Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous historical figure does Nemo discuss with Aronnax?
2. What nationalities does Aronnax guess the captors to be?
3. What makes Aronnax, Conseil, and Ned Land very happy?
4. How long do Conseil and Ned think they have been asleep when they finally wake up?
5. What happens to the small boat when the wounded animal attacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Nautilus gets stuck in the Great Ice Barrier, how do Aronnax and Nemo see things differently?
2. Explain the situation after the three men eat and fall asleep.
3. How does Captain Nemo explain the electricity on the Nautilus?
4. Explain Aronnax's anxiety over asking for their freedom.
5. What prevents the men from escaping in the Mediterranean?
6. What happens when Nemo sees Land trying to signal an approaching ship?
7. How does Nemo react when Aronnax comments that the treasure they find is not used for a noble purpose?
8. Relate Ned's heightened anxiety after the battle with the giant squid.
9. How are the feelings of Aronnax somewhat mixed about Captain Nemo?
10. What is Nemo's behavior after he watches the destruction of the gunship?
Write an essay on character development in a novel. Include which of the characters appear to be one-dimensional and which characters are drawn with more detail. Mention the reason that some characters receive more attention than others.
Write an essay on Captain Nemo as a villain. In the essay point out that even a villain has redeeming qualities and be specific about Captain Nemo's good points. On the other hand, discuss his vengeful nature and putting himself above moral and legal restrictions.
Write an essay about how plans often do not work out. Use the many escape plans of Ned Land that never came to fruition. Discuss how this is often true in real life that plans do not work out the way they were conceived.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)