|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the constable say he's been in charge?
2. Who lifts Winnie through the window and into the jail?
3. Where does the constable say most criminals are sent to serve their jail time?
4. Where do Winnie's mother and grandmother spend their day?
5. Who confronts Winnie the moment she gets out of bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tuck's reaction as he watches the stranger lying on the ground after Mae hits him? Explain the reaction.
2. Why does Winnie feel guilt over her plan to take Mae's place in jail?
3. What is it about the mosquito that makes Winnie suddenly decide to keep the secret of the spring?
4. What does the man say about the people who took Winnie and what does he insinuate about them?
5. What is the plan Jesse tells Winnie and what does she add to the plan?
6. How does the stranger act when he goes to the Foster house?
7. Winnie wishes that the man would die, but then that he would live. Why is she torn on this point?
8. What does Winnie think about after she's poured the bottle of water on the toad?
9. What is the likely significance of the fact that all the lights are on in the Foster house when the stranger arrives?
10. What questions does the constable ask in an effort to get a conversation going during the trip to the Tucks' house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Winnie's presence at the Tuck household so welcome? Would any child have been equally welcomed?
Essay Topic 2
What part of the story does Winnie tell her family to explain her involvement with the Tuck family at the jail? Why doesn't she tell her parents the entire story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe three scenes in which there are extensive details of people, places, weather or events. Are these details necessary? Why or why not?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)