola go into shock?
3. How does Mrs. Park describe her ordeal during Mr. Park's hospitalization?
4. What assurance does Walter Park hold on to, despite the fact that his wife is not expressive?
5. How does Mike Davis describe the gang truce he has witnessed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tom Bradley prepared four different messages for possible release to the media. Speculate on these four messages. What could these messages be and what scenario is the particular message for?
2. Describe Joe Viola's experience on the day of the riots. What does he feel and how does he behave during the riots?
3. Explain Hami Bhabha's theory on twilight.
4. How can twilight be used, according to Hami Bhabha?
5. Describe the Reverend Tom Choi's experience during his ministry at the Westwood Presbyterian Church. What does he discover for himself?
6. How does Mrs. Park describe her behavior during her husband's ordeal?
7. Explain Salas' feelings of racism, and how it affects his daily life.
8. Briefly explain the Anonymous Man's dangerous idea of an intimidation technique. What does he do to support this idea? What is the effect of this technique to his rival gangs?
9. Describe Maxine Waters' unconventional methods of being heard that caused discomfort in other politicians. What are the results of her efforts?
10. What is a "Jungian Collective Unconscious"? Where is this discovered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Rodney King responsible for the events that happened to him? Or are the events something that would have happened to him, no matter how cautious, nondescript, and submissive he was? What could he have done differently to change the course of his life?
Essay Topic 2
Stanley K. Sheinbaum discusses the "premonitions" he has encountered during the day the riots erupted. Are these indicators (premonitions) common among the characters in the story? Do these characters interpret these premonitions in the same way, or does it vary according to race or occupation? Cite specific examples/statements in the story to support the answer.
Essay Topic 3
"Choke holds" was a topic that was discussed in the story. One of the theories offered that cases against police officers would increase because of choke holds being eliminated, which would then result in uncontrolled violence among police officers. Is this theory valid? Does it say, then, that the police cannot determine for themselves what is acceptable and what is considered abusive? Are choke holds a limitation, or an opportunity/justification for violence?
This section contains 1,489 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)