|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1 Chapter 9 | Part 1 Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Conseil believe about the outcome of the trip?
(a) that the monster will find them and sink the ship
(b) that he will die trying to save the life of his master
(c) that when they get back to France, everyone will laugh at them
(d) that Aronnax will sign on for another trip
2. Describe Aronnax's immediate action after he receives the invitation.
(a) He telegraphs France to say he will be staying longer.
(b) He writes out his last will and testament.
(c) He goes to the library to read up on sea monsters.
(d) The first thing he does is to contact his trusted servant of ten years, Conseil, a Flemish boy age thirty.
3. What nationalities does Aronnax guess the captors to be?
(a) Norwegian, Brazilian, or Russian
(b) Peruvian, Mexican, or Argentinian
(c) African, Asian, or Polynesian
(d) Spanish, Arabian, or Indian
4. How do Aronnax and Conseil finally see Ned Land?
(a) He is in a small life raft.
(b) He is holding onto the dorsal fin of a porpoise.
(c) He is swimming toward them.
(d) He is actually standing on the back of the monster.
5. Tell what Ned Land and Captain Farragut decide to do to get the monster.
(a) to go for the monster with harpoons from the frigate itself
(b) to drop raw meat into the ocean
(c) to put out in a small boat
(d) to try to ram it with the bow of the frigate
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aronnax happen to be in the right place at the right time to be invited to join the hunt?
2. What does Aronnax insist they thought they were hunting and attacking?
3. What does the captain decide to do after months at sea and no sighting of the monster?
4. What happens when Ned Land gets close enough to throw his harpoon?
5. Why is the frigate unable to catch the monster?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)