Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the tone of the novel as the story begins.
2. What are some of the fantastic ideas about the monster and how does it captivate the public?
3. Who is the narrator of the story?
4. What does the U.S. government invite Aronnax to join?
5. What does the captain of the Monroe whaling boat request of Captain Farragut?
6. What do Aronnax and Farragut speculate about the monster?
7. How are Aronnax and Conseil saved from drowning after falling off the Abraham Lincoln?
8. Describe how the three men are treated when they first come on board the Nautilus.
9. Explain the situation after the three men eat and fall asleep.
10. Explain Captain Nemo's attitude toward the men on their first meeting.
11. Tell about the first thing Captain Nemo allows Aronnax to see on the Nautilus.
12. How does Captain Nemo explain the electricity on the Nautilus?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)