|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What alarm do they hear being shouted by the crew?
(a) man overboard!
(b) ice berg!
2. What does Aronnax say that only he and Nemo know?
(a) how deep a submarine can go
(b) how deep are man's thoughts
(c) what is exceedingly deep
(d) how deep the ocean is
3. What does the Nautilus do several times before breaking into the open sea?
(a) turns around
(b) strikes against the ice ceiling
(c) dives deeper
(d) picks up more and more speed
4. What does Aronnax notice when Nemo says the name, Avenger?
(a) the anger in his voice
(b) the sadness in his voice
(c) the glee in his voice
(d) the emptiness in his voice
5. Where on the map does Aronnax show Conseil they are then located?
(a) a reef that forms a bar to the Straits of Libya
(b) just south of Italy
(c) near Mount Aetna
(d) moving along the southern coast of France
6. What is happening when the Nautilus prepares to leave the South Pole?
(a) The snow is eliminating visibility.
(b) The ice is getting deeper.
(c) The walruses are mating.
(d) The sea is starting to freeze
7. What does Aronnax wonder about Nemo's manuscript?
(a) If it got put into the water tight container.
(b) If it will ever be discovered.
(c) If it is in the Sargasso Sea.
(d) If Nemo had finished it.
8. What mysterious spot does Aronnax see near an underwater volcano?
(b) the lost city of the Amazons
(c) the Colossus of Rhodes
(d) a bottomless pit
9. Up on the land, what seems to have been its origin?
10. What do sailors take from a dead whale?
11. What tragedy occurs before they defeat the giant squid?
(a) They lose a crew member to the squid.
(b) Ned Land loses his throwing arm.
(c) The viewing glass breaks so they have to close the panels.
(d) The Nautilus springs a leak.
12. When the Nautilus cannot move, how does Aronnax describe the situation?
(a) stuck in the mud
(b) stuck on a sandbar
(c) stuck on flypaper
(d) stuck in a vice
13. What does Aronnax consider doing as they head out into the Atlantic?
(a) taking Nemo hostage
(b) simply asking Captain Nemo for his freedom
(c) sabotaging the Nautilus engines
(d) re-writing all his notes
14. How do Nemo and Aronnax determine where they are?
(a) watching their shadows
(b) calculations based on the sun and other measurements
(c) looking at the stars at night
(d) watching for the compass to spin around and around
15. What do Aronnax and Ned hear while out on the platform?
(a) waves crashing against the nautilus
(b) gunshots that seem to be coming from a distant ship
(c) loud winds
(d) the sounds of sea birds
Short Answer Questions
1. Before the Nautilus breaks free, what happens to Aronnax?
2. Why does Aronnax regret trying to escape from Nemo?
3. How does Nemo attempt to free the Nautilus?
4. What does Nemo say the lake is to him?
5. How do the sailors on board the Nautilus appear to be?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)