|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who nominates Caroline to be the group's first mayor in Chapter 8?
2. Who explains to Rob why the students were not picked up at the scheduled end of their final exam?
3. What information finally convinces Rod to return home in Chapter 15?
4. In Chapter 8 Arthur Nielson proposes that the group's new leader should be chosen by what principle, rather than by popular vote?
5. In Chapter 13, what injury is suffered by Mick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Bob and Carmen ask to wait a day when their friends consider abandoning Grant's rule and forming a new colony?
2. How do Rod and Caroline clash the first time they try to hunt together?
3. Why do some students in the settlement start to feel disenchanted with Grant's leadership?
4. Why are Rod and Roy slow to return from their expedition?
5. What do Rod and Roy discover, as far downstream as they can go?
6. Early in Chapter 8, how is Jack injured?
7. Why, according to Caroline, is Carmen unable to relocate to a new place?
8. What vote do the students make while Rod is recovering from the dopey joe attack?
9. Who stands up for Bob and Carmen during their wedding ceremony?
10. During a square dance in Chapter 14, what do almost all of the students say they would do if rescuers come?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the governmental styles of Rod Walker and Grant Cowper. How are the two ultimately able to work together, despite their differences? What does this say about Heinlein's attitudes toward democracy and dictatorship, cooperation and autonomy?
Essay Topic 2
Near the end of the novel when officials from Terra arrive to rescue the students, why is Rod the only one who wishes to stay on the new planet? Why are the other students so anxious to leave, even though many had previously stated that they would never want to return home? What irresistible attractions draw them home, that could never be replicated in Cowpertown?
Essay Topic 3
What is the primary role of Jimmy in the novel? Is his comic relief a comfort to the other students? How does the character of Jimmy grow from the beginning of the novel, when he nearly skips the final survival exam due to fear, to the end of the novel, when he is a solid husband and father?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)