|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they see off the coast of Ceylon?
2. What does Ned do as the shark is about to kill Captain Nemo?
3. When they get tired underwater, what do they do?
4. What does Ned Land plan once they are in the Mediterranean?
5. How does the Nautilus sink and rise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Relate Ned's heightened anxiety after the battle with the giant squid.
2. Briefly describe Aronnax's first walk on the sea floor.
3. How are the feelings of Aronnax somewhat mixed about Captain Nemo?
4. Describe why Ned interrupts Aronnax's reading and what he shows him.
5. Describe how the three men are treated when they first come on board the Nautilus.
6. Mention how a dugong almost kills the men in a small boat.
7. Where does Aronnax learn they are when he cannot recognize the landscape?
8. What do Aronnax and Farragut speculate about the monster?
9. Describe the amusing fowl they see on the island of Gilboa.
10. Explain the difference Nemo sees in the encounters with the Scotia and the Abraham Lincoln.
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the comparison of a book to a movie adaptation. After watching the movie, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, evaluate how closely the film version adheres to the novel. Include reasons that screenplays are limited in what they can depict on the screen.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Captain Nemo as a villain. In the essay point out that even a villain has redeeming qualities and be specific about Captain Nemo's good points. On the other hand, discuss his vengeful nature and putting himself above moral and legal restrictions.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the effects of being caged on both animals and humans. In your essay refer to caging wild animals in zoos and confining men in prisoner of war camps.
This section contains 1,661 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)