|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Josie Morales' husband want to go inside and stop watching?
(a) He was afraid that Rodney King might call to them for help.
(b) He was afraid to watch because he grew up in Mexico where police abuse is prevalent.
(c) He was afraid that they might be seen and be involved.
(d) He was afraid that they will be asked to testify in the trial.
2. How does Stephen, Salas' son, handle his encounter with the policeman in which the policeman put a gun to his head?
(a) He wrote to all the major dailies to tell them of the abuse.
(b) He made a complaint about the policeman in the nearest police station.
(c) He told his father about it as soon as he came home.
(d) Stephen did not tell his father right away.
3. What reassurance does the police officer give to the jurors on the bus whom he is escorting to the courthouse?
(a) There is no need to worry if people threw rocks and bottles because the windows of the bus were bulletproof.
(b) Everything will be forgotten in a week, so jurors should better come up with a verdict then.
(c) The people gathered in front of the courthouse did not care about the jurors, and therefore did not notice them.
(d) People don't recognize them anyway and that the commotion was very much a normal one.
4. What are "choke holds"?
(a) These are upper body control holds which the LAPD used in the past.
(b) It is a choker worn by a police officer to identify him as an expert in choke methods.
(c) These are the techniques in using a police baton effectively.
(d) It is a slang for choking a subject to death.
5. What statement does Sergeant Duke give about the importance of choke holds?
(a) It was just proper that it was banned from being used.
(b) Since chokeholds became forbidden, there will be an increase in lawsuits because police officers will instead be using their batons.
(c) It should never have been invented in the first place.
(d) These need to be regularly updated, perhaps via a biannual workshop among the workforce.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Captain Lane Haywood gets up on the roof to handle the fire better?
2. What comment does Jason Sanford usually get from the police about his looks?
3. Sheinbaum heard women screaming about people coming into the building. At that same time, what comes through the seven to ten-foot high plate glass windowpanes?
4. What image does Anonymous Man project when he moves to the valley?
5. How much fine does Julio Menjivar have to pay as a result of his arrest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Betye Saar describe the surroundings on the night of the verdict?
2. How does Otis Chandler look at money as an instrument for change?
3. What is a "deadeye"? Is Owen Smet a deadeye? Briefly discuss his collection of guns.
4. What does "lightning but no rain" refer to?
5. Describe the way Reginald Denny feels about everything that happened to him. What does he remember the most about all of his ordeals?
6. Describe Betye Saar's impression of the events on the day of the verdict.
7. Describe Peter Sellars' comparison of his father and the United States. How are they alike, according to him?
8. Describe Chung Lee, who he is, and how he was affected by the Rodney King riots.
9. Describe Maxine Waters' unconventional methods of being heard that caused discomfort in other politicians. What are the results of her efforts?
10. Describe Elaine Young's experience during the riots. Why does she frequent the hotel lounges?
This section contains 1,526 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)