|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Chris Oh's occupation?
(a) A registered nurse.
(b) A cashier.
(c) A medical student.
(d) A translator.
2. According to Chris Oh, what happens at the time Walter Park is shot?
(a) He was talking to somebody on the phone when he hit a telephone pole.
(b) He was unable to stop his car and bumped his head on the windshield.
(c) He pressed down on his car's accelerator and ran into a telephone pole.
(d) He stepped on the accelerator and ran down a kid.
3. What incident does Big Al describe in which he realizes that the conditions in which he lives are so dangerous that everyone must be qualified to carry firearms?
(a) He saw a six-year old child carrying a real gun.
(b) A man with his baby walked into a gun store and bought a gun while the baby looked on.
(c) A man with a gun used it to buy bubble gums.
(d) A man at a bubble gum machine pulled a gun on him once.
4. There was once a demonstration of 850 people, including Spanish and white people. What is the event that precedes the demonstration?
(a) The general assembly of the police in the area.
(b) The general assembly of the Mothers ROC.
(c) Allison's speech.
(d) Tiny's funeral.
5. What does the video show at the beginning of the riots?
(a) Several men beating Reginald Denny, as well as some women taking pictures of the beating.
(b) Several policemen talking to themselves, apparently discussing their strategy.
(c) Several women fleeing the scene, leaving their cameras in the process.
(d) Rodney King exchanging a few angry words with the policemen.
6. On the day of the verdict, how many versions does Tom Bradley prepare for his statement to the press?
7. Where does Salas' father's hatred of gringos stem from?
(a) From his childhood, when he was being bullied by gringos in his hometown.
(b) From the fact that gringos are unreasonable people, as he experienced in his encounter with them in Mexico.
(c) From fighting against the gringos when Pershing went after Pancho Villa in Chihuahua.
(d) From being brainstormed by his wife, who had a bad experience with gringos.
8. How does Joe Viola describe the way he felt when he was caught in the riots?
(a) He had never known riots could be so exciting.
(b) He was terrified for the first time in his life.
(c) He suddenly felt heroic and wanted to protect the women and children he saw.
(d) He suddenly cried and couldn't stop himself from crying.
9. What statement does Sergeant Charles Duke give about Officer Powell's use of his police baton?
(a) The police baton Officer Powell was using was substandard and therefore offered no force.
(b) Officer Powell is an expert at the use of police baton.
(c) Officer Powell was not using his polce baton effectively.
(d) Officer Powell shouldn't have been allowed to use the police baton at all.
10. According to Mike Davis, what does the gang truce signify?
(a) That there is still hope among the youth of today.
(b) That the youth of today are intelligent human beings who think about society.
(c) That there is a generation that refuses to commit suicide.
(d) That the youth of today value their parents very much.
11. In what state is Walter Park in while he is being interviewed?
(a) Healthy and vibrant.
(b) Connected to a life support system.
(c) Brain-damaged and heavily sedated.
(d) With Alzheimer's disease.
12. How much does Michael Zinzun get from the trial in which the city is ordered to pay him?
(a) $2.1 million.
(b) $12 million.
(c) $3 million.
(d) $1.2 million.
13. How does Angela King describe their upbringing when it comes to the issue of racism?
(a) That they were not raised in a racist way.
(b) That they grew up thinking the other races were enemies.
(c) That they were forced to make friends only with the other races, and forbidden to mingle with blacks.
(d) That they were raised to only mingle with the blacks, and were forbidden to make friends with any other race.
14. What does Walter Park talk about during the interview?
(a) His love for his wife and stepson.
(b) His want to return to Korea and about how lonely he feels.
(c) His courage during the riots.
(d) His younger days in Korea.
15. Why does Josie Morales' husband want to go inside and stop watching?
(a) He was afraid that they will be asked to testify in the trial.
(b) He was afraid that Rodney King might call to them for help.
(c) He was afraid that they might be seen and be involved.
(d) He was afraid to watch because he grew up in Mexico where police abuse is prevalent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What statement does Sergeant Duke give about the importance of choke holds?
2. Particularly for Salas, when does he realize that gringos are his enemies?
3. How does Mrs. Park describe her ordeal during Mr. Park's hospitalization?
4. What does Denny plan to put up in his own house someday to remember the people who have saved him?
5. How does Angela King react whenever she talks about the beating of her nephew and of his condition?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)