|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen, Salas' son, handle his encounter with the policeman in which the policeman put a gun to his head?
(a) He wrote to all the major dailies to tell them of the abuse.
(b) Stephen did not tell his father right away.
(c) He made a complaint about the policeman in the nearest police station.
(d) He told his father about it as soon as he came home.
2. How does Michael Zinzun come to be blind in one eye?
(a) During a riot, one of the policemen hit him in the eye with a flashlight.
(b) In one of the riots he attended, there was a stray bullet which hit him on the left eye.
(c) Michael Zinzun is not at all blind in one eye.
(d) He was frying pancakes one time and the sizzling butter zinged his right eye.
3. How does Mike Davis describe the gang truce he has witnessed?
(b) Politically motivated.
(c) An act in survival.
4. What statement does Sergeant Duke give about the importance of choke holds?
(a) These need to be regularly updated, perhaps via a biannual workshop among the workforce.
(b) It was just proper that it was banned from being used.
(c) It should never have been invented in the first place.
(d) Since chokeholds became forbidden, there will be an increase in lawsuits because police officers will instead be using their batons.
5. There was once a demonstration of 850 people, including Spanish and white people. What is the event that precedes the demonstration?
(a) Allison's speech.
(b) The general assembly of the police in the area.
(c) The general assembly of the Mothers ROC.
(d) Tiny's funeral.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Captain Lane Haywood gets up on the roof to handle the fire better?
2. What do the doctors at the hospital tell Evers?
3. How does Elvira Evers describe the looting that goes on after the Rodney King verdict?
4. While driving downtown, what incident does Stanley K. Sheinbaum cite as a premonition of bad things to come?
5. According to Big Al, what could Denny have been trying to do by driving his truck down a residential street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Peter Sellars' comparison of his father and the United States. How are they alike, according to him?
2. Describe Betye Saar's impression of the events on the day of the verdict.
3. Jason Sanford believes that he would not have been beaten down if he went out on the streets after the Rodney King verdict because of how he looks. Give a possible description of Jason Sanford's looks, which makes him quite likable by the police.
4. Describe Richard Kim's story. How is he affected by the riots and how does he behave during the ordeal?
5. Describe Katie Miller's stand on the looting and the looters in general.
6. Describe Stanley K. Sheinbaum's observations on the day the verdict was given.
7. Discuss the story of Jonathan Jackson and its significance in the story.
8. Describe the changes that took place in the Beverly Hills Gun Club after the riots.
9. What does "lightning but no rain" refer to?
10. Describe Elvira Evers' story. How is she affected by the events surrounding the Rodney King trial?
This section contains 1,640 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)