|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much fine does Julio Menjivar have to pay as a result of his arrest?
2. While driving downtown, what incident does Stanley K. Sheinbaum cite as a premonition of bad things to come?
(a) He saw a black BMW driven by an African-American woman, who had a hammer in her hand.
(b) He saw a billboard that says "Stop, turn around."
(c) A bucket of paint from a very tall building fell on the road, splashing red paint which looked like blood.
(d) A black cat crossed the road.
3. What effect does his encounter with the police officers in 1942 have on Salas?
(a) He maintained a community newspaper that printed only stories about policemen.
(b) A strong hatred for white police officers.
(c) A strong admiration for police officers.
(d) He founded an organization whose sole aim is to keep track of the movements of the policemen in his community.
4. What statement does Judith Tur make about white people and their anger?
(a) Their anger is healthy and should be given its proper attention.
(b) They were never angry about races.
(c) She says that their anger is a sign of progress, which will help them cope with race differences.
(d) They are getting so angry that they are moving back fifty years in their attitudes towards race instead of moving forward.
5. How does Joe Viola describe the way he felt when he was caught in the riots?
(a) He was terrified for the first time in his life.
(b) He suddenly cried and couldn't stop himself from crying.
(c) He had never known riots could be so exciting.
(d) He suddenly felt heroic and wanted to protect the women and children he saw.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Katie Miller, who does the looting in the Korean stores?
2. According to Richard Kim, what does his father tell him about the day of the verdict when they went looking for police?
3. What is Proposition F?
4. What statement does Garcetti make about the credibility of police officers?
5. According to the Anonymous Man, what has changed between older and younger gang members?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Sergeant Charles Duke feels about the use of physical force by police officers.
2. What is a "deadeye"? Is Owen Smet a deadeye? Briefly discuss his collection of guns.
3. Jason Sanford believes that he would not have been beaten down if he went out on the streets after the Rodney King verdict because of how he looks. Give a possible description of Jason Sanford's looks, which makes him quite likable by the police.
4. Describe Dean Gilmour's investigations on the deaths that occurred at the time of the riots. What are the results of his investigations?
5. Describe Peter Sellars' comparison of his father and the United States. How are they alike, according to him?
6. Who is Gladis Sibrian? How do people react to her efforts?
7. Describe the sense of mission and community after the Watts riot, as narrated by Otis Chandler. What happens to it eventually? How does it relate to the Rodney King trials?
8. What convinces Harland Braun to eventually take on the case of Theodore Briseno? Explain his analogies to the story of Pontius Pilate.
9. How does Gladis Sibrian look at the riots that happened after the Rodney King trial?
10. How does Otis Chandler look at money as an instrument for change?
This section contains 1,607 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)