|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How could the purchase of Solomon, Eliza, and Harry from Freeman be viewed?
(a) As a lucky one for Harry and Solomon only.
(b) As an unlucky one for Solomon and Eliza only.
(c) As an unlucky one for all of them.
(d) As a lucky one for all of them.
2. Who suffered the worst loss of all during the slave sale at Freeman's?
(a) The gentleman looking for a coachman.
(b) Theophilus Freeman.
(d) The planter from Natchez.
3. How can the manner in which Solomon, Eliza, and the other slaves were led from Williams' Slave Pen and onto the Orleans best be described?
4. What became a problem with the letter that Solomon had Englishman John Manning mail?
(a) Solomon directed the letter to an official who was not authorized to help him regain his freedom.
(b) Solomon did not provide information concerning his location within it.
(c) John Manning decided to deliver the letter in person and never reached New York.
(d) John Manning never mailed the letter.
5. How did Arthur's life change when the Orleans reached the dock in New Orleans?
(a) Arthur was stricken with small pox and was no longer able to work.
(b) Arthur was rescued and was able to return to a life of freedom.
(c) Arthur discovered that his wife and children were gone.
(d) Arthur was sold to a kind planter who treated his slaves with dignity and respect.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did William Ford feel obligated to settle his brother's debt?
2. What did Solomon believe to be a contributing factor toward William Ford owning slaves despite the fact that he was a Christian?
3. How did Burch react when Solomon first met him and told him that he was feeling sick?
4. Shortly after buying them, how did William Ford show Solomon and the other slaves that he was compassionate toward them?
5. Why did Solomon trust Merrill Brown and Abram Hamilton when he first met them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Solomon improve his life in Chapter 1 of the book?
2. In Chapter 6 of the book, what type of slave did Freeman's customers want to buy?
3. As Chapter 2 ends, and Chapter 3 begins, how did Solomon discover that he was being held in slavery?
4. What lead Solomon to believe that he could consider Merrill Brown and Abram Hamilton to be friends of his in Chapter 2 of the book?
5. In Chapter 7 of the book, how was Solomon's new master, John M. Tibeats different from William Ford?
6. In Chapter 2 of the book, how did Merrill Brown and Abram Hamilton persuade Solomon to travel to New York with them?
7. In Chapter 6 of the book, who suffered during the sale conducted at Freeman's Pen?
8. In Chapter 1 of his book, how was Author Solomon Northrup able to depict his early years in life as normal?
9. In Chapter 5 of the story, how could Englishman John Manning be described in relation to Solomon?
10. In Chapter 7 of the book, what set William Ford apart from the way that other slave owners treated their slaves?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)