|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Rod decide to sleep during his first night on the unknown planet?
(a) In a tree.
(b) In the brush.
(c) In a cave.
(d) On a river bank.
2. On the unknown planet, from which direction does the sun rise?
3. What recreational item does Jimmy categorize as survival equipment?
(a) A deck of cards.
(b) A drum.
(c) A dart board and darts.
4. Which student chooses number two in the drawing, for entering the gate to the unknown planet?
5. Early in Chapter 6, what does Rod accuse Jack of stealing?
(a) Colonel Bowie.
(b) His salt.
(c) Lady Macbeth.
(d) His vest and shirt.
6. How do Rod and Jack break the fever of the person they discovered in a tree in Chapter 6?
(a) They bathe him with water, then take turns talking to him to keep him alert.
(b) They pour water on his face to revive him, then give him medicine.
(c) They pinch his ear lobe to partially revive him, then give him medicine and water.
(d) They pinch his ear lobe to partially revive him, then give him roasted liver and water.
7. Why doesn't Rod's father want Rod to leave for his final exam?
(a) He plans to have the whole Walker family frozen for twenty years.
(b) He plans to have himself frozen for thirty years.
(c) He plans to have himself and Rod's mother frozen for twenty years.
(d) He plans to have himself and Rod's mother frozen for thirty years.
8. What unit of currency does Rod spend while watching the travelers at Emigrants' Gap?
(a) Half-pluton coins.
(b) Luna dollars.
(c) Bedlovian coins.
(d) Terra half-dollars.
9. Why has Rod's father made such an unusual decision, as described in Chapter 2?
(a) Rod's father is bankrupt, and he hopes his finances will improve while he is frozen.
(b) Rod's mother is dying, and he hopes a cure will be found while she is frozen.
(c) Rod's father believes that being frozen is a vital religious ritual.
(d) Rod's father is dying, and he hopes a cure will be found while he is frozen.
10. Why does one of the new arrivals burst into tears when arriving at the shelter at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) She feels safe at last.
(b) She is relieved to be rescued from her overbearing partner.
(c) She is hungry and smells roasted meat.
(d) She is happy to see another girl.
11. What new signal do Rod, Jack, and Jimmy create in Chapter 7 when they move their signal fire?
(a) A signal flag made from Jack's pants.
(b) A signal flag made from Jack's shirt.
(c) A signal flag made from Jimmy's shirt.
(d) A signal flag made from Rod's shorts.
12. In Chapter 4, what sort of animal comes up behind Jack while the two are sharing their meal?
(a) A jackal.
(b) A lion.
(c) A buck.
(d) A stobor.
13. Why does Deacon Matson flunk four students before the exam begins?
(a) They planned to cheat.
(b) They tried to bribe him for a passing grade.
(c) They arrived with vacuum suits.
(d) They had missed too many days of class.
14. What element is needed to power the transport tunnels?
15. At the beginning of Chapter 4, what does Rod believe caused his fever?
(a) Four long, imperfectly healed scratches on his left arm.
(b) Three long, imperfectly healed scratches on his left arm.
(c) Three long, imperfectly healed scratches on his right arm.
(d) Two long, imperfectly healed scratches on his right arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trick does Jack use before entering the shelter, to ensure no animals are lurking within?
2. What revelation does Jimmy make at the end of Chapter 6 regarding Jack that shocks Rod?
3. Before Rod leaves for his exam, Helen reminds him that more people have died from what than from bleeding to death?
4. What is the invention of Dr. Jesse Evelyn Ramsbotham?
5. What was Dr. Ramsbotham trying to invent when he made his greatest discovery?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)