|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael Zinzun do with his time?
2. What effect does his encounter with the police officers in 1942 have on Salas?
3. Who is Chung Lee?
4. What theory does the scholar Cornel West give on gangsterism?
5. According to Oh, what significant function does the frontal lobe of the brain perform?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Salas' feelings of racism, and how it affects his daily life.
2. Describe Daryl Gates' popularity ratings. How is it affected by the riots? What is it before, and what is it after the riots? What is the cause of the change? How does he feel about it?
3. Describe Maxine Waters' reactions to the riots. What does she do, what statements does she give out, and what is her stand in general?
4. Why does Twilight Bey stay up all night? Why do people call him "twilight"?
5. What is a "Jungian Collective Unconscious"? Where is this discovered?
6. What does "execution style" refer to? How is it significant in the story?
7. Describe how Sergeant Charles Duke feels about the use of physical force by police officers.
8. Describe the way Reginald Denny feels about everything that happened to him. What does he remember the most about all of his ordeals?
9. Tom Bradley prepared four different messages for possible release to the media. Speculate on these four messages. What could these messages be and what scenario is the particular message for?
10. Describe the changes that took place in the Beverly Hills Gun Club after the riots.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reginald Denny beautifully describes how he is able to see beauty in the midst of all the ugliness around him. Considering that he was painfully involved in the trials, it is very remarkable that he should behave and react that way after everything that happened. What does Denny have that the others don't, which makes him react and cope this way? Is his form of coping a sign of submission, acceptance, or of moving on? Is it healthy and is it ideal? Are there any lessons in Denny's story that can be considered a best practice by others?
Essay Topic 2
Stanley K. Sheinbaum discusses the "premonitions" he has encountered during the day the riots erupted. Are these indicators (premonitions) common among the characters in the story? Do these characters interpret these premonitions in the same way, or does it vary according to race or occupation? Cite specific examples/statements in the story to support the answer.
Essay Topic 3
Summarize the story of Rodney King: his experiences, his trials, the verdict. What events lead to the eventual big milestone that affects a lot of people? Describe the effects his trial had on his family and on the nation.
This section contains 1,532 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)