|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the large bird staggering around after eating the nutmeg?
(a) It ate too much to fly.
(b) It is too drunk to fly.
(c) It is sick from eating the nutmeg.
(d) It got it's wing caught in a bush.
2. What does Aronnax conclude the minute he gets his invitation from Hobson?
(a) He concludes that it will be too dangerous.
(b) He thinks the invitation is a hoax.
(c) Aronnax decides his purpose in life must be to hunt down this monster.
(d) He believes that nothing will be gained by the expedition.
3. What meat does Land manage to kill to take back to the Nautilus?
(a) a few wild hens
(b) an animal something like a hog and six rodents
(c) a giant turtle and a pelican
(d) a deer and two rabbits
4. What does Nemo inform Aronnax?
(a) It is possible to walk underwater.
(b) It is possible to talk underwater.
(c) It is possible to stay submerged for a month.
(d) It is possible to breathe sea water.
5. What does Aronnax say he sees traveling in the Nautilus?
(a) many changes in the ocean currents
(b) many drowned land birds
(c) many telegraph cables
(d) many other shipwrecks
6. What do they see off the coast of Ceylon?
(a) the pearl fisheries there
(b) herds of sea horses
(c) swimming elephants
(d) underwater caves
7. What does Aronnax explain to Ned and Conseil about pearls?
(a) where in the world then can be found
(b) why they are so easy to find
(c) why they have no particular value
(d) how they are harvested and their value
8. How is the animal finally killed?
(a) Land harpoons it through the heart.
(b) Land stabs it with his knife.
(c) The animal cannot come up for air.
(d) Conseil hits it with an oar.
9. What does Conseil think Captain Nemo is?
(a) a madman
(b) an American spy
(c) a misunderstood genius
(d) a figment of their imagination
10. How do Aronnax and Conseil finally see Ned Land?
(a) He is in a small life raft.
(b) He is actually standing on the back of the monster.
(c) He is swimming toward them.
(d) He is holding onto the dorsal fin of a porpoise.
11. What famous historical figure does Nemo discuss with Aronnax?
(a) Captain Cook
(b) Captain Kidd
(c) La Perouse
(d) George Washington
12. What is the first strange thing Aronnax observes about Nemo's behavior.
(a) He goes missing for two days.
(b) He talks to himself out loud.
(c) He sometimes talks gibberish.
(d) He appears to be highly superstitious.
13. What does Ned Land plan once they are in the Mediterranean?
(a) a special feast of dugong meat
(b) a campaign for the three prisoners to escape
(c) a plot to kill Nemo
(d) an idea for a new book
14. How does Nemo propose to get them from the Red Sea into the Mediterranean?
(a) through what he calls it the Arabian Tunnel
(b) by making the Nautilus fly
(c) by going around the southern tip of Africa
(d) by going through the Suez Canal
15. Who are the two people on board who are not enthusiastic about the search?
(a) The two newspaper reporters are not happy to be on board.
(b) Capt. Farragut and his frist mate are not happy with the assignment.
(c) Aronnax and Conseill are fearful about being on board.
(d) Neither Conseil nor Ned Land are excited to be on board.
Short Answer Questions
1. What artifact does Nemo show Aronnax that he had recovered from the sea?
2. What does Conseil believe about the outcome of the trip?
3. Why does Nemo take Aronnax to the sailors' quarters to see if he can do anything?
4. What are the strange words a man says to Aronnax on the platform?
5. What makes Aronnax, Conseil, and Ned Land very happy?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)