|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom is Sir Toby Belch speaking in the opening of Act II Scene V?
2. Viola states in her soliloquy in Act II Scene II, “I am the man: if it be so, as 'tis, Poor lady, she were better love” what?
(a) A woman
(b) A babe
(c) A man
(d) A dream
3. How does Sir Andrew Aguecheek describe the jester’s singing voice in Act II Scene III?
4. Who governs the land where Viola arrives in Act I Scene II, according to the Captain?
(d) Sir Andrew Aguecheek
5. What does the jester say “are no bottle-ale houses” in Act II Scene III?
(a) The Sirens
(b) The Myrmidons
(c) The Vaspians
(d) The master’s homes
6. Where does Viola say her brother is in Act I Scene II?
7. Viola states in a soliloquy in Act II Scene II, “Fortune forbid my outside have not” what?
(a) Charm’d her
(b) Hasten’d her
(c) Denied her
(d) Chasten’d her
8. Who has just saved Sebastian’s life in Act II Scene I?
(d) Sir Topas
9. Upon entering, Sir Toby Belch states in Act II Scene III, “Approach, Sir Andrew: not to be abed after midnight is to be” what?
(a) Beside oneself
(b) Up betimes
(c) In revelry
(d) Up late
10. What is the name of Olivia’s court jester?
11. In what country has Viola arrived in Act I Scene II?
12. Viola refers to her disguise as what in Act II Scene II?
(a) A courtesy
(b) A crime
(c) An audacity
(d) A wickedness
13. What first two words of a Latin maxim meaning “to get up at dawn is very helpful” does Sir Toby Belch say in Act II Scene III?
(a) Antonio scribet
(b) Diluculo surgere
(c) Te amo
(d) Semper fidelis
14. According to the Captain in Act I Scene II Olivia is the daughter of a count that died how recently?
(a) Three years ago
(b) A year ago
(c) Three months ago
(d) Seven months ago
15. The Captain tells Viola in Act I Scene II, “When my tongue blabs, then let mine eyes” what?
(a) Find beauty
(b) Not see
(c) Fall out
(d) See thine
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Olivia’s steward in the play?
2. Sir Toby Belch sings of the twelfth day of what month in Act II Scene III?
3. What does Sir Toby Belch claim Malvolio is when speaking with Maria in Act II Scene III?
4. What is the setting of Act II Scene IV?
5. For whom is Olivia observing a period of mourning in Act I?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)