|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Richard Kim, what does his father tell him about the day of the verdict when they went looking for police?
(a) The police asked for money before assisting them.
(b) The police ignored them because they were playing a game of poker.
(c) There were no police to be found when the looting of their applicance store started.
(d) The police quickly helped them, which prevented their store from being looted.
2. What does the video show at the beginning of the riots?
(a) Rodney King exchanging a few angry words with the policemen.
(b) Several women fleeing the scene, leaving their cameras in the process.
(c) Several policemen talking to themselves, apparently discussing their strategy.
(d) Several men beating Reginald Denny, as well as some women taking pictures of the beating.
3. According to the Anonymous Man, what has changed between older and younger gang members?
(a) Younger gang members have become louder, and tend to attract more attention than older gang members.
(b) Older gang members respected their elders, but such respect has disappeared among younger members.
(c) Younger members have become much more aggressive than the older gang members.
(d) Older gang members are great conversationalists, while this skill is lost on younger gang members.
4. According to Cornel West, why do gunfighters become heroes?
(a) Because gunfighters usually have high moral standards.
(b) Because of their guns, and being a gunfighter is equated to being tough.
(c) Because of their experience in fighting.
(d) Because of the number of people they have killed.
5. How does Joe Viola describe the way he felt when he was caught in the riots?
(a) He was terrified for the first time in his life.
(b) He suddenly felt heroic and wanted to protect the women and children he saw.
(c) He had never known riots could be so exciting.
(d) He suddenly cried and couldn't stop himself from crying.
6. Which particular incident after the trial makes the anonymous juror from Simi Valley most upset?
(a) Receiving a death threat from the family members of Rodney King.
(b) Receiving a letter from the Ku Klux Klan pledging support and inviting him to join the organization.
(c) Receiving a letter from one angry follower of the case, asking if he knew that people were dying and burning buildings in South LA because of him.
(d) Receiving a phone call from Angela King asking how he can sleep at night.
7. According to Theresa Allison, what event prompts her to start the Mothers Reclaiming Our Children (Mothers ROC) group?
(a) The finalization of her divorce with her husband.
(b) The weakening of the dollar in the international market.
(c) The killing of her nephew, Tiny, in 1991.
(d) The addiction of one of her sons to drugs.
8. At the time when the Hollywood agent is dining in one of the Beverly Hills restaurants, what building is burned, which leads to even more fear among the people?
(a) The Beverly Hills Hotel.
(b) The Kodak Theater.
(c) The Beverly Center.
(d) The Beverly Stadium.
9. What specific skills is Oh concerned about; one that his father can no longer perform?
10. There was once a demonstration of 850 people, including Spanish and white people. What is the event that precedes the demonstration?
(a) The general assembly of the Mothers ROC.
(b) The general assembly of the police in the area.
(c) Tiny's funeral.
(d) Allison's speech.
11. What statement does Big Al make about the Rodney King beating and the media attention it receives?
(a) There was nothing new about black people being beaten, it was just brought into public view this time.
(b) The media should not have been involved and the case will go away quietly.
(c) It would have been a normal routine procedure if not for the media exposure it received.
(d) The media did not fairly potray Rodney King as a model black citizen.
12. Why is Josie Morales never called to testify for the trial of Rodney King?
(a) Because she did come forward and expressed willingness to testify.
(b) Because she is a woman.
(c) She was told that her testimony contradicted that of another witness, Melanie Singer.
(d) Because she is not all-American.
13. What is the vision in the early 1960s, according to Mike Davis?
(a) Black kids should be given special treatment.
(b) Black kids should be given twice the challenges that white kids endure.
(c) Black kids can be surfers, too.
(d) Black kids should be separated from white kids.
14. What effect does his encounter with the police officers in 1942 have on Salas?
(a) He maintained a community newspaper that printed only stories about policemen.
(b) A strong hatred for white police officers.
(c) A strong admiration for police officers.
(d) He founded an organization whose sole aim is to keep track of the movements of the policemen in his community.
15. Why does Josie Morales keep watching the beating of Rodney King from her apartment?
(a) She was waiting for an opportunity to help Rodney King.
(b) She believes that what the police were doing was a wrong thing and she wanted to be able to testify at the trial.
(c) She was waiting for an opportunity to discuss with her neighbors.
(d) She was enjoying the beating of Rodney King.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Salas' father's hatred of gringos stem from?
2. What statement does Tom Bradley eventually make when the verdict is announced?
3. How does Richard Kim describe the looting?
4. How does Stephen, Salas' son, handle his encounter with the policeman in which the policeman put a gun to his head?
5. What assurance does Walter Park hold on to, despite the fact that his wife is not expressive?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)