|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maria tells Sir Toby Belch that his “quaffing” and what will undo him in Act I Scene III?
2. Viola states in a soliloquy in Act II Scene II, “Fortune forbid my outside have not” what?
(a) Denied her
(b) Chasten’d her
(c) Charm’d her
(d) Hasten’d her
3. By what name does the court jester refer to Olivia in Act I Scene V?
4. Orsino describes music as a “sweet sound, that breathes upon a bank of ______” in Act I Scene I?
5. Viola states in her soliloquy in Act II Scene II, “I am the man: if it be so, as 'tis, Poor lady, she were better love” what?
(a) A woman
(b) A babe
(c) A dream
(d) A man
Short Answer Questions
1. When the jester enters in Act II Scene III Sir Andrew Aguecheek speaks of his discussion of whom “passing the equinoctial of Queubus”?
2. What dog breed does Sir Toby Belch tell Sir Andrew that Maria is in Act II Scene III?
3. Where does Viola say her brother is in Act I Scene II?
4. For whom is Olivia observing a period of mourning in Act I?
5. The Captain compares Viola’s brother to whom “on the dolphin’s back” in Act I Scene II?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who originates the idea of the prank on Malvolio in Act II? Why?
2. How are Sir Toby Belch’s feelings for Maria illustrated in the play?
3. How is Malvolio’s character perceived by Fabian, Sir Toby Belch, and Feste?
4. Describe Viola in the play. Where is she from? What concerns her when she is introduced in Act I Scene II?
5. Where are Sebastian and Antonio when they are introduced in Act II Scene I? What are Sebastian’s circumstances in this scene?
6. What disguised identity does Viola take on in Act I? What is her appearance like in this disguise?
7. Describe the character of Maria. What is Maria’s role in Olivia’s household?
8. What is an “aside”? Give an example of an aside in Act I.
9. What is indicated by Orsino’s use of language in the play?
10. How have Viola’s situation and circumstances changed when she reappears in Act I Scene IV?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)