Chapters 1 - 6
• As the title suggests, this book begins 20 years after the end of the first three musketeers book.
• The people of Paris are in poverty and hate Cardinal Mazarin because of the high taxes he has imposed.
• Mazarin does not fear the people as he is able to manipulate the queen, and he always gets his way.
• Mazarin has d'Artagnan show him around the town so he can get a feel for the people.
• Mazarin asks d'Artagnan to visit Rochefort in prison and ask him a favor. This is a test of his loyalty. Rochefort is an enemy to Mazarin and the queen.
• Rochefort escapes when his carriage is overrun by angry peasants. Planchet is protected by d'Artagnan, who dresses him up as a landlord.
• Mazarin asks d'Artagnan to gather the other 3 musketeers. Mazarin asks the queen about her connections with the musketeers.
• The queen admits that...
This section contains 2,443 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)