|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When they get tired underwater, what do they do?
2. How do Aronnax and Conseil finally see Ned Land?
3. Why does Aronnax have trouble falling asleep after the rescue?
4. Who are the two people on board who are not enthusiastic about the search?
5. What is the name of the vessel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the different opinions Conseil and Aronnax have about Nemo.
2. What do Aronnax and Farragut speculate about the monster?
3. How is the pearl seen differently by different people?
4. Briefly detail the problem with the telescope.
5. Relate Aronnax's encounter with the strange man.
6. What does Aronnax observe that explains Nemo's vast wealth?
7. Describe the men's first view of the undersea world.
8. Why is Aronnax concerned about the savages and what does Nemo do about it?
9. Briefly describe Aronnax's first walk on the sea floor.
10. How does Captain Nemo explain the electricity on the Nautilus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the comparison of a book to a movie adaptation. After watching the movie, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, evaluate how closely the film version adheres to the novel. Include reasons that screenplays are limited in what they can depict on the screen.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about clues throughout the novel that point to Nemo's war on war. As illustrations, point out Nemo's different attitude toward commercial ships and warships beginning with his statements early on about the Scotia and the Abraham Lincoln. Make the connection about Jule Verne's feelings about war.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the effects of being caged on both animals and humans. In your essay refer to caging wild animals in zoos and confining men in prisoner of war camps.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)