|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Captain compares Viola’s brother to whom “on the dolphin’s back” in Act I Scene II?
2. The Captain tells Viola in Act I Scene II, “When my tongue blabs, then let mine eyes” what?
(a) Not see
(b) Find beauty
(c) Fall out
(d) See thine
3. When given money to sing a song for Sir Toby Belch, the jester asks if he would like a love-song or what in Act II Scene III?
(a) A song of good fortune
(b) A dancing number
(c) A song of good life
(d) A sorrowful song
4. Sebastian states that his father was Sebastian of where in Act II Scene I?
(c) The cubiculo
5. Sir Toby Belch asks Sir Andrew Aguecheek in Act II Scene III, “Does not our life consist of” what?
(a) The seven saints
(b) The four elements
(c) The Ten Commandments
(d) The five wits
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Act II Scene I?
2. Olivia’s court jester states in Act I Scene V, “Many a good hanging prevents” what?
3. With whom is Sir Toby Belch speaking in the opening of Act II Scene V?
4. What is the court jester’s response when Olivia asks him in Act I Scene V, “What’s a drunken man like, fool?”
5. Where does Viola say her brother is in Act I Scene II?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Viola in the play. Where is she from? What concerns her when she is introduced in Act I Scene II?
2. Describe Antonio’s relationship with Sebastian. How is this relationship illustrated in Act II?
3. Who originates the idea of the prank on Malvolio in Act II? Why?
4. What discovery does Viola/Cesario make when Malvolio catches up with her in Act II Scene II?
5. How are Orsino’s feelings about music illustrated in Act I Scene I? How do these feelings change in the course of the scene?
6. Describe the character of Maria. What is Maria’s role in Olivia’s household?
7. What is indicated by Orsino’s use of language in the play?
8. How have Viola’s situation and circumstances changed when she reappears in Act I Scene IV?
9. What incident leads the merrymakers in the play to plot revenge on Malvolio in Act II Scene III?
10. How does Olivia feel about Orsino in Act I? How are these feelings illustrated?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)