|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Salas' father's hatred of gringos stem from?
(a) From fighting against the gringos when Pershing went after Pancho Villa in Chihuahua.
(b) From the fact that gringos are unreasonable people, as he experienced in his encounter with them in Mexico.
(c) From being brainstormed by his wife, who had a bad experience with gringos.
(d) From his childhood, when he was being bullied by gringos in his hometown.
2. Which particular incident after the trial makes the anonymous juror from Simi Valley most upset?
(a) Receiving a death threat from the family members of Rodney King.
(b) Receiving a letter from the Ku Klux Klan pledging support and inviting him to join the organization.
(c) Receiving a letter from one angry follower of the case, asking if he knew that people were dying and burning buildings in South LA because of him.
(d) Receiving a phone call from Angela King asking how he can sleep at night.
3. Who are the "curious people"?
(a) They are the gangs of Los Angeles whom Stanley K. Sheinbaum had a chance to talk to.
(b) They are the bag ladies loitering the streets of Los Angeles.
(c) They are the kids of Los Angeles who have an overwhelming curiosity about everything around them.
(d) They are the old ladies in the neighborhood of Los Angeles, who tend to pry in all the happenings around them.
4. On the day of the verdict, how many versions does Tom Bradley prepare for his statement to the press?
5. How much fine does Julio Menjivar have to pay as a result of his arrest?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Cornel West, what difference do black men have over black women, which therefore makes them heroes?
2. Why does Josie Morales keep watching the beating of Rodney King from her apartment?
3. Why is Josie Morales never called to testify for the trial of Rodney King?
4. What statement does Sergeant Duke give about the importance of choke holds?
5. What happens to Chung Lee and to his family the day the Rodney King verdicts are announced?
Short Essay Questions
1. What convinces Harland Braun to eventually take on the case of Theodore Briseno? Explain his analogies to the story of Pontius Pilate.
2. Describe Chung Lee, who he is, and how he was affected by the Rodney King riots.
3. Describe Maxine Waters' reactions to the riots. What does she do, what statements does she give out, and what is her stand in general?
4. How does Mike Davis describe the changes he has seen in California since his childhood? How are these changes connected to the youth in general?
5. Describe Maxine Waters' unconventional methods of being heard that caused discomfort in other politicians. What are the results of her efforts?
6. What is Bill Bradley disappointed about? How does he illustrate the source of his disappointment?
7. What is a "Jungian Collective Unconscious"? Where is this discovered?
8. Describe Richard Kim's story. How is he affected by the riots and how does he behave during the ordeal?
9. Briefly explain Rudy Salas, Sr.'s hatred of white police. Where does it come from and what continuously fuels it?
10. Describe Elvira Evers' story. How is she affected by the events surrounding the Rodney King trial?
This section contains 1,704 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)