|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nemo remind Aronnax of?
2. Where is the Nautilus when Aronnax cannot figure out where they are?
3. What will happen to the sun after the next day?
4. When the Nautilus cannot move, how does Aronnax describe the situation?
5. What does Nemo object to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell something about Nemo's egotistical action when he locates the South Pole.
2. How are the feelings of Aronnax somewhat mixed about Captain Nemo?
3. What is the difficulty for the Nautilus to rise from under the ice?
4. Describe what Nemo does to the cachalots that are attacking defenseless whales.
5. Describe the light reflecting off the ice as seen from inside the Nautilus and the problem it creates.
6. What does Nemo tell Aronnax about the sunken ship he has come to see?
7. What is Nemo's behavior after he watches the destruction of the gunship?
8. Where does Aronnax learn they are when he cannot recognize the landscape?
9. What is the conversation between Aronnax, Conseil, and Ned out on the platform?
10. Explain the attitude of the three prisoners after the South Pole visit.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the dialog in TWENTY THOUSAND LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA. Find lines like this: "Sir, I have to speak to you on a matter that admits of no delay." After finding several such line that use language in a different way from how we speak today, re-write the lines in modern speech. Include in your essay how the dialog as written helps keep the time it was written in focus.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on character development in a novel. Include which of the characters appear to be one-dimensional and which characters are drawn with more detail. Mention the reason that some characters receive more attention than others.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the effects of being caged on both animals and humans. In your essay refer to caging wild animals in zoos and confining men in prisoner of war camps.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)