Objective: Act I - At the beginning of the play, the judge instructs the jurors before sending them off to deliberate on the fate of a defendant accused of killing his father. The objective of this lesson is to ensure that students understand legal concepts that will enable them to grasp important issues in the play.
1) 1. Discussion: Conduct a discussion with students, using the following questions about legal concepts:
- Why does the judge give the jury instructions?
- Why are the jurors sent to a restricted area to conduct the deliberations?
- What is testimony?
- What is a unanimous verdict?
- Should decisions made by a jury be by majority vote? Why? Why not?
- Who is responsible for proving the defendant's innocence?
- What is reasonable doubt?
- What is first degree murder?
- What is a mandatory penalty?
- What is the penalty...
This section contains 12,702 words
(approx. 43 pages at 300 words per page)