|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the governess feel about the housekeeper's extreme happiness to see her?
2. What does the governess talk to Mrs. Grose about in Chapter 11?
(a) The events of the previous night.
(b) Her love for the employer.
(c) Peter Quint and Miss Jessel's relationship.
(d) The children's education.
3. What happens to the first governess?
(a) She married.
(b) She died mysteriously.
(c) She quit.
(d) She was fired.
4. What does Mrs. Grose think about the governess' story about the stranger?
(b) Trying to scare her.
(d) Believes her.
5. What prevents the Bly household from attending church one Sunday morning?
(a) Ghosts appear.
(c) Flora gets sick.
(d) Mrs. Grose gets lost.
6. What are the governess' plans after Miles' holiday?
(a) To quit her job.
(c) To argue with his school about expelling him.
(d) To send Miles to a new school.
7. What does Miss Jessel say to Mrs. Grose's concerns about Miles spending time with Peter Quint?
(a) Ran away.
(b) Mind her business.
(c) Will help her.
8. When the governess hears noise in the hallway, what does the person that she finds do after seeing the governess?
(a) Attacks her.
(c) Stares and disappears down the stairs.
(d) Runs away.
9. Who does Mrs. Grose claim to be referring to when she says "he" prefers them young and pretty?
(b) Peter Quint.
10. When the governess describes the stranger, who does Mrs. Grose believe him to be?
(a) A servant at Bly.
(d) Peter Quint.
11. What does the governess feel would better explain Peter Quint's appearance?
(a) Secrets and vices in his life.
(b) Favorite alcoholic drink.
12. What is the name of the estate where the governess works?
(d) Northanger Abbey.
13. What is the problem with the person Mrs. Grose identifies from the governess' description of the stranger?
(a) He wants to murder the children.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He lives far away.
(d) He is Mrs. Grose's former lover.
14. Who does the governess think is playing a joke on her in the form of the stranger she sees while taking her walk?
(a) Mrs. Grose.
(c) The staff at Bly.
15. Who offers to tell a scary story about two children?
(c) Mrs. Grose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the housekeeper's name?
2. Who does the governess see in the hallway after sensing movement?
3. Why does the governess cry to Mrs. Grose after she feels the presence watching her and the children?
4. What does the governess believe Flora will do if asked about the presence at the lake?
5. Who replaces the governess' predecessor immediately?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)