|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nemo do that surprises Aronnax?
2. Who are the two people on board who are not enthusiastic about the search?
3. What is Aronnax's reply when Land asks if he would leave if Nemo gave them permission?
4. What is the first view from the surface Aronnax enjoys with Captain Nemo?
5. How does Land react to the steward who comes into the room after he wakes up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Aronnax learn they are when he cannot recognize the landscape?
2. Describe what Nemo does to the cachalots that are attacking defenseless whales.
3. What does Aronnax observe that explains Nemo's vast wealth?
4. Describe the men's first view of the undersea world.
5. Write about the man made marvel they observed under the sea.
6. What goes on while Ned, Conseil, and Aronnax are escaping in the small boat?
7. Explain the situation after the three men eat and fall asleep.
8. Describe the light reflecting off the ice as seen from inside the Nautilus and the problem it creates.
9. After testing how deep the Nautilus can go, describe what happens.
10. How are the feelings of Aronnax somewhat mixed about Captain Nemo?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on scientific deduction versus practical experience. As a starting point refer to Aronnax's calculations that cause him to conclude the goal they are looking for is probably a large deep sea animal versus Ned Land's practical experience that makes him sure it is not some kind of creature.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the wonders of the ocean. In your essay discuss the sights and marine life Jules Verne describes which had never been seen but have proven to be incredibly accurate, though maybe not as large as Verne describes some of the species. Also include the vast natural resources that have yet to be tapped from the ocean.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on terror. In your essay use as illustrations the battle with the giant squid, the near death experience under the antarctic ice, the sudden attack of the savages on Gilboa Island, and the maelstrom at the end of the novel.
This section contains 1,688 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)