|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the partnership called, that is formed to fund drilling and production in Saudi Arabia?
2. Since when has Ghawar been yielding the bulk of Saudi Arabia's oil supplies?
3. When does oil exploration begin in Saudi Arabia?
4. What job does Matthew Simmons hold?
5. In what year was a paper published by Saudi experts that said Ghawar's most productive areas are showing common signs of aging?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would credible field production data from Saudi Arabia allow?
2. What are some of the challenges the Saudi government faces due to their population explosion?
3. What does the rush to increase production in the Saudi Arabian wells do to the wells?
4. What does Aramco do in the midst of the Great Depression?
5. What did the G.A.O. report investigate, and what was its conclusion?
6. What happened to prevent the development of the oil fields in Alaska's Prudhoe Bay?
7. What is the main thing that paints a gloomy picture of oil in Saudi Arabia?
8. Why does the amount of oil in Saudi Arabia remain a mystery?
9. What did Dr. Saleri highlight in his 2003 paper that confirms finding oil in Saudi Arabia is challenging?
10. What are the steps taken before production is begun at an oil filed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kinds of problems does the author foresee when oil production drops? What are the author's solutions? Are these expectations reasonable? Support your answer with examples and evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why are the estimates of oil reserves so inaccurate? What impact does this have on the author's main point? Provide evidence from the book in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book to support your answer, explain how U.S. foreign policy has affected American oil supplies.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)