|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the jester enters in Act II Scene III Sir Andrew Aguecheek speaks of his discussion of whom “passing the equinoctial of Queubus”?
2. What does Viola solicit to “untangle this” confusion in Act II Scene II?
3. The Captain tells Viola in Act I Scene II, “When my tongue blabs, then let mine eyes” what?
4. Who sends Cesario to visit and woo Olivia for him in Act I Scene IV?
5. Sir Toby Belch asks Sir Andrew Aguecheek in Act II Scene III, “Does not our life consist of” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom is Orsino preoccupied in Act I Scene I? How does this preoccupation manifest in his character?
2. Describe the character of Sebastian. Who is Sebastian’s sister? How frequently does Sebastian appear in the play?
3. How have Viola’s situation and circumstances changed when she reappears in Act I Scene IV?
4. How are Orsino’s feelings about music illustrated in Act I Scene I? How do these feelings change in the course of the scene?
5. Describe the character of Malvolio. What is Malvolio’s role in Olivia’s household? How does Olivia feel about him?
6. What is Malvolio’s response to the letter found in Act II?
7. How is Malvolio’s character perceived by Fabian, Sir Toby Belch, and Feste?
8. Describe Antonio’s relationship with Sebastian. How is this relationship illustrated in Act II?
9. What disguised identity does Viola take on in Act I? What is her appearance like in this disguise?
10. How does Olivia feel about Orsino in Act I? How are these feelings illustrated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship in Twelfth Night
a. Discuss the theme of friendship in the play. Through what characters does Shakespeare develop this theme? How is friendship defined in the play?
b. Compare and contrast friendship and romance in Twelfth Night. Which of these concepts is of the greatest importance to the main characters? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters of Sir Toby Belch and Maria. What archetypical role does Sir Toby Belch represent in the play? What have critics and literary theorists commented about these “merrymakers” in the narrative? How does Maria feel about Sir Toby?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the setting of Illyria and the attributes of this setting. How populous was Illyria during this time? How were governments set up? Who rules over Illyria in the play? In what season does the play open?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)