|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nemo inform Aronnax?
(a) It is possible to stay submerged for a month.
(b) It is possible to breathe sea water.
(c) It is possible to talk underwater.
(d) It is possible to walk underwater.
2. How does Land react to the steward who comes into the room after he wakes up?
(a) Land is so angry he jumps him and starts to strangle him.
(b) Land is relieved to see another Canadian.
(c) Land is grateful to see a human face.
(d) Land smiles and asks a lot of questions.
3. Where was the Nautilus assembled?
(a) a warehouse in the south of France
(b) off the coast of Africa
(c) workshops on desert islands in the ocean
(d) in the Bermuda Triangle
4. How do Aronnax and Conseil finally see Ned Land?
(a) He is actually standing on the back of the monster.
(b) He is holding onto the dorsal fin of a porpoise.
(c) He is swimming toward them.
(d) He is in a small life raft.
5. As they enter the Red Sea, what does Aronnax find?
(a) the lost tablets of stone
(b) the lost city of Mocha
(c) the lost Red Sea scrolls
(d) the lost continent of Atlantis
Short Answer Questions
1. Looking through the glass port, what does Ned Land have to admit about the view of the ocean?
2. What does Aronnax conclude the minute he gets his invitation from Hobson?
3. What is Aronnax's assigned room like?
4. Briefly describe Ned Land.
5. What is the name of the vessel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nemo's response to Aronnax's idea they cannot reach the Mediterranean by the next day?
2. What is the exciting thing that happens as they return for the island of Crespo?
3. What is the unexpected pleasure Nemo gives the three captives near the island of Gilboa?
4. How is the pearl seen differently by different people?
5. What do Aronnax and Farragut speculate about the monster?
6. Describe how the three men are treated when they first come on board the Nautilus.
7. How are Aronnax and Conseil saved from drowning after falling off the Abraham Lincoln?
8. Relate Aronnax's encounter with the strange man.
9. Describe why Ned interrupts Aronnax's reading and what he shows him.
10. Explain the different opinions Conseil and Aronnax have about Nemo.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)