|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Winnie overhear the constable's news?
2. What sound does Winnie think she hears from inside the jail?
3. What does the constable say about the man in the yellow suit?
4. What does Miles say was the name of his daughter?
5. What does Winnie sit in back in her room at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about the constable during his conversations with the stranger?
2. What parts of the conversation with the stranger seem to anger Mae the most? Why?
3. What does the stranger say is his plan for the stream and what role does he want the Tucks to play?
4. What is the weather like on the day before Winnie is to take Mae's place in jail?
5. What does Winnie think about after she's poured the bottle of water on the toad?
6. What does the man say about the people who took Winnie and what does he insinuate about them?
7. What are the conditions of the trade the stranger proposes?
8. What is the plan Jesse tells Winnie and what does she add to the plan?
9. What is the likely significance of the fact that all the lights are on in the Foster house when the stranger arrives?
10. Winnie wishes that the man would die, but then that he would live. Why is she torn on this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the stranger know about the Tuck family? What would drive a person to spend his entire life in search of the Tucks and their secret?
Essay Topic 2
What is the constable's attitude toward Winnie after the kidnapping? After the escapade at the jail?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationships between the members of the Tuck family. Compare those to the relationships between the members of the Foster family.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)