|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do sailors take from a dead whale?
2. What alarm do they hear being shouted by the crew?
(c) ice berg!
(d) man overboard!
3. As the Nautilus rounds Gibraltar, how far does Aronnax say they have traveled?
(a) 20,000 leagues
(b) 15,000 leagues
(c) twice the distance around the world
(d) 10,000 leagues so far
4. What do they all remember about the squid battle?
(a) the sounds of the battle
(b) the size of the monster
(c) the color of the ink
(d) the sailor taken into the mouth of the squid
5. Where is the Nautilus when Aronnax cannot figure out where they are?
(a) under the Rock of Gibraltar
(b) the center of a lake formed by an inactive volcano
(c) in a deep underwater cave
(d) by an uncharted island
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does it appear that Nemo is heading?
2. What does Aronnax see when the Nautilus settles to the bottom?
3. What has Conseil heard about giant squid?
4. What does Land say escaping at the speed they are traveling would be like?
5. What prevents an escape to American shores?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the final escape plans?
2. Briefly describe the beginning of the battle with the giant squid.
3. Where does Aronnax finally come to?
4. Mention briefly the problem as the Nautilus leaves the South Pole.
5. Relate Ned's heightened anxiety after the battle with the giant squid.
6. What prevents the men from escaping in the Mediterranean?
7. What is the difficulty for the Nautilus to rise from under the ice?
8. What does Nemo tell Aronnax about the sunken ship he has come to see?
9. What goes on while Ned, Conseil, and Aronnax are escaping in the small boat?
10. Explain the attitude of the three prisoners after the South Pole visit.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)