|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the three prisoners after the incident with the telescope?
(a) They are locked in Aronnax's room for the night.
(b) They are drugged and fall asleep.
(c) They are forbidden to go to the platform ever again.
(d) They are threatened with being thrown overboard.
2. What does Aronnax say he sees traveling in the Nautilus?
(a) many other shipwrecks
(b) many telegraph cables
(c) many changes in the ocean currents
(d) many drowned land birds
3. What does Ned take Aronnax to view outside the Nautilus one morning?
(a) men outside mining diamonds
(b) whales playing around the Nautilus
(c) giant squid trying to get inside the Nautilus
(d) corpses, some still fresh and even one of a woman
4. What animal does Ned harpoon along the Arabian coast?
(a) an oryx
(b) a large sea otter
(c) a dugong
(d) a crocodile
5. What does Conseil politely ask Aronnax in the water?
(a) if he knows how to tread water
(b) if he can see any other survivors
(c) if he has any last wishes
(d) if he can cut away his clothes
6. After leaving the island, where are they when Aronnax begins to wonder where they are going?
(a) in the straits of gibralter
(b) in the Sargasso Sea
(c) in the Indian Ocean
(d) rounding the Cape of Good Hope
7. What makes Aronnax go get his telescope?
(a) He wants to see if there are any islands nearby.
(b) Nemo is using his and Aronnax does not want to bother him.
(c) Aronnax thinks he sees a pod of whales in the distance.
(d) Nemo and a lieutenant are looking at something he cannot see.
8. What valuable item does Nemo take from a secret place?
(a) a chest full of gold ingots
(b) a crate of raw diamonds
(c) a box of rare black pearls
(d) a statue from Atlantis
9. Tell what Ned Land and Captain Farragut decide to do to get the monster.
(a) to go for the monster with harpoons from the frigate itself
(b) to put out in a small boat
(c) to try to ram it with the bow of the frigate
(d) to drop raw meat into the ocean
10. What does Nemo show Aronnax in his own quarters?
(a) pictures of his family
(b) maps he has made of the ocean floor
(c) books on the seven seas
(d) many useful instruments for ocean travel and exploration
11. How many shipwrecks occurred that year?
(a) approximately 30,000
(b) exactly 30
(c) about 300
(d) over 3,000
12. Through what do they pass to get outside the submerged Nautilus?
(a) a holding room full of water
(b) a torpedo tunnel
(c) a shower of warm water
(d) an airtight room
13. What is the first strange thing Aronnax observes about Nemo's behavior.
(a) He appears to be highly superstitious.
(b) He goes missing for two days.
(c) He sometimes talks gibberish.
(d) He talks to himself out loud.
14. Looking through the glass port, what does Ned Land have to admit about the view of the ocean?
(a) the view is polluted
(b) the view is uninteresting
(c) the view is frightening
(d) the view is wonderful
15. What do they see at the pearl grotto?
(a) a fishing net being lowered
(b) a chest filled with pearls
(c) a shark attacking a diver
(d) a disoriented whale
Short Answer Questions
1. What artifact does Nemo show Aronnax that he had recovered from the sea?
2. Tell about the encounter with the captain of a whaling ship.
3. What is professor Aronnax's conclusion about what the sightings are?
4. As they enter the Red Sea, what does Aronnax find?
5. What is the first view from the surface Aronnax enjoys with Captain Nemo?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)