|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the governess do about her suspicions concerning the ghosts?
2. How does the governess feel that summoning her employer would be viewed?
3. What is the governess unable to do that night?
4. How does the governess respond to Miles' request and reasoning?
5. Who does Miles say he likes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Good versus evil is a prevalent theme in "The Turn of the Screw". Investigate the governess' perception of good versus evil. How does it change throughout the novel? What causes these changes? What are the governess' early misconceptions about good and evil?
Essay Topic 2
Miles' role in the story changes while Flora's role remains static. In what ways does Miles' role change? What causes these changes? What results from these changes? How do the other characters' interactions with Miles change as his role within the narrative changes?
Essay Topic 3
The governess' responsibility is to teach the children, not tend to their physical needs. Is preventing their interactions with ghosts a part of her job description? Why or why not? How does the governess view her responsibilities? How do the other characters view the governess' responsibilities?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)