|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Oh, what significant function does the frontal lobe of the brain perform?
(a) It lets a person smell.
(b) It enables a person to distinguish colors.
(c) It pumps blood from the heart to the brain.
(d) It is where learning skills and a person's basic characteristics are.
2. What statement does Allison make about the police and their style when it comes to killings?
(a) The police like to make killings look like drive-by shootings.
(b) The police like to make killings in a very discreet manner.
(c) She does not say anything about the subject.
(d) The police don't like killing at all.
3. Who shoots Walter Park, according to the African-American woman in the car behind him?
(a) A Korean.
(b) An Asian.
(c) A Mexican.
(d) An African-American.
4. What does Walter Park talk about during the interview?
(a) His love for his wife and stepson.
(b) His younger days in Korea.
(c) His want to return to Korea and about how lonely he feels.
(d) His courage during the riots.
5. What statement does Garcetti make about the credibility of police officers?
(a) The environment of fear created by the acts of the police have raised the credibility of the force.
(b) He says that he would rather consult a crystal ball than listen to a police officer.
(c) The current environment of fear has made the credibility of the police somewhat more questionable.
(d) The beatings featured in the news has even intensified the police's credibility.
6. What is "a badge of courage" as referred to in the story?
(a) It refers to the police badge.
(b) It refers to the FBI badge.
(c) It refers to the fire department badge.
(d) It refers to the CSI badge.
7. What happens when Captain Lane Haywood gets up on the roof to handle the fire better?
(a) He finds himself and his men targets of the gunfire.
(b) Some of the rioters stop him from coming down.
(c) It suddenly rains.
(d) The roof collapses and he becomes trapped in the fire.
8. Particularly for Salas, when does he realize that gringos are his enemies?
(a) When he fought with them over a can of beer in a bar in Mexico.
(b) When he went to school with them and was forbidden from sitting beside them.
(c) When he went to first grade and he was told that he was inferior because he was Mexican.
(d) When he met them in the parking lot of a grocery store in Mexico.
9. What happens to Chung Lee and to his family the day the Rodney King verdicts are announced?
(a) They had to wait in line for food rations.
(b) They were mobbed by the angry supporters of Rodney King.
(c) They were forced to give up their money for the people who were rioting outside their store.
(d) Their store was completely looted and later burned.
10. What statement does Judith Tur make about white people and their anger?
(a) She says that their anger is a sign of progress, which will help them cope with race differences.
(b) They were never angry about races.
(c) Their anger is healthy and should be given its proper attention.
(d) They are getting so angry that they are moving back fifty years in their attitudes towards race instead of moving forward.
11. Who is Chung Lee?
(a) A passerby who witnessed the beating of Rodney King.
(b) The chief of police for the Korean community in the area.
(c) The president of the Korean-American Victims Association.
(d) The dead man who fell in the tall building.
12. What statement does Sergeant Charles Duke give about Officer Powell's use of his police baton?
(a) Officer Powell shouldn't have been allowed to use the police baton at all.
(b) The police baton Officer Powell was using was substandard and therefore offered no force.
(c) Officer Powell was not using his polce baton effectively.
(d) Officer Powell is an expert at the use of police baton.
13. In what state is Walter Park in while he is being interviewed?
(a) With Alzheimer's disease.
(b) Healthy and vibrant.
(c) Connected to a life support system.
(d) Brain-damaged and heavily sedated.
14. What is Chris Oh's occupation?
(a) A medical student.
(b) A translator.
(c) A registered nurse.
(d) A cashier.
15. According to Cornel West, what difference do black men have over black women, which therefore makes them heroes?
(a) Black men are more ideological.
(b) Black men know how to handle the politics and the environment.
(c) Black men defy authority while black women cannot.
(d) Black men are more obedient to the laws of the land.
Short Answer Questions
1. What incident does Big Al describe in which he realizes that the conditions in which he lives are so dangerous that everyone must be qualified to carry firearms?
2. What does Joe Viola tell his wife when he recovers from all of the shock?
3. What is Jason Sanford's belief about him going out in the streets after the Rodney King verdict?
4. How much does Michael Zinzun get from the trial in which the city is ordered to pay him?
5. Who is shot during the looting of Richard Kim's appliance store?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)