|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After speaking with Nemo the morning after the underwater walk, how long is Nemo absent?
2. After Ceylon, where do they travel?
3. Tell what Ned Land and Captain Farragut decide to do to get the monster.
4. What famous historical figure does Nemo discuss with Aronnax?
5. How many shipwrecks occurred that year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mention how a dugong almost kills the men in a small boat.
2. What happens in the pearl fishing grounds of the Indian Ocean?
3. What does the U.S. government invite Aronnax to join?
4. Describe the amusing fowl they see on the island of Gilboa.
5. How does Captain Nemo explain the electricity on the Nautilus?
6. Explain Captain Nemo's attitude toward the men on their first meeting.
7. Explain what bothers Ned Land in December.
8. How are Aronnax and Conseil saved from drowning after falling off the Abraham Lincoln?
9. Briefly describe Aronnax's first walk on the sea floor.
10. What does the captain of the Monroe whaling boat request of Captain Farragut?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about vicarious thrills. Include examples in you essay where you joined in some dangerous or exciting event through reading without risking you life. Explain how readers can enjoy more things in books than they could ever experience in real life.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how biases affect behavior. Use as an example Nemo's attitude toward conservation as contrasted by his destruction of the cachalots and the savages who attack the Nautilus. Compare those things to the near annihilation of the wolf and events like ethnic cleansing.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on scientific deduction versus practical experience. As a starting point refer to Aronnax's calculations that cause him to conclude the goal they are looking for is probably a large deep sea animal versus Ned Land's practical experience that makes him sure it is not some kind of creature.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)