|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What theory does the scholar Cornel West give on gangsterism?
(a) Gangsterism is overrated in general.
(b) Gangsterism arises from the frontier myth and the myth of the gunfighter in American history.
(c) Gangsterism is an ideology created by people who have lost all hope.
(d) Gangsterism is a lousy excuse for unacceptable behavior.
2. There was once a demonstration of 850 people, including Spanish and white people. What is the event that precedes the demonstration?
(a) The general assembly of the police in the area.
(b) Tiny's funeral.
(c) Allison's speech.
(d) The general assembly of the Mothers ROC.
3. How does Angela King describe their upbringing when it comes to the issue of racism?
(a) That they were forced to make friends only with the other races, and forbidden to mingle with blacks.
(b) That they were not raised in a racist way.
(c) That they were raised to only mingle with the blacks, and were forbidden to make friends with any other race.
(d) That they grew up thinking the other races were enemies.
4. What time does Tom Bradley and his staff plan to go to the media to issue a statement on their reaction to the verdict?
(a) Eight o'clock the following morning.
(b) Five o'clock in the afternoon.
(c) Four o'clock in the afternoon.
(d) Six o'clock in the afternoon.
5. What statement does Big Al make about the Rodney King beating and the media attention it receives?
(a) The media did not fairly potray Rodney King as a model black citizen.
(b) It would have been a normal routine procedure if not for the media exposure it received.
(c) The media should not have been involved and the case will go away quietly.
(d) There was nothing new about black people being beaten, it was just brought into public view this time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael Zinzun do with his time?
2. Particularly for Salas, when does he realize that gringos are his enemies?
3. Which particular incident after the trial makes the anonymous juror from Simi Valley most upset?
4. What name does Angela King call her nephew, Rodney?
5. What statement does Allison make about the police and their style when it comes to killings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a "Jungian Collective Unconscious"? Where is this discovered?
2. Describe Stanley K. Sheinbaum's observations on the day the verdict was given.
3. How does Betye Saar describe the surroundings on the night of the verdict?
4. Discuss the story of Jonathan Jackson and its significance in the story.
5. Describe Richard Kim's story. How is he affected by the riots and how does he behave during the ordeal?
6. Describe Katie Miller's stand on the looting and the looters in general.
7. Describe Mrs. Young-soon Han's realizations about the events surrounding the Rodney King trial. Do her feelings towards America change before and after the trial? What changes happen?
8. How does Mike Davis describe the changes he has seen in California since his childhood? How are these changes connected to the youth in general?
9. How does Otis Chandler look at money as an instrument for change?
10. Briefly explain Gil Garcetti's theory about the magic that surrounds police officers.
This section contains 1,644 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)