|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Conseil say keeps them excited about the trip?
(a) no chance to ask questions
(b) no time for boredom
(c) no idea where they are
(d) no schedules to keep
2. What is the name of the vessel?
(a) the Intrepid
(b) the Discoverer
(c) the Nautilus
(d) the Challenger
3. What is Aronnax's assigned room like?
(a) a hastily converted pantry
(b) a stark room just barely large enough for a bed
(c) a room with a view of the ocean
(d) a large room with a bed, dressing table and other furniture
4. What does Aronnax conclude the minute he gets his invitation from Hobson?
(a) Aronnax decides his purpose in life must be to hunt down this monster.
(b) He thinks the invitation is a hoax.
(c) He concludes that it will be too dangerous.
(d) He believes that nothing will be gained by the expedition.
5. Tell what Ned Land and Captain Farragut decide to do to get the monster.
(a) to drop raw meat into the ocean
(b) to try to ram it with the bow of the frigate
(c) to go for the monster with harpoons from the frigate itself
(d) to put out in a small boat
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ned Land's response to an invitation to explore underwater?
2. How do Aronnax and Conseil finally see Ned Land?
3. What does Ned take Aronnax to view outside the Nautilus one morning?
4. As they enter the Red Sea, what does Aronnax find?
5. What does Nemo do that surprises Aronnax?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the difference Nemo sees in the encounters with the Scotia and the Abraham Lincoln.
2. Tell about the first thing Captain Nemo allows Aronnax to see on the Nautilus.
3. What is Nemo's response to Aronnax's idea they cannot reach the Mediterranean by the next day?
4. What does Aronnax observe that explains Nemo's vast wealth?
5. What is the exciting thing that happens as they return for the island of Crespo?
6. Explain what bothers Ned Land in December.
7. Why is Aronnax concerned about the savages and what does Nemo do about it?
8. Who is the narrator of the story?
9. From the small submarine, tell what Aronnax observes in an underwater cemetery.
10. What is the unexpected pleasure Nemo gives the three captives near the island of Gilboa?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)