|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Malvolio describes the room he is in as being what in Act IV Scene II?
2. Where is the old hermit from that Feste cites in Act IV Scene II?
3. What does Sebastian call the jester in Act IV Scene I?
4. What character is arrested in Act III Scene IV?
5. Feste claims he is not lean enough to be thought what in Act IV Scene II?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is irony illustrated through the circumstances surrounding Malvolio in Act IV?
2. What character flaw might be blamed for Malvolio’s circumstances in Act IV?
3. How does the character of Feste differ from all of the other main characters in the play? Who is offended by Feste’s observations?
4. How does Sir Andrew Aguecheek’s character contribute to the tone of Twelfth Night?
5. How is Viola/Cesario saved from the duel in Act III Scene IV?
6. What happens in the conclusion of Act IV? How does Sebastian feel about his situation?
7. What is the significance of Antonio’s status within Illyria? What led to this status?
8. How does Feste illustrate the theme of disguise in Act IV Scene II?
9. Describe the character of Sir Toby Belch. How does Sir Toby contribute to the tone of the play?
10. What do Sir Toby Belch and Fabian convince Sir Andrew Aguecheek to do in Act III Scene II? Who interrupts them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters of Viola and the Captain in Act I. Where has Viola come from when she is first introduced in the play? Who saved her and how? What does Viola believe has happened to her brother?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the objectives and actions of Maria, Sir Toby Belch and Sir Andrew Aguecheek in Act II Scene V. What do these merrymakers hope to achieve by tormenting and humiliating Malvolio? What actions do they take in doing so? What obstacles do they face?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Sebastian and Viola in the play. What similarities do these siblings share? What differences? How do the twins feel about one another? How are they perceived by other characters in the play?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)