|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the man say he knew about the Tucks?
2. Where does the stranger tie the Tucks' horse?
3. Who is waiting for Winnie at the gate?
4. What does Jesse say is the reason Miles and Winnie didn't catch any fish?
5. How long does the constable say he's been in charge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Winnie wishes that the man would die, but then that he would live. Why is she torn on this point?
2. What is Tuck's reaction as he watches the stranger lying on the ground after Mae hits him? Explain the reaction.
3. What's the reaction of Winnie's family when the constable tells them that Winnie had apparently gone with the Tucks of her own free will?
4. What is the plan Jesse tells Winnie and what does she add to the plan?
5. What is the last thing Jesse says to Winnie and what does he mean by it?
6. What does Miles say he wants to do with his life and why is that different from the attitudes of Jesse and Tuck?
7. What does the stranger say is his plan for the stream and what role does he want the Tucks to play?
8. How has Winnie's attitude about the Tucks changed as she eats breakfast with them?
9. Why does Winnie feel guilt over her plan to take Mae's place in jail?
10. What parts of the conversation with the stranger seem to anger Mae the most? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tuck looks at the stranger with great envy as the man seems about to die. Why does Tuck envy a man who is likely to die? Would Jesse and Miles have likely felt the same as their father?
Essay Topic 2
What is it that Tuck tries to explain to Winnie about life and death? How does Winnie come to realize the truth of Tuck's words?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the man in the yellow suit to this story? Why is the man never named?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)