|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Merrill Brown and Abram Hamilton treat Solomon while traveling to New York?
(a) With kindness and respect.
(b) They treated him like a hired hand.
(c) They treated him in a business-like manner.
(d) They did not speak to him very much.
2. Why did Lawson take off in such high speed to find William Ford upon Chapin's request?
(a) He wanted to beat the last speed record he set while running his mule into town.
(b) He wanted to show just how fast he could make his mule run.
(c) He really wanted to get Solomon some help.
(d) He wanted to impress Mr. Chapin.
3. Aside from Bibles, what did William Ford provide his slaves that other slave owners seemed to overlook or not consider to provide them with at all?
(a) Winter clothing.
(d) Bath soap.
4. How could Solomon best be described as he argued with Burch right before his beating?
(a) He was remorseful.
(b) He was aggressive.
(c) He was committed.
(d) He was unyielding.
5. Which of the entertainment-type acts that Merrill Brown and Abram Hamilton specialized in could account for their ability to persuade Solomon to travel with them based on a promise of high wages that unexpectedly took a turn and thrust him into the clutches of slavery instead?
(c) Causing invisible pigs to squeal.
(d) Frying pancakes in a hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the purpose of having Jacob Brooks accompany Eliza to get her freedom papers?
2. How did Solomon feel about his father?
3. How did Freeman's customers view the idea of buying slaves from the same family?
4. Which of his senses did Solomon rely on the most while trying to figure out what was happening around him after spending his first night at Williams' Slave Pen in Washington City?
5. How can the manner in which Solomon, Eliza, and the other slaves were led from Williams' Slave Pen and onto the Orleans best be described?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Chapter 2 ends, and Chapter 3 begins, how did Solomon discover that he was being held in slavery?
2. In Chapter 6 of the book, what did Freeman's customers do to examine his merchandise before making a purchase?
3. In Chapter 3 of the book, what type of role did Jacob Brooks play in the life of Eliza?
4. In Chapter 7 of the book, how was Solomon's new master, John M. Tibeats different from William Ford?
5. In Chapter 2 of the book, how did Merrill Brown and Abram Hamilton persuade Solomon to travel to New York with them?
6. What was Solomon's first impression of Eliza in Chapter 3 of the book?
7. In Chapter 7 of the book, how was Solomon rewarded after his lumber-transporting efforts prove to be successful in getting William Ford's lumber to its destination a lot faster?
8. How did Solomon feel that the exterior of Williams' Slave Pen in Washington could be viewed in Chapter 3 of the book?
9. In Chapter 6 of the book, what type of slave did Freeman's customers want to buy?
10. How did Solomon prove to be a resourceful type of person for his master, William Ford in Chapter 7 of the book?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)