|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Denny plan to put up in his own house someday to remember the people who have saved him?
2. There was once a demonstration of 850 people, including Spanish and white people. What is the event that precedes the demonstration?
3. Which exclusive store is not frequented by many people because the prices are just too high?
4. According to Theresa Allison, what event prompts her to start the Mothers Reclaiming Our Children (Mothers ROC) group?
5. According to Richard Kim, what does his father tell him about the day of the verdict when they went looking for police?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dean Gilmour's investigations on the deaths that occurred at the time of the riots. What are the results of his investigations?
2. How does Gladis Sibrian look at the riots that happened after the Rodney King trial?
3. Describe Joe Viola's experience on the day of the riots. What does he feel and how does he behave during the riots?
4. What is Bill Bradley disappointed about? How does he illustrate the source of his disappointment?
5. What is a "Jungian Collective Unconscious"? Where is this discovered?
6. Describe Maxine Waters' unconventional methods of being heard that caused discomfort in other politicians. What are the results of her efforts?
7. Discuss Twilight Bey's observations during the night.
8. Describe Mrs. Young-soon Han's realizations about the events surrounding the Rodney King trial. Do her feelings towards America change before and after the trial? What changes happen?
9. How does Angela King come to be the speaker for the King family? What sustains her passion in her fight for justice?
10. Describe why Harland W. Braun was reluctant to take on the case of defending Theodore Briseno, a defendant in the Rodney King trial.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An anonymous juror from the Simi Valley describes the ordeal he had to go through as a result of his jury duty in the Rodney King trials. What are the drivers for his actions? Is it cowardice? A need to protect his family? What could have been the best solution/compromise for this juror? Is his jury duty worth the changes that happen from the trial?
Essay Topic 2
Koreans were prominently featured in the Rodney King story. What relevance do Koreans have that the other races in the neighborhood do not have? Is there something particular about them that is not present in the other races? Do Koreans play an important role in the Rodney King story, which prompted the author to feature them more than any other race?
Essay Topic 3
In the story, people have differing views on how to cope with violence and police abuse. Some spouses counter violence, while some turn towards a certain advocacy or cause. Is a certain methodology employed by a specific group or sector? For the student, which group or sector coped better, and using what method? What is the definition of "better"?
This section contains 1,525 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)