|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Conseil believe about the outcome of the trip?
2. What is Aronnax beginning to think about Nemo?
3. How does Nemo describe himself to Aronnax, Conseil, and Land?
4. How does Aronnax happen to be in the right place at the right time to be invited to join the hunt?
5. How fast can the Nautilus go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Captain Nemo's attitude toward the men on their first meeting.
2. What happens in the pearl fishing grounds of the Indian Ocean?
3. Mention how a dugong almost kills the men in a small boat.
4. What does the captain of the Monroe whaling boat request of Captain Farragut?
5. Describe the tone of the novel as the story begins.
6. Briefly describe Aronnax's first walk on the sea floor.
7. Relate Aronnax's encounter with the strange man.
8. From the small submarine, tell what Aronnax observes in an underwater cemetery.
9. Explain what bothers Ned Land in December.
10. What does Aronnax observe that explains Nemo's vast wealth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on Captain Nemo as a villain. In the essay point out that even a villain has redeeming qualities and be specific about Captain Nemo's good points. On the other hand, discuss his vengeful nature and putting himself above moral and legal restrictions.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the importance of imagination for writing science fiction. Base your essay on the fact that Jules Verne was writing in the 19th century about scientific ideas that have been achieved remarkably similar to his imaginative novels of his day.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the effects of being caged on both animals and humans. In your essay refer to caging wild animals in zoos and confining men in prisoner of war camps.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)