|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of gun does Rod obtain from the school armorer, prior to leaving Earth for his final exam?
(a) A Pluton Flare.
(b) A needle gun with poison pellets.
(d) A Thunderbolt.
2. Who do Rod and Jack discover in a tree in Chapter 6?
3. Why does one of the new arrivals burst into tears when arriving at the shelter at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) She feels safe at last.
(b) She is hungry and smells roasted meat.
(c) She is relieved to be rescued from her overbearing partner.
(d) She is happy to see another girl.
4. Rod is informed that the exit gate from his final exam will be where?
(a) As much as thirty kilometers in the direction of sunrise.
(b) As much as twenty kilometers in the direction of sunrise.
(c) As much as twenty kilometers in the direction of sunset.
(d) As much as ten kilometers in the direction of sunset.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 6, Rod jokes that Jack is jealous of what?
(a) His manly beard.
(b) His logical mind.
(c) His hunting skill.
(d) His athletic abilities.
6. In Chapter 7, why do Rod, Jack, and Jimmy decide to start a signal fire?
(a) To frighten animals.
(b) To attract other survivors.
(c) To attract animals to kill.
(d) To warn other survivors to stay away.
7. At the time of the novel, what exists where the Statue of Liberty once stood?
(a) Bedlow Gap.
(b) Bedford-Stuyvestant Gap.
(c) Bedlow Crater.
(d) Bedford-Stuyvestant Crater.
8. Why has Rod's father made such an unusual decision, as described in Chapter 2?
(a) Rod's father is dying, and he hopes a cure will be found while he is frozen.
(b) Rod's father believes that being frozen is a vital religious ritual.
(c) Rod's mother is dying, and he hopes a cure will be found while she is frozen.
(d) Rod's father is bankrupt, and he hopes his finances will improve while he is frozen.
9. Which student chooses number two in the drawing, for entering the gate to the unknown planet?
10. In Chapter 5, why does Jack disagree with Rod's opinion about what planet they are on?
(a) This planet is much larger than the planet Rod suggests.
(b) The plants on this planet would not survive on the planet Rod suggests.
(c) The stars on this planet are unlike those seen from Earth.
(d) The animals on this planet are unlike those on Terra.
11. In Chapter 4, what sort of animal comes up behind Jack while the two are sharing their meal?
(a) A lion.
(b) A stobor.
(c) A buck.
(d) A jackal.
12. Why do Rod, Jack, and Jimmy alter the placement of their original signal fire in Chapter 7?
(a) Smoke is coming inside their cave.
(b) Jack trips and burns herself while entering the shelter.
(c) The fire is too far away to tend properly.
(d) The fire keeps getting extinguished by the river.
13. What number does Rod draw, for entering the gate to the unknown planet?
14. Why does Rod's instructor try to discourage him from taking the final exam?
(a) He believes Rod is too cocky and unfeeling to be a survivor.
(b) He believes Rod is too emotional and sentimental to be a survivor.
(c) He wants Rod to stay home with his family.
(d) He wants Rod to take the class again before attempting the final exam.
15. Where does Rod conceal his sister's knife, in preparation for the final exam?
(a) In his mess kit.
(b) Under a bandage on his leg.
(c) In his vest pack.
(d) In a hip holster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unit of currency does Rod spend while watching the travelers at Emigrants' Gap?
2. Rod's friend jokes that their survival instructor would eat what, without salt?
3. How does Jack keep water inside the shelter?
4. In Chapter 2, Rod's sister Helen has come home from where?
5. What is the invention of Dr. Jesse Evelyn Ramsbotham?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)