|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Katie Miller give to explain why Korean stores are burned in black neighborhoods?
(a) Blacks were not allowed inside the stores.
(b) Koreans were really a snob race.
(c) Koreans never tried to get to know the people that came into the stores.
(d) The prices in the stores were higher for blacks than for Koreans.
2. What does the video show at the beginning of the riots?
(a) Several women fleeing the scene, leaving their cameras in the process.
(b) Several men beating Reginald Denny, as well as some women taking pictures of the beating.
(c) Several policemen talking to themselves, apparently discussing their strategy.
(d) Rodney King exchanging a few angry words with the policemen.
3. What effect does being a policeman have inside a courtroom?
(a) He always brings about riot in the courtroom because of the passionate feelings the public has towards policemen in general.
(b) He makes people stay away from courtrooms.
(c) He seems to be surrounded by a kind of magic brought about by the respect people have for members of the police force.
(d) He silences the crowd inside the courtroom because of the raw power he exudes.
4. What specific skills is Oh concerned about; one that his father can no longer perform?
5. What is "a badge of courage" as referred to in the story?
(a) It refers to the police badge.
(b) It refers to the fire department badge.
(c) It refers to the CSI badge.
(d) It refers to the FBI badge.
6. How does Mike Davis describe the gang truce he has witnessed?
(c) An act in survival.
(d) Politically motivated.
7. How does Angela King react whenever she talks about the beating of her nephew and of his condition?
(a) She does not show any emotion.
(b) She curses all the policemen in the world.
(c) She raises her voice in anger.
(d) She cries.
8. According to the Anonymous Man, what has changed between older and younger gang members?
(a) Younger members have become much more aggressive than the older gang members.
(b) Older gang members respected their elders, but such respect has disappeared among younger members.
(c) Older gang members are great conversationalists, while this skill is lost on younger gang members.
(d) Younger gang members have become louder, and tend to attract more attention than older gang members.
9. What incident does Big Al describe in which he realizes that the conditions in which he lives are so dangerous that everyone must be qualified to carry firearms?
(a) He saw a six-year old child carrying a real gun.
(b) A man with his baby walked into a gun store and bought a gun while the baby looked on.
(c) A man with a gun used it to buy bubble gums.
(d) A man at a bubble gum machine pulled a gun on him once.
10. What are "choke holds"?
(a) It is a choker worn by a police officer to identify him as an expert in choke methods.
(b) These are upper body control holds which the LAPD used in the past.
(c) It is a slang for choking a subject to death.
(d) These are the techniques in using a police baton effectively.
11. What is Proposition F?
(a) A legislation which aims to appoint African-Americans as chief of police.
(b) A resolution preventing African-Americans from driving luxury cars.
(c) An effort to limit the police chief's term to five years.
(d) A policy prohibiting riots to take place on weekdays.
12. According to Oh, what significant function does the frontal lobe of the brain perform?
(a) It lets a person smell.
(b) It enables a person to distinguish colors.
(c) It pumps blood from the heart to the brain.
(d) It is where learning skills and a person's basic characteristics are.
13. What name does Angela King call her nephew, Rodney?
14. What statement does Big Al make about the Rodney King beating and the media attention it receives?
(a) The media should not have been involved and the case will go away quietly.
(b) There was nothing new about black people being beaten, it was just brought into public view this time.
(c) It would have been a normal routine procedure if not for the media exposure it received.
(d) The media did not fairly potray Rodney King as a model black citizen.
15. What theory does the scholar Cornel West give on gangsterism?
(a) Gangsterism is a lousy excuse for unacceptable behavior.
(b) Gangsterism is an ideology created by people who have lost all hope.
(c) Gangsterism arises from the frontier myth and the myth of the gunfighter in American history.
(d) Gangsterism is overrated in general.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment does Julio Menjivar hear from the police officers who are passing by the looting scene?
2. Sheinbaum heard women screaming about people coming into the building. At that same time, what comes through the seven to ten-foot high plate glass windowpanes?
3. According to Cornel West, what difference do black men have over black women, which therefore makes them heroes?
4. According to Chris Oh, what happens at the time Walter Park is shot?
5. Why does Josie Morales keep watching the beating of Rodney King from her apartment?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)