|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the jester enters in Act II Scene III Sir Andrew Aguecheek speaks of his discussion of whom from the night before?
2. Sir Toby Belch sings of the twelfth day of what month in Act II Scene III?
3. How much money does Sir Toby Belch give to the jester to have him sing a song in Act II Scene III?
4. What is the setting of Act II Scene V?
5. The jester says in Act II Scene III that “Malvolio’s nose is no” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Orsino’s station in Illyria? What news does he receive in the beginning of Act I Scene I?
2. With whom is Orsino preoccupied in Act I Scene I? How does this preoccupation manifest in his character?
3. Who originates the idea of the prank on Malvolio in Act II? Why?
4. What is an “aside”? Give an example of an aside in Act I.
5. How have Viola’s situation and circumstances changed when she reappears in Act I Scene IV?
6. Describe Viola in the play. Where is she from? What concerns her when she is introduced in Act I Scene II?
7. Describe Antonio’s relationship with Sebastian. How is this relationship illustrated in Act II?
8. What message and memento does Olivia give to Viola/Cesario at her departure in Act I Scene V?
9. What is Malvolio’s response to the letter found in Act II?
10. How are Orsino’s feelings about music illustrated in Act I Scene I? How do these feelings change in the course of the scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss “asides” in drama and literature. What is the purpose of asides? How do they serve to inform the audience of a character’s motivations? What are examples of asides used in Twelfth Night? How do these examples serve to inform the audience?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship in Twelfth Night
a. Discuss the theme of friendship in the play. Through what characters does Shakespeare develop this theme? How is friendship defined in the play?
b. Compare and contrast friendship and romance in Twelfth Night. Which of these concepts is of the greatest importance to the main characters? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Define, discuss, and analyze the subplot which develops in Act II Scene III. How does this subplot relate to the main plot of the narrative? What is the purpose of a subplot? How common were the use of subplots within Shakespeare’s works?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)