|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Realistically, what did Solomon's owner, John M. Tibeats consider him to be?
(a) Beneath him, but stronger than him.
(b) Weaker than him, but above him in status.
(c) Above him and stronger than him.
(d) Beneath him and weaker than him.
2. What one element stood out when Tibeats set about to punish Solomon?
(a) That he always had to have help from others.
(b) That he thought that he could punish Solomon by himself.
(c) That he was never sure that his plan would work because of Solomon's size.
(d) That he did not seem to be able to punish Solomon by himself.
3. If at any time during his travels with Merrill Brown and Abram Hamilton, Solomon felt any doubt about their true motive, what did he base it upon?
(a) Brown and Hamilton became overly anxious to get to Washington City.
(b) Solomon never saw the circus.
(c) Brown and Hamilton changed the trio's original destination.
(d) Brown and Hamilton traveled very slowly.
4. What type of reputation did Solomon maintain while living in Saratoga Springs?
(a) Hardworking and respectable.
(b) Educated and hardworking.
(c) Trustworthy and educated.
(d) Clean-cut and respectable.
5. Why did Chapin send for Ford when he was the overseer of Ford's Plantation?
(a) Because he felt that Ford had the final word on any dispute with Tibeats.
(b) Because he was afraid of Tibeats.
(c) Because he knew that Ford was likely to have the Sheriff present when dealing with Tibeats.
(d) Because he knew that Tibeats would not attack Ford.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Merrill Brown and Abram Hamilton treat Solomon while traveling to New York?
2. Who suffered the worst loss of all during the slave sale at Freeman's?
3. What became a problem with the letter that Solomon had Englishman John Manning mail?
4. How did Freeman's customers view the idea of buying slaves from the same family?
5. In general, how did Mrs. Berry and her daughter feel about Eliza?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1 of his book, how was Author Solomon Northrup able to depict his early years in life as normal?
2. How did Solomon improve his life in Chapter 1 of the book?
3. In Chapter 2 of the book, how did Merrill Brown and Abram Hamilton persuade Solomon to travel to New York with them?
4. In Chapter 7 of the book, how could Solomon's new master, William Ford be characterized?
5. In Chapter 6 of the book, how did slave dealer Theoplilus Freeman treat the slaves whom he owned?
6. In Chapter 7 of the book, what set William Ford apart from the way that other slave owners treated their slaves?
7. In Chapter 5 of the story, how could Englishman John Manning be described in relation to Solomon?
8. In Chapter 2 of the book, why did Solomon decide to leave Saratoga Springs and head for New York?
9. In Chapter 8 of the book, how did Mr. Chapin protect Solomon from being hurt or murdered by John Tibeats?
10. In Chapter 7 of the book, how was Solomon rewarded after his lumber-transporting efforts prove to be successful in getting William Ford's lumber to its destination a lot faster?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)