|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do they observe coming from the Ganges River?
(a) sea turtles
(b) human bodies
(c) oil pollution
2. What evidence does Aronnax give Land to support his theory of a large sea animal?
(a) a long scientific explanation on water pressure on various size animals at various depths of the sea
(b) and estimate of how it would be too expensive to make a machine like that
(c) some fuzzy photos taken by people who have spotted it
(d) scraps of flesh removed from some of the damaged ships
3. What does Conseil say keeps them excited about the trip?
(a) no chance to ask questions
(b) no schedules to keep
(c) no time for boredom
(d) no idea where they are
4. What does the captain decide to do after months at sea and no sighting of the monster?
(a) The captain decides to try the waters of the antarctic.
(b) Captain Farragut announces they will search only three more days.
(c) Farragut decides to retrace their path to see if they missed anything.
(d) The captain decides to do a stopover in Rio, Brazil.
5. What makes up the forest of Crespo?
(a) underwater tree plants that stretch up to the top of the ocean
(b) large kelp plants
(c) rock formations that look like a forest
(d) petrified trees
6. How does Aronnax happen to be in the right place at the right time to be invited to join the hunt?
(a) He is the first scientist to have a sighting of the monster.
(b) Aronnax is in New York City at the height of the controversy about the sea monster.
(c) He is lecturing at the University of Florida.
(d) He is a survivor of the sunken Scotia.
7. What does the public speculate the object is?
(a) something from outer space
(b) a sea monster like the Loch Ness dragon
(c) an island reef, a sea serpent, or a whale of unknown species
(d) a mirage, not real at all
8. What is the offer Captain Farragut makes as they search for the monster?
(a) a $2,000 reward to the first person on the frigate who spots it
(b) a write up in the newspapers about the person who spots it
(c) a promotion to ensign for the first person to spot it
(d) a bottle of rum for the frist person to spot it
9. What do the men enjoy for lunch on the island?
(a) a fox and a crow
(b) a fruit bat and a hare
(c) a pigeon and woodcock
(d) a partridge and a squirrel
10. What happens to the small boat when the wounded animal attacks?
(a) Everyone on board gets thrown around.
(b) The animal takes a bite out of the boat.
(c) The boat begins to take on water.
(d) Everyone gets thrown into the water.
11. What is Ned Land looking forward to at the oyster beds?
(a) eating oysters that evening
(b) finding large pearls
(c) finding a way to escape
(d) harpooning sharks
12. What is the name of the vessel?
(a) the Challenger
(b) the Intrepid
(c) the Discoverer
(d) the Nautilus
13. What does Aronnax find in the pearl grotto?
(a) the body of a drowned pearl diver
(b) a school of sharks waiting for him
(c) a treasure map left by pirates
(d) a pearl the size of a coconut
14. What does Nemo inform Aronnax?
(a) It is possible to breathe sea water.
(b) It is possible to walk underwater.
(c) It is possible to talk underwater.
(d) It is possible to stay submerged for a month.
15. Tell about the encounter with the captain of a whaling ship.
(a) The captain recognizes Ned Land and hires him away.
(b) The captain relates an encounter with the monster.
(c) The captain borrows Ned Land, who happily harpoons two whales for him.
(d) The captain laughs at the idea of a giant sea monster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationalities does Aronnax guess the captors to be?
2. Describe Aronnax's immediate action after he receives the invitation.
3. What is the first view from the surface Aronnax enjoys with Captain Nemo?
4. How does Nemo propose to get them from the Red Sea into the Mediterranean?
5. What is the first strange thing Aronnax observes about Nemo's behavior.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)