|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who enters the dining room after the governess goes outside after seeing someone from the window?
(c) Mrs. Grose.
(d) Miss Jessel.
2. What does Flora complain about when the governess returns to her room after her encounter in the hallway?
(a) She cannot sleep.
(b) The ghost scares her.
(c) The governess leaving her.
(d) She's hungry.
3. Who does Flora admit to seeing after the governess returns from her encounter in the hallway?
(b) No one.
(c) Miss Jessel.
(d) Peter Quint.
4. What does the governess find when she returns to her room after her encounter in the hallway?
(a) Miles in front of her room.
(b) Flora missing from bed.
(c) A dead dog.
(d) Peter Quint.
5. What is the younger child's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, who does the governess pick up in the carriage?
2. Who does the governess think Peter Quint is after?
3. What does the governess feel would better explain Peter Quint's appearance?
4. Why does the governess think Flora pretends not to see the presence at the lake?
5. What does the governess say to Miles about the letter of expulsion in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the governess believe Miles will do after their conversation about him returning to school?
2. Describe the governess' thoughts on the way to church.
3. Describe Mrs. Grose's version of why Miles is bad.
4. How do the children and Mrs. Grose react to the governess' absence from church?
5. What is the governess' reaction to seeing the man on the tower?
6. Why does the governess tell Miles she stayed at Bly after sending Mrs. Grose and Flora to her employer?
7. After seeing Peter Quint in the stairway and returning to her room to find Flora behind the window blind, what does the governess see from the window, and what does she think about it?
8. Describe the governess' initial opinion of Bly.
9. What are Miles' reasons for wanting to return to school?
10. Describe the second time that the governess sees the stranger.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)