|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Denny plan to put up in his own house someday to remember the people who have saved him?
(a) A painting of Rodney King.
(b) A painting of the scene of the riots.
(c) A room dedicated to the riots.
(d) A picture mosaic of the images of the riot.
2. What happens when Captain Lane Haywood gets up on the roof to handle the fire better?
(a) Some of the rioters stop him from coming down.
(b) The roof collapses and he becomes trapped in the fire.
(c) It suddenly rains.
(d) He finds himself and his men targets of the gunfire.
3. What statement does Big Al make about the Rodney King beating and the media attention it receives?
(a) There was nothing new about black people being beaten, it was just brought into public view this time.
(b) The media should not have been involved and the case will go away quietly.
(c) It would have been a normal routine procedure if not for the media exposure it received.
(d) The media did not fairly potray Rodney King as a model black citizen.
4. How much does Michael Zinzun get from the trial in which the city is ordered to pay him?
(a) $3 million.
(b) $1.2 million.
(c) $2.1 million.
(d) $12 million.
5. What are "choke holds"?
(a) It is a choker worn by a police officer to identify him as an expert in choke methods.
(b) It is a slang for choking a subject to death.
(c) These are upper body control holds which the LAPD used in the past.
(d) These are the techniques in using a police baton effectively.
6. What effect does being a policeman have inside a courtroom?
(a) He always brings about riot in the courtroom because of the passionate feelings the public has towards policemen in general.
(b) He silences the crowd inside the courtroom because of the raw power he exudes.
(c) He makes people stay away from courtrooms.
(d) He seems to be surrounded by a kind of magic brought about by the respect people have for members of the police force.
7. Why does Josie Morales' husband want to go inside and stop watching?
(a) He was afraid that they will be asked to testify in the trial.
(b) He was afraid that they might be seen and be involved.
(c) He was afraid that Rodney King might call to them for help.
(d) He was afraid to watch because he grew up in Mexico where police abuse is prevalent.
8. According to Richard Kim, what does his father tell him about the day of the verdict when they went looking for police?
(a) There were no police to be found when the looting of their applicance store started.
(b) The police ignored them because they were playing a game of poker.
(c) The police quickly helped them, which prevented their store from being looted.
(d) The police asked for money before assisting them.
9. What is "a badge of courage" as referred to in the story?
(a) It refers to the fire department badge.
(b) It refers to the FBI badge.
(c) It refers to the police badge.
(d) It refers to the CSI badge.
10. What does Joe Viola tell his wife when he recovers from all of the shock?
(a) He was going to buy liquor from the store.
(b) He was going to get his gun and shoot anyone he sees.
(c) He was going to get their kids.
(d) He was going to drive away for a while until the riot dies down.
11. What theory does the scholar Cornel West give on gangsterism?
(a) Gangsterism arises from the frontier myth and the myth of the gunfighter in American history.
(b) Gangsterism is overrated in general.
(c) Gangsterism is a lousy excuse for unacceptable behavior.
(d) Gangsterism is an ideology created by people who have lost all hope.
12. What does Michael Zinzun do with his time?
(a) He devotes himself to looking for ways to make the city pay the civilian.
(b) He devotes himself to fighting police abuse.
(c) He devotes himself to organizing riots against policemen.
(d) He devotes himself to looking for a cure for blindness.
13. Particularly for Salas, when does he realize that gringos are his enemies?
(a) When he fought with them over a can of beer in a bar in Mexico.
(b) When he went to school with them and was forbidden from sitting beside them.
(c) When he went to first grade and he was told that he was inferior because he was Mexican.
(d) When he met them in the parking lot of a grocery store in Mexico.
14. How does Mike Davis describe the gang truce he has witnessed?
(a) Politically motivated.
(d) An act in survival.
15. Sheinbaum heard women screaming about people coming into the building. At that same time, what comes through the seven to ten-foot high plate glass windowpanes?
(a) A black cat.
(b) A dead man.
(c) A rock.
(d) A car.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Cornel West, what difference do black men have over black women, which therefore makes them heroes?
2. What incident does Big Al describe in which he realizes that the conditions in which he lives are so dangerous that everyone must be qualified to carry firearms?
3. Why does Evers go to the hospital immediately after she walks home from work?
4. How does Angela King describe their upbringing when it comes to the issue of racism?
5. What is Jason Sanford's belief about him going out in the streets after the Rodney King verdict?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)