|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the governess suspect about the children's relationship with the ghosts?
2. What do the governess and Miles discuss after dinner in Chapter 23?
3. What does the governess feel will happen if she can convince Miles to confess?
4. How does the governess respond to Miles' request and reasoning?
5. Who does Miles say he likes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The governess' responsibility is to teach the children, not tend to their physical needs. Is preventing their interactions with ghosts a part of her job description? Why or why not? How does the governess view her responsibilities? How do the other characters view the governess' responsibilities?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the governess' relationships with Flora and Miles. How does she treat them differently? Provide evidence to support your opinion. Why does she treat them differently? What would change in "The Turn of the Screw" if Miles was sent to his uncle and Flora was the one to die?
Essay Topic 3
Investigate "The Turn of the Screw" as gothic fiction. How does it adhere to and differ from a typical gothic novel? What changes could be made to mark it clearly as gothic fiction? How could it be altered to avoid being termed gothic fiction?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)