|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the video show at the beginning of the riots?
(a) Several women fleeing the scene, leaving their cameras in the process.
(b) Several policemen talking to themselves, apparently discussing their strategy.
(c) Rodney King exchanging a few angry words with the policemen.
(d) Several men beating Reginald Denny, as well as some women taking pictures of the beating.
2. Who shoots Walter Park, according to the African-American woman in the car behind him?
(a) An Asian.
(b) A Mexican.
(c) A Korean.
(d) An African-American.
3. What image does Anonymous Man project when he moves to the valley?
(a) An image of being a nobody.
(b) A one-man army that did not need any homeboys.
(c) An image of someone who is at close ties with the police.
(d) A very wealthy gang member.
4. What effect does his encounter with the police officers in 1942 have on Salas?
(a) A strong admiration for police officers.
(b) He founded an organization whose sole aim is to keep track of the movements of the policemen in his community.
(c) He maintained a community newspaper that printed only stories about policemen.
(d) A strong hatred for white police officers.
5. What do the doctors at the hospital tell Evers?
(a) The baby caught the bullet in her arms, which saved both Evers and the baby.
(b) The baby will be deaf because of the loud shot it heard.
(c) The baby will have a sustained sickness from the bullet.
(d) The baby cannot live longer than seven days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment does Julio Menjivar hear from the police officers who are passing by the looting scene?
2. Which exclusive store is not frequented by many people because the prices are just too high?
3. According to Theresa Allison, what event prompts her to start the Mothers Reclaiming Our Children (Mothers ROC) group?
4. What statement does Allison make about the police and their style when it comes to killings?
5. According to Cornel West, why do gunfighters become heroes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gladis Sibrian look at the riots that happened after the Rodney King trial?
2. Describe the way Reginald Denny feels about everything that happened to him. What does he remember the most about all of his ordeals?
3. Describe Joe Viola's experience on the day of the riots. What does he feel and how does he behave during the riots?
4. How does the Hollywood agent feel when the verdict comes out? How does he describe the scenes he witnesses?
5. Explain what the "Badge of Courage" is and its relevance in the Rodney King story.
6. Describe Maxine Waters' reactions to the riots. What does she do, what statements does she give out, and what is her stand in general?
7. Describe Big Al's stand on the events surrounding Reginald Denny's beating.
8. Describe Paul Parker's crusade. What drives him to pursue this crusade?
9. Describe John, Murika, and Judith Tur's stories in relation to the beatings. What do they witness and how do they feel about the events they have witnessed?
10. What does "execution style" refer to? How is it significant in the story?
This section contains 1,565 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)