|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does his encounter with the police officers in 1942 have on Salas?
(a) He maintained a community newspaper that printed only stories about policemen.
(b) A strong hatred for white police officers.
(c) He founded an organization whose sole aim is to keep track of the movements of the policemen in his community.
(d) A strong admiration for police officers.
2. According to Mike Davis, what does the gang truce signify?
(a) That there is still hope among the youth of today.
(b) That there is a generation that refuses to commit suicide.
(c) That the youth of today value their parents very much.
(d) That the youth of today are intelligent human beings who think about society.
3. What image does Anonymous Man project when he moves to the valley?
(a) An image of someone who is at close ties with the police.
(b) A very wealthy gang member.
(c) An image of being a nobody.
(d) A one-man army that did not need any homeboys.
4. How does Rudy Salas, Sr. refer to his feelings of racism?
5. What statement does Sergeant Charles Duke give about Officer Powell's use of his police baton?
(a) The police baton Officer Powell was using was substandard and therefore offered no force.
(b) Officer Powell is an expert at the use of police baton.
(c) Officer Powell was not using his polce baton effectively.
(d) Officer Powell shouldn't have been allowed to use the police baton at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are "choke holds"?
2. Particularly for Salas, when does he realize that gringos are his enemies?
3. While confined in the hospital on morphine, Reginald Denny remembers some characters coming to see him. Who are they?
4. There was once a demonstration of 850 people, including Spanish and white people. What is the event that precedes the demonstration?
5. Why does Josie Morales' husband want to go inside and stop watching?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chris Oh say about his father's condition? How does he feel?
2. What is a "Jungian Collective Unconscious"? Where is this discovered?
3. Describe the riot which changed Michael Zinzun's life for good. What are the changes brought about by this riot?
4. Describe how Sergeant Charles Duke feels about the use of physical force by police officers.
5. How does Mrs. Park describe her behavior during her husband's ordeal?
6. Describe Chung Lee, who he is, and how he was affected by the Rodney King riots.
7. What is Bill Bradley's stand on race relations in the United States?
8. Describe the sense of mission and community after the Watts riot, as narrated by Otis Chandler. What happens to it eventually? How does it relate to the Rodney King trials?
9. How does Mrs. Young-soon Han describe the injustices suffered by the Korean immigrants?
10. Discuss the story of Jonathan Jackson and its significance in the story.
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)