|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the basis of the quarrel that took place between Solomon and Burch?
(a) Whether Solomon was stronger than Burch.
(b) Whether Solomon was jealous of Burch.
(c) Whether Solomon was a hard worker.
(d) Whether Solomon was a free man.
2. Who suffered the worst loss of all during the slave sale at Freeman's?
(a) Theophilus Freeman.
(b) The gentleman looking for a coachman.
(d) The planter from Natchez.
3. Which of the following was one thing that Tibeats had a reputation of using when trying to out-maneuver his enemies?
(a) A pack of dogs.
(b) The element of surprise.
(c) A hatchet.
(d) A pistol.
4. Based on the description that Solomon wrote, what did his room at Williams' Pen Slave Pen resemble?
(a) A shed.
(b) A prison cell.
(c) A warehouse.
(d) A hide-out.
5. What one element stood out when Tibeats set about to punish Solomon?
(a) That he always had to have help from others.
(b) That he was never sure that his plan would work because of Solomon's size.
(c) That he thought that he could punish Solomon by himself.
(d) That he did not seem to be able to punish Solomon by himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the entertainment-type acts that Merrill Brown and Abram Hamilton specialized in could account for their ability to persuade Solomon to travel with them based on a promise of high wages that unexpectedly took a turn and thrust him into the clutches of slavery instead?
2. In one word, how could William Ford's overseer, Chapin be described?
3. How did Solomon describe the interaction among Eliza, Randall, and Emily at the time that they first saw each other?
4. Why was Clemens Ray upset as he headed south aboard the Orleans?
5. In general, how did Solomon view slave owner William Ford's position with regard to his views on religion and slavery?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7 of the book, how was Solomon's new master, John M. Tibeats different from William Ford?
2. In Chapter 7 of the book, what set William Ford apart from the way that other slave owners treated their slaves?
3. How did Solomon improve his life in Chapter 1 of the book?
4. In Chapter 6 of the book, how did slave dealer Theoplilus Freeman treat the slaves whom he owned?
5. How did Solomon feel that the exterior of Williams' Slave Pen in Washington could be viewed in Chapter 3 of the book?
6. In Chapter 5 of the story, how could Englishman John Manning be described in relation to Solomon?
7. In Chapter 2 of the book, why did Solomon decide to leave Saratoga Springs and head for New York?
8. In Chapter 6 of the book, what type of slave did Freeman's customers want to buy?
9. How did Solomon prove to be a resourceful type of person for his master, William Ford in Chapter 7 of the book?
10. In Chapter 6 of the book, who suffered during the sale conducted at Freeman's Pen?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)