|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days does it take for Douglas to receive the manuscript of the tale that he tells at the gathering in the introduction?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 4 days.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 1 day.
2. What is the younger child's name?
3. What is the name of the estate where the governess works?
(c) Northanger Abbey.
4. What does the governess decide to say about Miles being expelled?
(a) She blames the school.
(b) She cries.
(d) She yells at Miles.
5. What does the governess see on the stairs eleven days after her encounter in the hallway?
(a) Flora with Mrs. Grose.
(b) Her employer.
(c) Peter Quint with Miles.
(d) A woman sitting with her head in her hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the governess do about the children in Chapter 9?
2. What does the governess do when she goes to the hall after sensing movement?
3. Who does the governess share a room with?
4. How does the governess feel about the housekeeper's extreme happiness to see her?
5. Who plans to meet Miles on the carriage when he returns to Bly from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miles say he stole the governess' letter to his uncle, and what does he do with it?
2. Describe the problem that the governess has to deal with concerning Miles.
3. How does the governess react when she senses movement in the hall one night?
4. When Flora sneaks away one night after dinner, where does the governess think Flora has disappeared to, and why?
5. Describe Mrs. Grose's ambiguous remarks about "him".
6. After seeing Peter Quint in the stairway and returning to her room to find Flora behind the window blind, what does the governess see from the window, and what does she think about it?
7. How does the governess acquire her job?
8. How do the governess and Mrs. Grose get along?
9. Describe Peter Quint's activities on the evening that the governess senses movement in the halls.
10. What does Mrs. Grose think about Miles and Flora's relationships with the ghosts?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)