Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous historical figure does Nemo discuss with Aronnax?
2. What nationalities does Aronnax guess the captors to be?
3. What makes Aronnax, Conseil, and Ned Land very happy?
4. How long do Conseil and Ned think they have been asleep when they finally wake up?
5. What happens to the small boat when the wounded animal attacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Nautilus gets stuck in the Great Ice Barrier, how do Aronnax and Nemo see things differently?
2. Explain the situation after the three men eat and fall asleep.
3. How does Captain Nemo explain the electricity on the Nautilus?
4. Explain Aronnax's anxiety over asking for their freedom.
5. What prevents the men from escaping in the Mediterranean?
6. What happens when Nemo sees Land trying to signal an approaching ship?
7. How does Nemo react when Aronnax comments that the treasure they find is not used for a noble purpose?
8. Relate Ned's heightened anxiety after the battle with the giant squid.
9. How are the feelings of Aronnax somewhat mixed about Captain Nemo?
10. What is Nemo's behavior after he watches the destruction of the gunship?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on terror. In your essay use as illustrations the battle with the giant squid, the near death experience under the antarctic ice, the sudden attack of the savages on Gilboa Island, and the maelstrom at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about conserving biological species such as the whales. Include Nemo's argument with Ned Land that killing just for the sake of killing is wrong. Mention also that Jules Verne was writing a hundred years before many species of whale became endangered from over fishing.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on Captain Nemo as a villain. In the essay point out that even a villain has redeeming qualities and be specific about Captain Nemo's good points. On the other hand, discuss his vengeful nature and putting himself above moral and legal restrictions.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)