Chapter 1, The Marching Hordes
• Chapter 1 introduces the main character, Rod Walker, a high school student.
• Rod is taking a survival course in preparation for a career as an Outlander.
• On Rod's future Earth, or Terra, Outlanders are able to travel instantly through space to explore and colonize distant planets.
• Rod learns that the final exam for his survival course, which requires survival on an undisclosed planet for four to ten days, will begin on the following day.
• Rod asks his friend, Jimmy Throxton, to be his partner for the final exam, but Jimmy is on the verge of dropping the survival course out of fear.
• Rod regrets not cultivating other friendships in class, so he would have more potential final exam partners.
• Deacon Matson, the instructor for the survival course, assures the students that they have the knowledge to survive on an unknown planet.
• Rod leaves his high...
This section contains 3,107 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)