|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What awakens Aronnax at three in the morning?
(a) He is thrown out of bed.
(b) Water is leaking into Aronnax's chamber.
(c) The boiler explodes.
(d) Ned wakes him with another escape plan.
2. How long have they been prisoners?
(a) for six months
(b) for two years
(c) for eleven months
(d) for a year
3. What does Aronnax see when the Nautilus settles to the bottom?
(a) another submarine
(b) the ruin of a ship
(c) a large, dark hole
(d) a strange graveyard
4. After the aborted escape attempt, what does Aronnax tell Land?
(a) about how they can escape next time
(b) that he should try to get along with Nemo
(c) where they are going next
(d) about Captain Nemo's treasures
5. What alarm do they hear being shouted by the crew?
(a) ice berg!
(d) man overboard!
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the kelp and marine life create in the water of the Sargasso?
2. How close to the South Pole does Nemo say he will get with his chronometer?
3. How deep does the Nautilus have to descend to get away from the hurricane?
4. What does Aronnax call the Gulf Stream?
5. How does Aronnax know they are near caverns that would be perfect for poulps or giant squids?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Conseil recognizes Ned Land's restlessness.
2. How does Nemo react when Aronnax comments that the treasure they find is not used for a noble purpose?
3. Explain the attitude of the three prisoners after the South Pole visit.
4. What is the conversation between Aronnax, Conseil, and Ned out on the platform?
5. What happens when Nemo sees Land trying to signal an approaching ship?
6. After testing how deep the Nautilus can go, describe what happens.
7. Where does Aronnax finally come to?
8. Explain Nemo's bizarre behavior during a hurricane.
9. Relate the dire prediction Nemo makes as a worst case scenario when they are stuck under the ice.
10. Tell something about Nemo's egotistical action when he locates the South Pole.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)