Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What statement does Tom Bradley eventually make when the verdict is announced?
(a) Outrage at the verdict, but he discouraged violence.
(b) He said that the judicial system once again worked.
(c) Support for the verdict and the jurors.
(d) He suddenly changed his mind and chose not to give any statement.
2. What theory does the scholar Cornel West give on gangsterism?
(a) Gangsterism arises from the frontier myth and the myth of the gunfighter in American history.
(b) Gangsterism is an ideology created by people who have lost all hope.
(c) Gangsterism is overrated in general.
(d) Gangsterism is a lousy excuse for unacceptable behavior.
3. What action plan do the upper middle class in the Beverly Hills restaurant talk about in relation to the riots?
(a) Hiding in their homes.
(b) Hiring private security.
(c) Buying a gun.
(d) Leaving town.
4. What does Walter Park talk about during the interview?
(a) His younger days in Korea.
(b) His courage during the riots.
(c) His love for his wife and stepson.
(d) His want to return to Korea and about how lonely he feels.
5. Particularly for Salas, when does he realize that gringos are his enemies?
(a) When he went to school with them and was forbidden from sitting beside them.
(b) When he went to first grade and he was told that he was inferior because he was Mexican.
(c) When he fought with them over a can of beer in a bar in Mexico.
(d) When he met them in the parking lot of a grocery store in Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment does Julio Menjivar hear from the police officers who are passing by the looting scene?
2. According to Reginald Denny, why do people become upset whenever he gets his truck off the freeway?
3. According to Richard Kim, what does his father tell him about the day of the verdict when they went looking for police?
4. What image does Anonymous Man project when he moves to the valley?
5. In what state is Walter Park in while he is being interviewed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a "deadeye"? Is Owen Smet a deadeye? Briefly discuss his collection of guns.
2. Describe the way Reginald Denny feels about everything that happened to him. What does he remember the most about all of his ordeals?
3. Describe Elaine Brown's stand on guns.
4. How does Mrs. Young-soon Han describe the injustices suffered by the Korean immigrants?
5. Explain Cornel West's theory on gangsterism.
6. Describe Maxine Waters' unconventional methods of being heard that caused discomfort in other politicians. What are the results of her efforts?
7. Describe Mrs. Young-soon Han's realizations about the events surrounding the Rodney King trial. Do her feelings towards America change before and after the trial? What changes happen?
8. Describe the Reverend Tom Choi's experience during his ministry at the Westwood Presbyterian Church. What does he discover for himself?
9. Describe Katie Miller's stand on the looting and the looters in general.
10. Describe the sense of mission and community after the Watts riot, as narrated by Otis Chandler. What happens to it eventually? How does it relate to the Rodney King trials?
This section contains 1,543 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)