|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mae say is the reason Miles and Winnie didn't catch any fish?
2. What does Winnie sleep in that night?
3. What does Jesse ask Winnie to do?
4. Why does Winnie feel relief when it's time for supper?
5. What do Winnie and Miles use for bait?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Winnie's attitude about the Tucks changed as she eats breakfast with them?
2. What is the plan Jesse tells Winnie and what does she add to the plan?
3. What is the likely significance of the fact that all the lights are on in the Foster house when the stranger arrives?
4. How is Winnie treated by her family the day after her return?
5. What questions does the constable ask in an effort to get a conversation going during the trip to the Tucks' house?
6. What is it that Jesse says makes him different from the rest of his family?
7. What are the conditions of the trade the stranger proposes?
8. Why does it take a long time for Winnie to fall asleep?
9. How does the stranger act when he goes to the Foster house?
10. What is the advantage Winnie gains from the situation at the jail with regard to children her own age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Winnie faces a dilemma when the stranger has been injured regarding what she should wish for. What is this dilemma and what does Winnie come to realize about the situation?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationships between the members of the Tuck family. Compare those to the relationships between the members of the Foster family.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Winnie trying to protect when she takes Mae's place in jail?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)