|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gil Garcetti believe in when it comes to jurors and their participation in trials?
(a) Ordinary civilians should not be tasked with matters of the law.
(b) Most jurors do not take their duties seriously and that their participation in trials be limited to those of observers.
(c) The judiciary system has to be changed to give less power to jurors and more to judges and district attorneys.
(d) Most jurors take their oath seriously and because the burden of proof in a criminal trial is very high, jurors must carefully examine and consider all evidence in a case.
2. According to Mrs. Park, how do the police come to know Mr. Park in the Compton area?
(a) He had opened his store for them one time.
(b) He provides their booze for free.
(c) He had donated a lot of money to the Compton area.
(d) He gives them money every Christmas.
3. Why does Josie Morales' husband want to go inside and stop watching?
(a) He was afraid that Rodney King might call to them for help.
(b) He was afraid that they might be seen and be involved.
(c) He was afraid to watch because he grew up in Mexico where police abuse is prevalent.
(d) He was afraid that they will be asked to testify in the trial.
4. What does Walter Park talk about during the interview?
(a) His love for his wife and stepson.
(b) His younger days in Korea.
(c) His want to return to Korea and about how lonely he feels.
(d) His courage during the riots.
5. According to Katie Miller, who does the looting in the Korean stores?
(d) White Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What assurance does Walter Park hold on to, despite the fact that his wife is not expressive?
2. How does Richard Kim describe the looting?
3. Who arrives at the scene of the looting, and also eventually harms Julio Menjivar?
4. What reason does Katie Miller give to explain why Korean stores are burned in black neighborhoods?
5. To what movie does the anonymous Hollywood agent compare the scene he sees in the garage with many people running?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Reverend Tom Choi's experience during his ministry at the Westwood Presbyterian Church. What does he discover for himself?
2. Describe how Sergeant Charles Duke feels about the use of physical force by police officers.
3. Describe Peter Sellars' comparison of his father and the United States. How are they alike, according to him?
4. How does Betye Saar describe the surroundings on the night of the verdict?
5. Discuss the story of Jonathan Jackson and its significance in the story.
6. Why does Twilight Bey stay up all night? Why do people call him "twilight"?
7. Describe Daryl Gates' popularity ratings. How is it affected by the riots? What is it before, and what is it after the riots? What is the cause of the change? How does he feel about it?
8. Explain Cornel West's theory on gangsterism.
9. Briefly explain Rudy Salas, Sr.'s hatred of white police. Where does it come from and what continuously fuels it?
10. Describe the story of the anonymous juror from the Simi Valley. How is his life affected by the trials?
This section contains 1,554 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)