|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Feste tells Malvolio in Act IV Scene II, “thou art more puzzled than the Egyptians in their” what?
2. Olivia’s last lines in Act IV Scene III are: “Then lead the way, good father; and heavens so shine, that they may fairly note this” what?
(a) Rite of passing
(b) Crime of mine
(c) Act of mine
(d) Charitable act
3. The jester claims not to be Olivia’s fool, but her “corrupter of” what in Act III Scene I?
4. What is the setting of Act III Scene II?
(a) The sea-coast
(b) Olivia’s house
(c) Duke Orsino’s Palace
(d) The cubiculo
5. What term in the stage directions of the play refers to a part of an actor's lines supposedly not heard by others on the stage and intended only for the audience?
Short Answer Questions
1. What adjective from Act IV Scene III means held in high religious regard?
2. Which of the five rivers of Hades is cited from Greek mythology in Act IV Scene I?
3. Sir Andrew Aguecheek claims that he would rather be what than a politician in Act III Scene II?
4. Referring to the jester, Viola speaks in soliloquy in Act III Scene I, stating, “This fellow is wise enough to play the fool; And to do that well craves a kind of” what?
5. What character states the following in Act III Scene IV: “Go, hang yourselves all! you are idle shallow things: I am not of your element: you shall know more hereafter”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Feste attempt to convince Malvolio of in Act IV Scene II?
2. How is Viola/Cesario saved from the duel in Act III Scene IV?
3. What character flaw might be blamed for Malvolio’s circumstances in Act IV?
4. What leads to Antonio’s feelings of betrayal in Act III Scene IV?
5. What is humiliating about Malvolio’s situation in Act IV Scene II?
6. What is Sir Andrew Aguecheek’s principle focus and grievance in the play?
7. What is Olivia’s reaction upon seeing Malvolio in his bizarre garb in Act III Scene IV?
8. How does Sir Andrew Aguecheek’s character contribute to the tone of Twelfth Night?
9. What is the significance of Antonio’s status within Illyria? What led to this status?
10. How does the character of Feste contribute to the tone of Twelfth Night? What is the significance of Feste’s name?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)