|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is professor Aronnax's conclusion about what the sightings are?
(a) a marine animal of enormous power
(b) an optical illusion
(c) a volcanic eruption under the sea
(d) a man-made object
2. How does Aronnax find the taste of seaweed cigars?
(a) to be tasteless
(b) to be disgusting
(c) to be delightful
(d) to be like smoking cabbage
3. What is the shape of the Nautilus?
(a) like a train
(b) like a saucer
(c) like a box
(d) like a cylinder with conical ends
4. What makes Aronnax, Conseil, and Ned Land very happy?
(a) to swim in the ocean
(b) to set foot on land again
(c) to see the dolphins play
(d) to eat all the fresh fish they want
5. What is the offer Captain Farragut makes as they search for the monster?
(a) a promotion to ensign for the first person to spot it
(b) a write up in the newspapers about the person who spots it
(c) a bottle of rum for the frist person to spot it
(d) a $2,000 reward to the first person on the frigate who spots it
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first strange thing Aronnax observes about Nemo's behavior.
2. In what year do reports start circulating about the strange creature in the ocean?
3. How does Nemo describe himself to Aronnax, Conseil, and Land?
4. Why does Aronnax rule out the possibility of an individual creating the monster?
5. Describe Aronnax's immediate action after he receives the invitation.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unexpected pleasure Nemo gives the three captives near the island of Gilboa?
2. What is the exciting thing that happens as they return for the island of Crespo?
3. How does Captain Nemo explain the electricity on the Nautilus?
4. Explain the difference Nemo sees in the encounters with the Scotia and the Abraham Lincoln.
5. What is Nemo's response to Aronnax's idea they cannot reach the Mediterranean by the next day?
6. Explain what bothers Ned Land in December.
7. Briefly detail the problem with the telescope.
8. Describe why Ned interrupts Aronnax's reading and what he shows him.
9. What do Aronnax and Farragut speculate about the monster?
10. What happens in the pearl fishing grounds of the Indian Ocean?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)