|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Chris Oh's occupation?
(a) A medical student.
(b) A registered nurse.
(c) A translator.
(d) A cashier.
2. What is Jason Sanford's belief about him going out in the streets after the Rodney King verdict?
(a) That he probably would not have been beaten because of how he looks.
(b) That he might have been beaten terribly.
(c) That he might be stoned.
(d) That he would have been called in for questioning by the police.
3. In what state is Walter Park in while he is being interviewed?
(a) Brain-damaged and heavily sedated.
(b) Connected to a life support system.
(c) With Alzheimer's disease.
(d) Healthy and vibrant.
4. According to Cornel West, what difference do black men have over black women, which therefore makes them heroes?
(a) Black men are more obedient to the laws of the land.
(b) Black men are more ideological.
(c) Black men defy authority while black women cannot.
(d) Black men know how to handle the politics and the environment.
5. What comment does Jason Sanford usually get from the police about his looks?
(a) That he looked like a responsible all-American white boy.
(b) He has not received any comment from the police about his looks.
(c) That his looks will always lead him into trouble.
(d) That he looked so young for his age.
Short Answer Questions
1. What statement does Haywood make about the women he sees in the riots and the fire?
2. How does Mike Davis describe the gang truce he has witnessed?
3. What effect does his encounter with the police officers in 1942 have on Salas?
4. How does Elvira Evers describe the looting that goes on after the Rodney King verdict?
5. How does Joe Viola describe the way he felt when he was caught in the riots?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Elvira Evers' story. How is she affected by the events surrounding the Rodney King trial?
2. Explain Salas' feelings of racism, and how it affects his daily life.
3. Describe why Harland W. Braun was reluctant to take on the case of defending Theodore Briseno, a defendant in the Rodney King trial.
4. Describe the thoughts running through the head of one particular female student from the University of Southern California.
5. How does Mike Davis describe the changes he has seen in California since his childhood? How are these changes connected to the youth in general?
6. Discuss Twilight Bey's observations during the night.
7. Describe the way Reginald Denny feels about everything that happened to him. What does he remember the most about all of his ordeals?
8. How does the Hollywood agent feel when the verdict comes out? How does he describe the scenes he witnesses?
9. Who is Gladis Sibrian? How do people react to her efforts?
10. Briefly explain Gil Garcetti's theory about the magic that surrounds police officers.
This section contains 1,562 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)