|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As they enter the Red Sea, what does Aronnax find?
2. What happens to the three prisoners after the incident with the telescope?
3. What is Ned Land looking forward to at the oyster beds?
4. What does Conseil say keeps them excited about the trip?
5. How does Land react to the steward who comes into the room after he wakes up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the captain of the Monroe whaling boat request of Captain Farragut?
2. Describe the amusing fowl they see on the island of Gilboa.
3. Explain what bothers Ned Land in December.
4. Relate Ned's heightened anxiety after the battle with the giant squid.
5. How does Nemo react when Aronnax comments that the treasure they find is not used for a noble purpose?
6. Explain Nemo's bizarre behavior during a hurricane.
7. Briefly describe the beginning of the battle with the giant squid.
8. Describe why Ned interrupts Aronnax's reading and what he shows him.
9. What goes on while Ned, Conseil, and Aronnax are escaping in the small boat?
10. Explain the situation after the three men eat and fall asleep.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on character development in a novel. Include which of the characters appear to be one-dimensional and which characters are drawn with more detail. Mention the reason that some characters receive more attention than others.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the effects of being caged on both animals and humans. In your essay refer to caging wild animals in zoos and confining men in prisoner of war camps.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how plans often do not work out. Use the many escape plans of Ned Land that never came to fruition. Discuss how this is often true in real life that plans do not work out the way they were conceived.
This section contains 1,673 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)