|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The War Zone, A Weird Common Thread in Our Lives | The War Zone, A Badge of Courage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does being a policeman have inside a courtroom?
(a) He silences the crowd inside the courtroom because of the raw power he exudes.
(b) He always brings about riot in the courtroom because of the passionate feelings the public has towards policemen in general.
(c) He seems to be surrounded by a kind of magic brought about by the respect people have for members of the police force.
(d) He makes people stay away from courtrooms.
2. What does Joe Viola tell his wife when he recovers from all of the shock?
(a) He was going to buy liquor from the store.
(b) He was going to get their kids.
(c) He was going to get his gun and shoot anyone he sees.
(d) He was going to drive away for a while until the riot dies down.
3. According to Jason Sanford, who are "they"?
(a) "They" are the cops of Los Angeles.
(b) He says that "they" represent a combination of many things for him.
(c) He does not give an explanation as to who "they" are.
(d) "They" are the Mexicans, Chinese and blacks that populate his neighborhood.
4. According to the Anonymous Man, what has changed between older and younger gang members?
(a) Older gang members are great conversationalists, while this skill is lost on younger gang members.
(b) Younger members have become much more aggressive than the older gang members.
(c) Younger gang members have become louder, and tend to attract more attention than older gang members.
(d) Older gang members respected their elders, but such respect has disappeared among younger members.
5. Where does Salas' father's hatred of gringos stem from?
(a) From his childhood, when he was being bullied by gringos in his hometown.
(b) From fighting against the gringos when Pershing went after Pancho Villa in Chihuahua.
(c) From being brainstormed by his wife, who had a bad experience with gringos.
(d) From the fact that gringos are unreasonable people, as he experienced in his encounter with them in Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reassurance does the police officer give to the jurors on the bus whom he is escorting to the courthouse?
2. What effect does his encounter with the police officers in 1942 have on Salas?
3. Why does Josie Morales keep watching the beating of Rodney King from her apartment?
4. According to Reginald Denny, why do people become upset whenever he gets his truck off the freeway?
5. What is "a badge of courage" as referred to in the story?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)