Part 1 Chapter 1 | Part 1 Chapter 2
1. In what year do reports start circulating about the strange creature in the ocean?
2. What does the public speculate the object is?
(a) an island reef, a sea serpent, or a whale of unknown species
(b) a mirage, not real at all
(c) something from outer space
(d) a sea monster like the Loch Ness dragon
3. How many shipwrecks occurred that year?
(a) exactly 30
(b) approximately 30,000
(c) over 3,000
(d) about 300
4. What is professor Aronnax's conclusion about what the sightings are?
(a) a volcanic eruption under the sea
(b) a marine animal of enormous power
(c) a man-made object
(d) an optical illusion
5. Why does Aronnax rule out the possibility of an individual creating the monster?
(a) One individual could not control something that large.
(b) The thing would cost too much for a private party to make.
(c) There is no precedent for such a machine.
(d) It cannot be something mechanical.
This section contains 5,745 words
(approx. 20 pages at 300 words per page)