|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which particular incident after the trial makes the anonymous juror from Simi Valley most upset?
2. In what state is Walter Park in while he is being interviewed?
3. What is Chris Oh's occupation?
4. What statement does Haywood make about the women he sees in the riots and the fire?
5. What happens to Chung Lee and to his family the day the Rodney King verdicts are announced?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jason Sanford believes that he would not have been beaten down if he went out on the streets after the Rodney King verdict because of how he looks. Give a possible description of Jason Sanford's looks, which makes him quite likable by the police.
2. Describe the changes that took place in the Beverly Hills Gun Club after the riots.
3. Briefly explain the Anonymous Man's dangerous idea of an intimidation technique. What does he do to support this idea? What is the effect of this technique to his rival gangs?
4. Describe Elvira Evers' story. How is she affected by the events surrounding the Rodney King trial?
5. Describe how Sergeant Charles Duke feels about the use of physical force by police officers.
6. Describe John, Murika, and Judith Tur's stories in relation to the beatings. What do they witness and how do they feel about the events they have witnessed?
7. Describe the thoughts running through the head of one particular female student from the University of Southern California.
8. Describe the story of the anonymous juror from the Simi Valley. How is his life affected by the trials?
9. What convinces Harland Braun to eventually take on the case of Theodore Briseno? Explain his analogies to the story of Pontius Pilate.
10. Describe Maxine Waters' reactions to the riots. What does she do, what statements does she give out, and what is her stand in general?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stanley K. Sheinbaum discusses the "premonitions" he has encountered during the day the riots erupted. Are these indicators (premonitions) common among the characters in the story? Do these characters interpret these premonitions in the same way, or does it vary according to race or occupation? Cite specific examples/statements in the story to support the answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the story, people have differing views on how to cope with violence and police abuse. Some spouses counter violence, while some turn towards a certain advocacy or cause. Is a certain methodology employed by a specific group or sector? For the student, which group or sector coped better, and using what method? What is the definition of "better"?
Essay Topic 3
An anonymous juror from the Simi Valley describes the ordeal he had to go through as a result of his jury duty in the Rodney King trials. What are the drivers for his actions? Is it cowardice? A need to protect his family? What could have been the best solution/compromise for this juror? Is his jury duty worth the changes that happen from the trial?
This section contains 1,676 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)