|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Winnie feel relief when it's time for supper?
2. How does Winnie overhear the constable's news?
3. How many kidnappings does he say he's investigated during his time as constable?
4. What image comes to Winnie's mind when she closes her eyes?
5. What is it that makes Winnie pick up the toad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What questions does the constable ask in an effort to get a conversation going during the trip to the Tucks' house?
2. How is Winnie treated by her family the day after her return?
3. How has Winnie's attitude about the Tucks changed as she eats breakfast with them?
4. What does Winnie think about after she's poured the bottle of water on the toad?
5. What is the plan Jesse tells Winnie and what does she add to the plan?
6. What does the stranger say is his plan for the stream and what role does he want the Tucks to play?
7. What does the man say about the people who took Winnie and what does he insinuate about them?
8. What is the weather like on the day before Winnie is to take Mae's place in jail?
9. What is the last thing Jesse says to Winnie and what does he mean by it?
10. What is the attitude of the Tuck family toward Winnie as they have breakfast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tuck looks at the stranger with great envy as the man seems about to die. Why does Tuck envy a man who is likely to die? Would Jesse and Miles have likely felt the same as their father?
Essay Topic 2
List two instances of foreshadowing. What is the role of foreshadowing in literature? Is the author successful in the use of foreshadowing in this story?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Winnie's presence at the Tuck household so welcome? Would any child have been equally welcomed?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)