|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the wedding at the beginning of Chapter 11, what instrument does Caroline play?
2. Why does Rod banish Jock and his friends from camp?
(a) Jock and his friends steal weapons from the other students.
(b) Jock and his friends request an election be held to try to remove Rod from his leadership position.
(c) Jock refuses Rod's request to help build a wall, and a fight ensues.
(d) Jock and his friends steal food from the camp.
3. What change had been made to guard duty in Rod's absence, as described in Chapter 13?
(a) Guard duty has been reduced to one man per day.
(b) Guard duty has been increased to three men per shift.
(c) Guard duty has been reduced to one man per shift.
(d) Guard duty has been eliminated.
4. What unusual sight do Rod and his companions see on Cliff's farm, in Chapter 15?
(a) A group of dopey joes, grazing.
(b) A new Ramsbotham Gate.
(c) A rainbow.
(d) A nova.
5. In Chapter 13, what catastrophic event is triggered by the strange new behavior of the dopey joes?
(a) Cave-ins where they dug too many burrows.
(b) A water shortage.
(c) Destruction of trees.
(d) A frantic migration.
6. When Rod and Roy reach the downstream end of the river on their expedition, what do they find?
(a) A dead sea and a beach of bleached bones.
(b) A series of cave dwellings and an ocean.
(c) A series of cave dwellings and a desert.
(d) A desert and a beach of bleached bones.
7. After agreeing to cooperate with Grant in Chapter 10, Rod asks to lead a search party to find what?
(b) A more defensible place to move the colony.
(c) A better salt lick.
(d) A watering hole.
8. What does Jack plan to give to Bob and Carmen as a wedding present?
(a) Two needles and some thread.
(b) A water skin.
(c) A deck of cards.
(d) A stew pan.
9. The title of Chapter 12 is a quote from which character?
10. In Chapter 15, what personal news does Deacon Matson reveal to Rod?
(a) He plans to abolish Ramsbotham Gates.
(b) Rod has earned an honorary degree.
(c) He has decided to settle in Cowpertown.
(d) He has married Rod's sister, Helen.
11. Where is the settlement's new constitution written?
(a) In the margins of the Oxford Verse.
(b) In the flyleaves of two Testaments, Grant's and Carmen's.
(c) In the margins of Webster's Dictionary.
(d) In the flyleaves of two Testaments, Bob's and Georgia's.
12. In Chapter 14, who disobeys Rod's order to go to work?
13. What is the full name of Grant, as shown on the memorial slab in the village square?
(a) Ulysses Grant Cowper.
(b) Ulysses S. Cowper.
(c) Ulysses S. Grant.
(d) Grant S. Cowper.
14. In Chapter 13 what do Grant and Roy build to try and save their settlement during the catastrophic event?
(a) A dam across the river.
(b) A guard shack on stilts.
(c) A ring of fire around the camp.
(d) Additional thornbush barriers.
15. In Chapter 16 how does Helen respond, when Rod's father asks her to return guardianship to him and Rod's mother?
(a) She agrees.
(b) She storms out of the room.
(c) "Not unless Roddie consents."
(d) "Not unless Buddy consents."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rod become angry during his first hunting expedition with a partner other than Jack?
2. During the discussion in Chapter 14, why does one person want to return to Terra, should the opportunity arise?
3. During his expedition with Rod in Chapter 11, why does Roy kill a dopey joe?
4. What nickname does Caroline have for Grant, as revealed in Chapter 11?
5. What is Rod doing, in the final scene in the final chapter of "Tunnel in the Sky?"
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)