|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Here's A Nobody, Carmen | Here's A Nobody, Where the Water Is.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Particularly for Salas, when does he realize that gringos are his enemies?
(a) When he met them in the parking lot of a grocery store in Mexico.
(b) When he fought with them over a can of beer in a bar in Mexico.
(c) When he went to school with them and was forbidden from sitting beside them.
(d) When he went to first grade and he was told that he was inferior because he was Mexican.
2. What effect does his encounter with the police officers in 1942 have on Salas?
(a) A strong hatred for white police officers.
(b) A strong admiration for police officers.
(c) He maintained a community newspaper that printed only stories about policemen.
(d) He founded an organization whose sole aim is to keep track of the movements of the policemen in his community.
3. According to Jason Sanford, who are "they"?
(a) He does not give an explanation as to who "they" are.
(b) He says that "they" represent a combination of many things for him.
(c) "They" are the cops of Los Angeles.
(d) "They" are the Mexicans, Chinese and blacks that populate his neighborhood.
4. What statement does Sergeant Duke give about the importance of choke holds?
(a) Since chokeholds became forbidden, there will be an increase in lawsuits because police officers will instead be using their batons.
(b) It was just proper that it was banned from being used.
(c) These need to be regularly updated, perhaps via a biannual workshop among the workforce.
(d) It should never have been invented in the first place.
5. What is the vision in the early 1960s, according to Mike Davis?
(a) Black kids can be surfers, too.
(b) Black kids should be separated from white kids.
(c) Black kids should be given special treatment.
(d) Black kids should be given twice the challenges that white kids endure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael Zinzun do with his time?
2. How does Angela King describe their upbringing when it comes to the issue of racism?
3. What statement does Sergeant Charles Duke give about Officer Powell's use of his police baton?
4. What name does Angela King call her nephew, Rodney?
5. What comment does Jason Sanford usually get from the police about his looks?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)