|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What particular incident makes Viola go into shock?
(a) A girl with a briefcase hit a man repeatedly and left him for dead.
(b) A kid with a nine-millimeter gun shot a man to death in front of him.
(c) A kid with a nine-millimeter gun pointed in his general direction, who told him that he was going to kill him.
(d) A man with a briefcase hit a girl on her head and left her for dead.
2. To what movie does the anonymous Hollywood agent compare the scene he sees in the garage with many people running?
(a) The Day After Tomorrow.
(b) Independence Day.
(c) Terminator 2.
3. How does Angela King describe their upbringing when it comes to the issue of racism?
(a) That they were not raised in a racist way.
(b) That they were raised to only mingle with the blacks, and were forbidden to make friends with any other race.
(c) That they were forced to make friends only with the other races, and forbidden to mingle with blacks.
(d) That they grew up thinking the other races were enemies.
4. Why is Josie Morales never called to testify for the trial of Rodney King?
(a) She was told that her testimony contradicted that of another witness, Melanie Singer.
(b) Because she is not all-American.
(c) Because she did come forward and expressed willingness to testify.
(d) Because she is a woman.
5. What comment does Julio Menjivar hear from the police officers who are passing by the looting scene?
(a) They said that it was fine that they were destroying their own neighborhood.
(b) An expression of fear.
(c) A joke about how pleasant it would be if a fire was started.
(d) A threat about starting a fire in the neighborhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Evers go to the hospital immediately after she walks home from work?
2. What theory does the scholar Cornel West give on gangsterism?
3. What is Jason Sanford's belief about him going out in the streets after the Rodney King verdict?
4. How does Elvira Evers describe the looting that goes on after the Rodney King verdict?
5. What reason does Katie Miller give to explain why Korean stores are burned in black neighborhoods?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Young-soon Han describe the injustices suffered by the Korean immigrants?
2. Describe Mrs. Young-soon Han's realizations about the events surrounding the Rodney King trial. Do her feelings towards America change before and after the trial? What changes happen?
3. Describe Richard Kim's story. How is he affected by the riots and how does he behave during the ordeal?
4. Briefly explain Rudy Salas, Sr.'s hatred of white police. Where does it come from and what continuously fuels it?
5. Explain Cornel West's theory on gangsterism.
6. Describe Elaine Brown's stand on guns.
7. Explain Salas' feelings of racism, and how it affects his daily life.
8. Explain what the "Badge of Courage" is and its relevance in the Rodney King story.
9. How does the Hollywood agent feel when the verdict comes out? How does he describe the scenes he witnesses?
10. Describe the sense of mission and community after the Watts riot, as narrated by Otis Chandler. What happens to it eventually? How does it relate to the Rodney King trials?
This section contains 1,551 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)