|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the governess think about Miles' expulsion when she first sees him?
(a) It is a joke.
(b) He does not deserve it.
(c) Miles forged the letter because he hates school.
(d) He probably did something very bad.
2. How does Mrs. Grose learn about the last governess' death?
(a) Letter from employer.
(b) Police report.
(c) Finds body.
(d) Miles tells her.
3. In Chapter 4, how does the governess view her charges?
(a) Malicious and evil.
(b) Cunning and manipulative.
(c) Beautiful and charming.
(d) Cold and ugly.
4. How does Mrs. Grose feel about the situation in Chapter 8?
(a) Thinks the governess is a liar.
(b) Wants to beat the children.
(c) Believes the governess.
(d) Wants to tell the employer.
5. What is the name of the estate where the governess works?
(a) Northanger Abbey.
6. Why does Flora say she arranged her bed to appear that she was still in it while the governess was in the hallway?
(a) She was planning to run away.
(b) She wanted to play a joke on the governess.
(c) She did not want to frighten the governess.
(d) She did not do it; someone else did.
7. When the governess hears noise in the hallway, what does the person that she finds do after seeing the governess?
(a) Stares and disappears down the stairs.
(b) Attacks her.
(c) Runs away.
8. What does the governess see when she looks out a window after waking to find Flora standing by the window?
(a) Mrs. Grose with the employer.
(b) Flora waving to her.
(c) Miles standing on the lawn, looking at the tower.
(d) Miss Jessel kissing Peter Quint.
9. Who offers to tell a scary story about two children?
(b) Mrs. Grose.
10. What are Miles and Flora doing while the governess and Mrs. Grose talk in Chapter 11?
(a) Crying because they miss their parents.
(b) Listening to the governess' conversation.
(c) Walking the grounds as Miles reads to Flora.
(d) Hiding in the bushes.
11. What does the governess find when she returns to her room after her encounter in the hallway?
(a) Flora missing from bed.
(b) A dead dog.
(c) Miles in front of her room.
(d) Peter Quint.
12. What do the governess and Miles discuss on the way to Miles' room after she finds him standing on the lawn?
(b) The ghosts.
(c) Mrs. Grose.
(d) His expulsion.
13. Who does the governess admit being taken by?
(a) Mrs. Grose.
(c) Miss Jessel.
14. How do the children respond to their lessons in Chapter 9?
(a) Refuse to do them.
15. What does Miss Jessel say to Mrs. Grose's concerns about Miles spending time with Peter Quint?
(b) Mind her business.
(c) Ran away.
(d) Will help her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the governess decide to say about Miles being expelled?
2. Why does the governess cry to Mrs. Grose after she feels the presence watching her and the children?
3. In the introduction, what time of year is it when the group, which includes Douglas and the unnamed narrator, initially gather?
4. What is Mrs. Grose's reaction upon the governess' return to Bly after the governess sees the stranger?
5. Who writes the original story?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)