|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11 when Rod and Roy attempt to return to their settlement, what injury significantly delays their progress?
(a) Rod cracks his ribs.
(b) Roy crasks his ribs.
(c) Roy breaks his leg.
(d) Rod breaks his leg.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 12, upon Rod's return from his expedition what change does he notice in Grant?
(a) Grant looks much older.
(b) Grant has a long ponytail.
(c) Grant has shaved off his beard.
(d) Grant has a broken leg.
3. Who invents a method for hollowing out bamboo to make pipes?
(a) Jimmy, known as the Joker.
(b) Rod, known as Roddie.
(c) Arthur, known as Waxie.
(d) Grant, known as Hizzoner.
4. Which resident of the colony is the first to become pregnant?
5. In Chapter 8 Arthur Nielson proposes that the group's new leader should be chosen by what principle, rather than by popular vote?
(a) Rigorous scientific criteria.
(b) The student from the wealthiest family should lead.
(c) A lottery.
(d) The eldest student should lead.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the other baby in the settlement at the beginning of Chapter 14?
2. As explained in Chapter 10, why does Rob believe one man should not stand alone on guard duty?
3. What does Jack plan to give to Bob and Carmen as a wedding present?
4. In Chapter 8, what is Grant's theory as to why Jock would not listen to Rod?
5. Why does Bob order Rod to avoid heavy work and sleep on his stomach, after Rod's argument with Jock in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. The first part of Chapter 11 is told from whose point of view?
2. At the end of the novel, what is Rod doing?
3. Why, according to Caroline, is Carmen unable to relocate to a new place?
4. Why does Rod banish Jock and his friends, four older boys, from the colony?
5. When rescuers arrive, who is the only student who refuses to return home?
6. How does Grant use the incident between Rod and Jock in Chapter 8 to overthrow Rod from his leadership position?
7. What demands does Rod make of Grant in Chapter 10, before agreeing to serve as his city manager?
8. Where does Rod think the students should move their colony?
9. What creature attacks Roy, surprising him?
10. What do Grant and Rod build in an attempt to protect their camp from the stampeding animals?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)