|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Proposition F?
(a) A legislation which aims to appoint African-Americans as chief of police.
(b) A resolution preventing African-Americans from driving luxury cars.
(c) A policy prohibiting riots to take place on weekdays.
(d) An effort to limit the police chief's term to five years.
2. How much does Michael Zinzun get from the trial in which the city is ordered to pay him?
(a) $2.1 million.
(b) $1.2 million.
(c) $3 million.
(d) $12 million.
3. What image does Anonymous Man project when he moves to the valley?
(a) A very wealthy gang member.
(b) A one-man army that did not need any homeboys.
(c) An image of being a nobody.
(d) An image of someone who is at close ties with the police.
4. What statement does Big Al make about the Rodney King beating and the media attention it receives?
(a) It would have been a normal routine procedure if not for the media exposure it received.
(b) The media should not have been involved and the case will go away quietly.
(c) The media did not fairly potray Rodney King as a model black citizen.
(d) There was nothing new about black people being beaten, it was just brought into public view this time.
5. Why is Josie Morales never called to testify for the trial of Rodney King?
(a) She was told that her testimony contradicted that of another witness, Melanie Singer.
(b) Because she did come forward and expressed willingness to testify.
(c) Because she is not all-American.
(d) Because she is a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "a badge of courage" as referred to in the story?
2. What statement does Garcetti make about the credibility of police officers?
3. According to Oh, what significant function does the frontal lobe of the brain perform?
4. According to Cornel West, why do gunfighters become heroes?
5. In what language does Chung Lee tell his story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Betye Saar describe the surroundings on the night of the verdict?
2. Tom Bradley prepared four different messages for possible release to the media. Speculate on these four messages. What could these messages be and what scenario is the particular message for?
3. How does the Hollywood agent feel when the verdict comes out? How does he describe the scenes he witnesses?
4. Describe the changes that took place in the Beverly Hills Gun Club after the riots.
5. Briefly explain Gil Garcetti's theory about the magic that surrounds police officers.
6. What is Bill Bradley disappointed about? How does he illustrate the source of his disappointment?
7. Explain Salas' feelings of racism, and how it affects his daily life.
8. Describe Maxine Waters' reactions to the riots. What does she do, what statements does she give out, and what is her stand in general?
9. Describe how Sergeant Charles Duke feels about the use of physical force by police officers.
10. Briefly explain Rudy Salas, Sr.'s hatred of white police. Where does it come from and what continuously fuels it?
This section contains 1,535 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)