|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tell about the encounter with the captain of a whaling ship.
(a) The captain borrows Ned Land, who happily harpoons two whales for him.
(b) The captain relates an encounter with the monster.
(c) The captain laughs at the idea of a giant sea monster.
(d) The captain recognizes Ned Land and hires him away.
2. What does the captain decide to do after months at sea and no sighting of the monster?
(a) Farragut decides to retrace their path to see if they missed anything.
(b) The captain decides to try the waters of the antarctic.
(c) The captain decides to do a stopover in Rio, Brazil.
(d) Captain Farragut announces they will search only three more days.
3. How is the animal finally killed?
(a) Land stabs it with his knife.
(b) Land harpoons it through the heart.
(c) The animal cannot come up for air.
(d) Conseil hits it with an oar.
4. What does Aronnax insist they thought they were hunting and attacking?
(a) a pod of whales they needed for food
(b) a sea monster that has been wrecking ships
(c) a warship from China
(d) a sea creature with rabies
5. How many shipwrecks occurred that year?
(a) approximately 30,000
(b) over 3,000
(c) about 300
(d) exactly 30
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men enjoy for lunch on the island?
2. What valuable item does Nemo take from a secret place?
3. What repels the savages trying to get inside the Nautilus?
4. What is the first view from the surface Aronnax enjoys with Captain Nemo?
5. Why is the large bird staggering around after eating the nutmeg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the tone of the novel as the story begins.
2. What is the exciting thing that happens as they return for the island of Crespo?
3. Why is Aronnax concerned about the savages and what does Nemo do about it?
4. Explain the situation after the three men eat and fall asleep.
5. How are Aronnax and Conseil saved from drowning after falling off the Abraham Lincoln?
6. How is the pearl seen differently by different people?
7. Who is the narrator of the story?
8. Tell about the first thing Captain Nemo allows Aronnax to see on the Nautilus.
9. How does Captain Nemo explain the electricity on the Nautilus?
10. Explain what bothers Ned Land in December.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)