|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What statement does Haywood make about the women he sees in the riots and the fire?
(a) He saw how gentle the female species were.
(b) He felt an urgent need to protect the women he saw.
(c) He has never seen such hostility in females as he saw that day.
(d) They all looked frail and fragile and it was unfortunate that they were caught up in the riots.
2. According to Big Al, what could Denny have been trying to do by driving his truck down a residential street?
(a) Making friends with his neighbors.
(b) Intimidating the neighborhood.
(c) He was looking for someone to beat.
(d) Showing off his truck.
3. What statement does the anonymous juror from Simi Valley make about his involvement in the Rodney King trial?
(a) He would have voted differently if he had known what would happen afterwards.
(b) His vote was very critical in the verdict and the events that followed the trial.
(c) This particular case should have been done in a very private, confidential manner.
(d) If he had known what would happen afterwards, he would have sent a note to the judge to say that he could not be on the jury because of what it put him and his family through.
4. What particular incident makes Viola go into shock?
(a) A kid with a nine-millimeter gun shot a man to death in front of him.
(b) A man with a briefcase hit a girl on her head and left her for dead.
(c) A girl with a briefcase hit a man repeatedly and left him for dead.
(d) A kid with a nine-millimeter gun pointed in his general direction, who told him that he was going to kill him.
5. What does the video show at the beginning of the riots?
(a) Rodney King exchanging a few angry words with the policemen.
(b) Several women fleeing the scene, leaving their cameras in the process.
(c) Several men beating Reginald Denny, as well as some women taking pictures of the beating.
(d) Several policemen talking to themselves, apparently discussing their strategy.
6. How does Rudy Salas, Sr. refer to his feelings of racism?
7. How does Richard Kim describe the looting?
(a) It was like being deaf and blind for a few minutes.
(b) It was like going into a war.
(c) It was like witnessing a kangaroo give birth.
(d) Tthere was nothing like it.
8. Who are the "curious people"?
(a) They are the bag ladies loitering the streets of Los Angeles.
(b) They are the kids of Los Angeles who have an overwhelming curiosity about everything around them.
(c) They are the gangs of Los Angeles whom Stanley K. Sheinbaum had a chance to talk to.
(d) They are the old ladies in the neighborhood of Los Angeles, who tend to pry in all the happenings around them.
9. According to Chris Oh, what happens at the time Walter Park is shot?
(a) He pressed down on his car's accelerator and ran into a telephone pole.
(b) He was talking to somebody on the phone when he hit a telephone pole.
(c) He was unable to stop his car and bumped his head on the windshield.
(d) He stepped on the accelerator and ran down a kid.
10. How does Angela King react whenever she talks about the beating of her nephew and of his condition?
(a) She curses all the policemen in the world.
(b) She cries.
(c) She raises her voice in anger.
(d) She does not show any emotion.
11. How does Mrs. Park describe her ordeal during Mr. Park's hospitalization?
(a) She cannot bear to look at him.
(b) She asked her relatives to be with her to help her take care of Mr. Park.
(c) She spends all her time with him, taking care of him.
(d) She spends all her time at church, praying for his recovery.
12. What comment does Julio Menjivar hear from the police officers who are passing by the looting scene?
(a) They said that it was fine that they were destroying their own neighborhood.
(b) An expression of fear.
(c) A threat about starting a fire in the neighborhood.
(d) A joke about how pleasant it would be if a fire was started.
13. What is the vision in the early 1960s, according to Mike Davis?
(a) Black kids should be given twice the challenges that white kids endure.
(b) Black kids can be surfers, too.
(c) Black kids should be given special treatment.
(d) Black kids should be separated from white kids.
14. According to Oh, what significant function does the frontal lobe of the brain perform?
(a) It lets a person smell.
(b) It enables a person to distinguish colors.
(c) It pumps blood from the heart to the brain.
(d) It is where learning skills and a person's basic characteristics are.
15. What does Walter Park talk about during the interview?
(a) His want to return to Korea and about how lonely he feels.
(b) His courage during the riots.
(c) His younger days in Korea.
(d) His love for his wife and stepson.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Park, how do the police come to know Mr. Park in the Compton area?
2. Who shoots Walter Park, according to the African-American woman in the car behind him?
3. What is Proposition F?
4. Who is Chung Lee?
5. Who took a video of the beating from their helicopter over the intersection of Florence and Normandie?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)