|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the first significant oil find in the Middle East?
2. Water is a natural part of the ________ process in oil fields.
3. What is one technique used in retrieving oil that can impact the amount of oil eventually recovered?
4. With OPEC's secrecy regarding oil production levels, what is unclear?
5. In what year was a paper published by Saudi experts that said Ghawar's most productive areas are showing common signs of aging?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on examples from around the world, what does the author conclude about the peak/decline cycle?
2. Saudi Arabian officials are making impressive predictions about the revived oil fields' production. Why does this cause others to question the predictions?
3. What is prorating?
4. What are some of the questions the decline of Saudi Arabian oil fields present to the world?
5. What is Saudi Arabia doing to search for alternative oil supplies?
6. Why did Saudi Arabia ban oil sales to the United States in 1973?
7. Why will super giants like Ghawar not be part of the secondary efforts in Saudi Arabia?
8. What important discovery occurred in 1996?
9. What has changed in the way Saudi Arabia views natural gas over the years?
10. What was Abdullah Jumah's response when he was asked to allow independent auditors to review the field production data Saudi Aramco produces?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the technology papers the author uses for research? Who writes them? What do they say? Who are they written for? Why are they important? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Arab Zone D so important? What are its characteristics? Support your answer with specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How did the U.S. lose its position as the number one oil supplier in the world? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)