|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What statement does Big Al make about the Rodney King beating and the media attention it receives?
(a) The media should not have been involved and the case will go away quietly.
(b) There was nothing new about black people being beaten, it was just brought into public view this time.
(c) It would have been a normal routine procedure if not for the media exposure it received.
(d) The media did not fairly potray Rodney King as a model black citizen.
2. What does the video show at the beginning of the riots?
(a) Rodney King exchanging a few angry words with the policemen.
(b) Several policemen talking to themselves, apparently discussing their strategy.
(c) Several women fleeing the scene, leaving their cameras in the process.
(d) Several men beating Reginald Denny, as well as some women taking pictures of the beating.
3. What reason does Katie Miller give to explain why Korean stores are burned in black neighborhoods?
(a) Blacks were not allowed inside the stores.
(b) Koreans were really a snob race.
(c) Koreans never tried to get to know the people that came into the stores.
(d) The prices in the stores were higher for blacks than for Koreans.
4. What is the vision in the early 1960s, according to Mike Davis?
(a) Black kids should be given twice the challenges that white kids endure.
(b) Black kids should be given special treatment.
(c) Black kids can be surfers, too.
(d) Black kids should be separated from white kids.
5. In what state is Walter Park in while he is being interviewed?
(a) With Alzheimer's disease.
(b) Healthy and vibrant.
(c) Brain-damaged and heavily sedated.
(d) Connected to a life support system.
6. Why does Evers go to the hospital immediately after she walks home from work?
(a) She just wanted to see how many have been wounded from the riots.
(b) She wanted to visit a friend who had been shot.
(c) She forgot that it was time for her prenatal checkup.
(d) She was shot and she was worried about the baby in her womb.
7. What statement does Garcetti make about the credibility of police officers?
(a) The current environment of fear has made the credibility of the police somewhat more questionable.
(b) The beatings featured in the news has even intensified the police's credibility.
(c) The environment of fear created by the acts of the police have raised the credibility of the force.
(d) He says that he would rather consult a crystal ball than listen to a police officer.
8. According to Chris Oh, how is his father shot, based on the story he hears?
(a) At close range, execution style.
(b) From the back of the car.
(c) From a distance.
(d) By a sniper from the building near his father's car.
9. According to Mrs. Park, how do the police come to know Mr. Park in the Compton area?
(a) He provides their booze for free.
(b) He had donated a lot of money to the Compton area.
(c) He had opened his store for them one time.
(d) He gives them money every Christmas.
10. What statement does Allison make about the police and their style when it comes to killings?
(a) The police don't like killing at all.
(b) The police like to make killings look like drive-by shootings.
(c) The police like to make killings in a very discreet manner.
(d) She does not say anything about the subject.
11. What assurance does Walter Park hold on to, despite the fact that his wife is not expressive?
(a) She loves him even though she does not express it well.
(b) Their home cannot be touched by the rioters.
(c) She will never leave him for another man.
(d) They have a life insurance policy.
12. What comment does Julio Menjivar hear from the police officers who are passing by the looting scene?
(a) They said that it was fine that they were destroying their own neighborhood.
(b) A joke about how pleasant it would be if a fire was started.
(c) An expression of fear.
(d) A threat about starting a fire in the neighborhood.
13. Why does Josie Morales' husband want to go inside and stop watching?
(a) He was afraid that they will be asked to testify in the trial.
(b) He was afraid to watch because he grew up in Mexico where police abuse is prevalent.
(c) He was afraid that Rodney King might call to them for help.
(d) He was afraid that they might be seen and be involved.
14. What is "a badge of courage" as referred to in the story?
(a) It refers to the fire department badge.
(b) It refers to the CSI badge.
(c) It refers to the FBI badge.
(d) It refers to the police badge.
15. What does Joe Viola tell his wife when he recovers from all of the shock?
(a) He was going to get their kids.
(b) He was going to drive away for a while until the riot dies down.
(c) He was going to get his gun and shoot anyone he sees.
(d) He was going to buy liquor from the store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment does Jason Sanford usually get from the police about his looks?
2. According to Reginald Denny, why do people become upset whenever he gets his truck off the freeway?
3. How does Mike Davis describe the gang truce he has witnessed?
4. How does Joe Viola describe the way he felt when he was caught in the riots?
5. How much does Michael Zinzun get from the trial in which the city is ordered to pay him?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)