|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What statement does Haywood make about the women he sees in the riots and the fire?
(a) He saw how gentle the female species were.
(b) He has never seen such hostility in females as he saw that day.
(c) They all looked frail and fragile and it was unfortunate that they were caught up in the riots.
(d) He felt an urgent need to protect the women he saw.
2. What reason does Katie Miller give to explain why Korean stores are burned in black neighborhoods?
(a) Koreans were really a snob race.
(b) The prices in the stores were higher for blacks than for Koreans.
(c) Blacks were not allowed inside the stores.
(d) Koreans never tried to get to know the people that came into the stores.
3. What is "a badge of courage" as referred to in the story?
(a) It refers to the FBI badge.
(b) It refers to the police badge.
(c) It refers to the fire department badge.
(d) It refers to the CSI badge.
4. According to Oh, what significant function does the frontal lobe of the brain perform?
(a) It enables a person to distinguish colors.
(b) It pumps blood from the heart to the brain.
(c) It lets a person smell.
(d) It is where learning skills and a person's basic characteristics are.
5. What statement does Tom Bradley eventually make when the verdict is announced?
(a) He suddenly changed his mind and chose not to give any statement.
(b) Support for the verdict and the jurors.
(c) He said that the judicial system once again worked.
(d) Outrage at the verdict, but he discouraged violence.
6. What are "choke holds"?
(a) These are upper body control holds which the LAPD used in the past.
(b) It is a slang for choking a subject to death.
(c) These are the techniques in using a police baton effectively.
(d) It is a choker worn by a police officer to identify him as an expert in choke methods.
7. How much fine does Julio Menjivar have to pay as a result of his arrest?
8. In what language does Chung Lee tell his story?
(c) Mandarin Chinese.
9. What time does Tom Bradley and his staff plan to go to the media to issue a statement on their reaction to the verdict?
(a) Six o'clock in the afternoon.
(b) Four o'clock in the afternoon.
(c) Eight o'clock the following morning.
(d) Five o'clock in the afternoon.
10. What do the doctors at the hospital tell Evers?
(a) The baby will have a sustained sickness from the bullet.
(b) The baby will be deaf because of the loud shot it heard.
(c) The baby cannot live longer than seven days.
(d) The baby caught the bullet in her arms, which saved both Evers and the baby.
11. How does Joe Viola describe the way he felt when he was caught in the riots?
(a) He suddenly felt heroic and wanted to protect the women and children he saw.
(b) He suddenly cried and couldn't stop himself from crying.
(c) He had never known riots could be so exciting.
(d) He was terrified for the first time in his life.
12. According to Katie Miller, who does the looting in the Korean stores?
(c) White Americans.
13. What statement does Garcetti make about the credibility of police officers?
(a) The current environment of fear has made the credibility of the police somewhat more questionable.
(b) The beatings featured in the news has even intensified the police's credibility.
(c) The environment of fear created by the acts of the police have raised the credibility of the force.
(d) He says that he would rather consult a crystal ball than listen to a police officer.
14. According to Reginald Denny, why do people become upset whenever he gets his truck off the freeway?
(a) His truck is a very noisy truck.
(b) He takes up a lot of space when turning because his truck is so big.
(c) He drives like a madman.
(d) He honks his horn very loudly whenever he makes a turn.
15. What is Jason Sanford's belief about him going out in the streets after the Rodney King verdict?
(a) That he probably would not have been beaten because of how he looks.
(b) That he might be stoned.
(c) That he would have been called in for questioning by the police.
(d) That he might have been beaten terribly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Chung Lee and to his family the day the Rodney King verdicts are announced?
2. On the day of the verdict, how many versions does Tom Bradley prepare for his statement to the press?
3. What happens when Captain Lane Haywood gets up on the roof to handle the fire better?
4. What statement does Judith Tur make about white people and their anger?
5. What name does Angela King call her nephew, Rodney?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)