|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Douglas know the governess?
(a) She is his sister's governess.
(b) She is his sister.
(c) She is his cousin.
(d) He marries her.
2. What does the governess think about Miles' expulsion when she first sees him?
(a) He probably did something very bad.
(b) It is a joke.
(c) Miles forged the letter because he hates school.
(d) He does not deserve it.
3. Before going to church, why does the governess return to the house the evening after the morning that she misses church?
(a) She forgets her gloves.
(b) She sees a ghost.
(c) She rips her skirt.
(d) She forgets her hat.
4. Where is the governess' predecessor when she dies?
(a) In the hospital.
(b) On her way to church.
(c) On a short holiday.
(d) At Bly.
5. Who sends the governess a letter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the first governess?
2. In Chapter 5, who does the governess confide in about seeing the strange man?
3. In Chapter 3, who does the governess pick up in the carriage?
4. What does Miss Jessel say to Mrs. Grose's concerns about Miles spending time with Peter Quint?
5. Who does the governess believe the stranger is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the governess views and treats the children.
2. Why does the governess feel that she must stay at Bly with Miles after she sends Mrs. Grose and Flora to her employer?
3. What do the governess and Mrs. Grose decide about Miles' expulsion?
4. How does the governess acquire her job?
5. What does Mrs. Grose think about Miles and Flora's relationships with the ghosts?
6. Describe Mrs. Grose's ambiguous remarks about "him".
7. Why does Mrs. Grose react to the governess' absence from church the way that she does?
8. What does Miles discuss with the governess when she visits him in his room one evening?
9. What is the governess' first impression of Miles?
10. How do the governess and Mrs. Grose get along?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)