|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the constable say will happen to Mae if the man dies?
2. What does the man want in return for telling Winnie's whereabouts?
3. What image comes to Winnie's mind when she closes her eyes?
4. What do Winnie and Miles use for bait?
5. What do they have for breakfast the morning after Winnie and Miles go fishing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Winnie think about after she's poured the bottle of water on the toad?
2. What is the weather like on the day before Winnie is to take Mae's place in jail?
3. Winnie wishes that the man would die, but then that he would live. Why is she torn on this point?
4. What are the conditions of the trade the stranger proposes?
5. How is Winnie treated by her family the day after her return?
6. What does Winnie realize about sneaking out of the house?
7. Why does Winnie say that Mae can never be taken to the gallows?
8. What does Miles say he wants to do with his life and why is that different from the attitudes of Jesse and Tuck?
9. Why does it take a long time for Winnie to fall asleep?
10. What questions does the constable ask in an effort to get a conversation going during the trip to the Tucks' house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Winnie faces a dilemma when the stranger has been injured regarding what she should wish for. What is this dilemma and what does Winnie come to realize about the situation?
Essay Topic 2
Describe three scenes in which there are extensive details of people, places, weather or events. Are these details necessary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the constable's attitude toward Winnie after the kidnapping? After the escapade at the jail?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)