|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Aronnax hope they are not heading?
2. What does Aronnax observe as they move past Gibraltar?
3. Where does it appear that Nemo is heading?
4. Why does Nemo say he makes an exception about the cachalots?
5. What does Aronnax suggest the Nautilus needs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that Aronnax sees by the red glow of an underwater volcano?
2. Describe Aronnax's concern about making it to the Pole on time.
3. When the Nautilus gets stuck in the Great Ice Barrier, how do Aronnax and Nemo see things differently?
4. How are the feelings of Aronnax somewhat mixed about Captain Nemo?
5. Briefly describe the beginning of the battle with the giant squid.
6. Describe what Nemo does to the cachalots that are attacking defenseless whales.
7. How does Conseil get wounded?
8. Write about the man made marvel they observed under the sea.
9. Where does Aronnax finally come to?
10. What are the final escape plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the effects of being caged on both animals and humans. In your essay refer to caging wild animals in zoos and confining men in prisoner of war camps.
Essay Topic 2
Write a critique of TWENTY THOUSAND LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA. Mention the story line, the interest, the anti-war message, the incredible predictions, the use of dialog, poetic language, and any other technical aspects of the novel. End by making a recommendation to readers who have not already read the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about vicarious thrills. Include examples in you essay where you joined in some dangerous or exciting event through reading without risking you life. Explain how readers can enjoy more things in books than they could ever experience in real life.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)