|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Feste tells Malvolio in Act IV Scene II, “thou art more puzzled than the Egyptians in their” what?
2. What is the setting of Act IV Scene II?
3. Sir Toby Belch and Fabian convince Sir Andrew Aguecheek to do what in Act III Scene II?
4. Who enters with Olivia in Act IV Scene III?
5. What word used interjectionally to express distaste, rejection, aversion, etc. does Sir Andrew Aguecheek use in Act III Scene IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Sir Andrew Aguecheek. How does Sir Toby Belch describe his friend?
2. How is Viola/Cesario saved from the duel in Act III Scene IV?
3. How does the character of Feste contribute to the tone of Twelfth Night? What is the significance of Feste’s name?
4. What conclusion does Antonio reach regarding his dear friend in Act III Scene IV?
5. What is Olivia’s reaction upon seeing Malvolio in his bizarre garb in Act III Scene IV?
6. What is the significance of Antonio’s status within Illyria? What led to this status?
7. What does Feste attempt to convince Malvolio of in Act IV Scene II?
8. How might Malvolio’s treatment in Act IV be perceived differently when viewing the play as opposed to reading it?
9. How does Sir Andrew Aguecheek’s character contribute to the tone of Twelfth Night?
10. What do Sir Toby Belch and Fabian convince Sir Andrew Aguecheek to do in Act III Scene II? Who interrupts them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Viola’s reaction upon being brought the ring by Malvolio in Act II Scene II. What does the ring signify to Viola? What does it signify to Olivia? How does Viola feel about the confusion caused by her disguise?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the staging of Twelfth Night during Shakespeare’s lifetime as discussed in the Introduction. How would set changes have taken place? How was the audience arranged in relation to the actors on Shakespeare’s stage? When was the play first performed? At what venue?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the philosophies on love and life discussed between Viola/Cesario and Orsino in Act II Scene IV. How do their philosophies differ? Do you believe these differences are based upon gender? Why or why not?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)