|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 2005, what is the only country in the world with unused oil capacity?
(a) United States.
(b) Saudi Arabia.
2. When does the Middle East become associated with oil production?
3. When did the oil production in southern Ghawar reopen?
4. What is one technique used in retrieving oil that can impact the amount of oil eventually recovered?
(a) Water injection.
(b) Pressure injection.
(c) Salt injectino.
(d) Gas injection.
5. In 1988, the Saudi Arabian government raised the estimate of oil reserves in the country to what level?
(a) 450 billion barrels.
(b) 400 billion barrels.
(c) 350 billion barrels.
(d) 300 billion barrels.
6. The oil production in southern Ghawar is what?
(a) Inexpensive and limited.
(b) Expensive and limited.
(c) Inexpensive and extensive.
(d) Expensive and extensive.
7. When does water injection become a permanent part of oil production at Abqaiq?
8. How many technical papers does Simmons use to build his case?
(a) Over 150.
(b) Over 50.
(c) Over 100.
(d) Over 200.
9. When was the first significant oil find in the Middle East?
10. Simmons uses technical papers written for whom?
(a) The Society of Energy Engineers.
(b) The Society of Gasoline Engineers.
(c) The Society of Oil Engineers.
(d) The Society of Petroleum Engineers.
11. With the drop of pressure in key fields, what production is increased in the wells?
12. Who promised King Faisal's father that Saudia Arabia would be consulted on any U.S. decision involving Palestine?
13. Who did the United States government ask to investigate Saudi Arabia's ability to meet global oil demands?
(a) M.I.T. researchers.
(b) The Heritage Institute.
(c) The GAO.
14. When did the oil production in southern Ghawar shut down?
15. From 1950-1982, OPEC published information on production levels for each field how often?
(b) At least once a year.
(c) Once a decade.
(d) Once every five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did it take Saudi Arabia to increase production from three million barrels a day to eight million barrels a day?
2. When was the Spindletop field discovered?
3. When was Berri discovered?
4. In the 1930's Oklahoma limited the number of days per month oil companies could operate to protect what?
5. In what year was a paper published by Saudi experts that said Ghawar's most productive areas are showing common signs of aging?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)