|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the governess search for Flora?
2. How does the governess feel that summoning her employer would be viewed?
3. Why does the governess tell Miles she stays at Bly after Mrs. Grose and Flora leave?
4. What does the governess receive instead?
5. The morning after the events with Flora at the lake, why does Mrs. Grose say that she no longer has any doubt about their supernatural visitors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is often used in "The Turn of the Screw". Cite three examples of foreshadowing and explain how it is used to indicate further events.
Essay Topic 2
"The Turn of the Screw" begins with a frame story that provides a little bit of background information on the governess. How does this enhance the story? How would "The Turn of the Screw" be different if it began with the first chapter, rather than the frame story?
Essay Topic 3
During the retrospection of writing her manuscript, the governess mentions that addressing the supernatural events may have saved her from future events. How is this both accurate and inaccurate? Why does the governess refrain from mentioning the events? How would "The Turn of the Screw" be altered if the governess asked Miles and Flora about the ghosts after she first realized the presence of Bly's supernatural visitors?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)