|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the governess see when she looks out a window after waking to find Flora standing by the window?
(a) Mrs. Grose with the employer.
(b) Miles standing on the lawn, looking at the tower.
(c) Flora waving to her.
(d) Miss Jessel kissing Peter Quint.
2. How does the governess feel about the housekeeper's extreme happiness to see her?
3. What does the governess think of the younger child when they first meet?
(a) Clean but secretive.
(b) Frightening and possessed.
(c) Charming and beautiful.
(d) Ugly and mean.
4. What does the governess feel would better explain Peter Quint's appearance?
(b) Favorite alcoholic drink.
(c) Secrets and vices in his life.
5. What is Mrs. Grose's reaction upon the governess' return to Bly after the governess sees the stranger?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the problem with the person Mrs. Grose identifies from the governess' description of the stranger?
2. What does the governess do about Miles' expulsion in Chapter 9?
3. Who does Flora admit to seeing after the governess returns from her encounter in the hallway?
4. What time does the governess first see the specter?
5. What does Mrs. Grose think about the male child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the governess comes to be in Miles' room.
2. The morning after the governess' conversation with Miles in his room, what does Mrs. Grose ask the governess, and what does the governess hide?
3. What does Miles do after Mrs. Grose and Flora leave, and how does the governess feel about it?
4. How do the governess and Mrs. Grose get along?
5. What happens when the governess returns to her bedroom after seeing Peter Quint in the stairway?
6. Describe the governess' thoughts on the way to church.
7. What is the governess' first impression of Miles?
8. What do the governess and Mrs. Grose decide about Miles' expulsion?
9. Why does the governess feel that she must stay at Bly with Miles after she sends Mrs. Grose and Flora to her employer?
10. How does the governess view the children after becoming convinced that they are aware of the presence of ghosts at Bly?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)