|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom is Sir Toby Belch speaking in the opening of Act II Scene V?
2. What dog breed does Sir Toby Belch tell Sir Andrew that Maria is in Act II Scene III?
(a) A Beagle
(b) A Great Dane
(c) A Burmese Mountain Dog
(d) A German Shepherd
3. What does the jester say “are no bottle-ale houses” in Act II Scene III?
(a) The master’s homes
(b) The Sirens
(c) The Myrmidons
(d) The Vaspians
4. Who has just saved Sebastian’s life in Act II Scene I?
(c) Sir Topas
5. How much money does Sir Toby Belch give to the jester to have him sing a song in Act II Scene III?
(a) A pox
Short Answer Questions
1. Sebastian tells his friend and savior that he is bound for whose court in Act II Scene I?
2. What first two words of a Latin maxim meaning “to get up at dawn is very helpful” does Sir Toby Belch say in Act II Scene III?
3. Valentine informs Orsino that Olivia will be observing a period of mourning for how many years in Act I?
4. How does Sir Andrew Aguecheek describe the jester’s singing voice in Act II Scene III?
5. When given money to sing a song for Sir Toby Belch, the jester asks if he would like a love-song or what in Act II Scene III?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who originates the idea of the prank on Malvolio in Act II? Why?
2. What disguised identity does Viola take on in Act I? What is her appearance like in this disguise?
3. What is Orsino’s station in Illyria? What news does he receive in the beginning of Act I Scene I?
4. How are Orsino’s feelings about music illustrated in Act I Scene I? How do these feelings change in the course of the scene?
5. What is Malvolio’s response to the letter found in Act II?
6. Describe the character of Maria. What is Maria’s role in Olivia’s household?
7. What incident leads the merrymakers in the play to plot revenge on Malvolio in Act II Scene III?
8. Where is Viola when she is first introduced in Act I Scene II? What has just taken place?
9. How does Olivia feel about Orsino in Act I? How are these feelings illustrated?
10. How have Viola’s situation and circumstances changed when she reappears in Act I Scene IV?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)