|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aronnax's reply when Land asks if he would leave if Nemo gave them permission?
2. After speaking with Nemo the morning after the underwater walk, how long is Nemo absent?
3. What does Aronnax observe the sailors doing the morning after the underwater walk?
4. What does Aronnax conclude the minute he gets his invitation from Hobson?
5. What happens to the three prisoners after the incident with the telescope?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unexpected pleasure Nemo gives the three captives near the island of Gilboa?
2. From the small submarine, tell what Aronnax observes in an underwater cemetery.
3. Describe why Ned interrupts Aronnax's reading and what he shows him.
4. How is the pearl seen differently by different people?
5. Describe the tone of the novel as the story begins.
6. Describe the amusing fowl they see on the island of Gilboa.
7. Briefly describe Aronnax's first walk on the sea floor.
8. Relate Aronnax's encounter with the strange man.
9. Mention how a dugong almost kills the men in a small boat.
10. Explain Captain Nemo's attitude toward the men on their first meeting.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about vicarious thrills. Include examples in you essay where you joined in some dangerous or exciting event through reading without risking you life. Explain how readers can enjoy more things in books than they could ever experience in real life.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the importance of research in writing a novel. Evaluate the importance of fact and historical reference to make a story believable. Also mention the part folklore and superstition play in making a novel both interesting and believable. Discuss how a writer like Verne can describe accurately such things as harpooning a whale without ever having had the experience personally.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how biases affect behavior. Use as an example Nemo's attitude toward conservation as contrasted by his destruction of the cachalots and the savages who attack the Nautilus. Compare those things to the near annihilation of the wolf and events like ethnic cleansing.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)