|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maria’s reply when asked in Act I Scene III, “Wherefore, sweetheart? What’s your metaphor?”
2. What is the court jester’s response when Olivia asks him in Act I Scene V, “What’s a drunken man like, fool?”
3. What does Viola solicit to “untangle this” confusion in Act II Scene II?
4. What is the setting of Act II Scene III?
5. In what country has Viola arrived in Act I Scene II?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Orsino’s feelings about music illustrated in Act I Scene I? How do these feelings change in the course of the scene?
2. Where are Sebastian and Antonio when they are introduced in Act II Scene I? What are Sebastian’s circumstances in this scene?
3. Describe Antonio’s relationship with Sebastian. How is this relationship illustrated in Act II?
4. What discovery does Viola/Cesario make when Malvolio catches up with her in Act II Scene II?
5. What disguised identity does Viola take on in Act I? What is her appearance like in this disguise?
6. How does Olivia feel about Orsino in Act I? How are these feelings illustrated?
7. Describe the character of Maria. What is Maria’s role in Olivia’s household?
8. How is Malvolio’s character perceived by Fabian, Sir Toby Belch, and Feste?
9. How does Olivia receive Viola/Cesario when she arrives at Olivia’s house in Act I Scene V?
10. Describe the character of Malvolio. What is Malvolio’s role in Olivia’s household? How does Olivia feel about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Olivia in the narrative. How old is Olivia? How is her appearance described? What characteristics does Olivia exude? With whom does she share a close relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the philosophies on love and life discussed between Viola/Cesario and Orsino in Act II Scene IV. How do their philosophies differ? Do you believe these differences are based upon gender? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the characters of Sebastian and Antonio. Where did these characters meet? How long have they known one another when they are introduced in the play? How old is each of these characters? How does Antonio demonstrate his loyalty to Sebastian in the play?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)