|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The War Zone, A Weird Common Thread in Our Lives | The War Zone, A Badge of Courage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Cornel West, why do gunfighters become heroes?
(a) Because gunfighters usually have high moral standards.
(b) Because of their guns, and being a gunfighter is equated to being tough.
(c) Because of the number of people they have killed.
(d) Because of their experience in fighting.
2. How does Angela King describe their upbringing when it comes to the issue of racism?
(a) That they were raised to only mingle with the blacks, and were forbidden to make friends with any other race.
(b) That they were not raised in a racist way.
(c) That they grew up thinking the other races were enemies.
(d) That they were forced to make friends only with the other races, and forbidden to mingle with blacks.
3. How does Joe Viola describe the way he felt when he was caught in the riots?
(a) He suddenly felt heroic and wanted to protect the women and children he saw.
(b) He was terrified for the first time in his life.
(c) He suddenly cried and couldn't stop himself from crying.
(d) He had never known riots could be so exciting.
4. What effect does being a policeman have inside a courtroom?
(a) He always brings about riot in the courtroom because of the passionate feelings the public has towards policemen in general.
(b) He silences the crowd inside the courtroom because of the raw power he exudes.
(c) He makes people stay away from courtrooms.
(d) He seems to be surrounded by a kind of magic brought about by the respect people have for members of the police force.
5. What is "a badge of courage" as referred to in the story?
(a) It refers to the police badge.
(b) It refers to the fire department badge.
(c) It refers to the FBI badge.
(d) It refers to the CSI badge.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen, Salas' son, handle his encounter with the policeman in which the policeman put a gun to his head?
2. Who are the "curious people"?
3. What name does Angela King call her nephew, Rodney?
4. What does Joe Viola tell his wife when he recovers from all of the shock?
5. What are "choke holds"?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)