|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what condition is the first classmate Rod sees on the unknown planet?
(a) Wounded, along with his dog.
(b) Frightened, hiding in a tree.
(c) Dead, along with another student.
(d) Dead, along with his dog.
2. What number does Rod draw, for entering the gate to the unknown planet?
3. On the unknown planet, from which direction does the sun rise?
4. When Rod is frightened by noises during his first night on the unknown planet, what does he try to do?
(a) Make ferocious growling sounds.
(b) Take a nap.
(c) Plug his ears.
5. In Chapter 2, what sort of lamp does Mr. Walker light before dinner?
(a) A Peace Lamp.
(b) Asian sconces.
(c) A plutonium lantern.
(d) A lunar reflector.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Rod and Jack discover in a tree in Chapter 6?
2. Rod's friend jokes that their survival instructor would eat what, without salt?
3. Before Rod leaves for his exam, Helen reminds him that more people have died from what than from bleeding to death?
4. In Chapter 1, how does Rod describe his classmate, Caroline?
5. Once through the gate to the unknown planet, who is the first classmate Rod sees?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Rod, Jack, and Jimmy decide to signal other students to join their group?
2. Why does Helen advise Rod not to carry a gun during his survival final exam on an unknown planet?
3. What strange sound prevents Rod from sleeping comfortably during his first night on the unknown planet?
4. List several ways in which the futuristic Earth of "Tunnel in the Sky" differs from our present-day planet.
5. What unusual phenomenon do Jack and Rod see in the sky at the end of Chapter 5, in addition to the pentagonal constellation?
6. What shocking secret does Jimmy reveal to Rod, regarding Jack?
7. What grisly sight does Rod encounter, shortly after arriving alone on an unknown planet?
8. What career field does Rod wish to pursue?
9. Rod's refusal to let go of misguided theories reveals what about his character?
10. Which students does Rod consider taking as a partner for his final exam, and why does he ultimately reject each?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)