|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which particular incident after the trial makes the anonymous juror from Simi Valley most upset?
(a) Receiving a death threat from the family members of Rodney King.
(b) Receiving a letter from one angry follower of the case, asking if he knew that people were dying and burning buildings in South LA because of him.
(c) Receiving a phone call from Angela King asking how he can sleep at night.
(d) Receiving a letter from the Ku Klux Klan pledging support and inviting him to join the organization.
2. What does Walter Park talk about during the interview?
(a) His courage during the riots.
(b) His love for his wife and stepson.
(c) His younger days in Korea.
(d) His want to return to Korea and about how lonely he feels.
3. According to Cornel West, why do gunfighters become heroes?
(a) Because gunfighters usually have high moral standards.
(b) Because of their experience in fighting.
(c) Because of the number of people they have killed.
(d) Because of their guns, and being a gunfighter is equated to being tough.
4. Why does Josie Morales keep watching the beating of Rodney King from her apartment?
(a) She believes that what the police were doing was a wrong thing and she wanted to be able to testify at the trial.
(b) She was enjoying the beating of Rodney King.
(c) She was waiting for an opportunity to discuss with her neighbors.
(d) She was waiting for an opportunity to help Rodney King.
5. What does Gil Garcetti believe in when it comes to jurors and their participation in trials?
(a) Most jurors do not take their duties seriously and that their participation in trials be limited to those of observers.
(b) Most jurors take their oath seriously and because the burden of proof in a criminal trial is very high, jurors must carefully examine and consider all evidence in a case.
(c) The judiciary system has to be changed to give less power to jurors and more to judges and district attorneys.
(d) Ordinary civilians should not be tasked with matters of the law.
Short Answer Questions
1. Particularly for Salas, when does he realize that gringos are his enemies?
2. According to Chris Oh, how is his father shot, based on the story he hears?
3. What comment does Julio Menjivar hear from the police officers who are passing by the looting scene?
4. What do the doctors at the hospital tell Evers?
5. At the time when the Hollywood agent is dining in one of the Beverly Hills restaurants, what building is burned, which leads to even more fear among the people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Hami Bhabha's theory on twilight.
2. Explain what the "Badge of Courage" is and its relevance in the Rodney King story.
3. Describe Peter Sellars' comparison of his father and the United States. How are they alike, according to him?
4. What is a "deadeye"? Is Owen Smet a deadeye? Briefly discuss his collection of guns.
5. Describe Dean Gilmour's investigations on the deaths that occurred at the time of the riots. What are the results of his investigations?
6. Describe the sense of mission and community after the Watts riot, as narrated by Otis Chandler. What happens to it eventually? How does it relate to the Rodney King trials?
7. Describe Walter Park's story and how the section was named "Kinda Lovely". Is it appropriate for the story being told at any give time?
8. Describe how Sergeant Charles Duke feels about the use of physical force by police officers.
9. What is a "Jungian Collective Unconscious"? Where is this discovered?
10. Discuss Twilight Bey's observations during the night.
This section contains 1,593 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)