|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie sleep in that night?
2. What do they have for breakfast the morning after Winnie and Miles go fishing?
3. Who does Winnie tell her grandmother she's talking to?
4. What is Tuck wearing when he comes in to check on Winnie?
5. What does the stranger say people came to believe about this family that didn't age?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Winnie say that Mae can never be taken to the gallows?
2. What is it that Jesse says makes him different from the rest of his family?
3. What is the last thing Jesse says to Winnie and what does he mean by it?
4. What's the reaction of Winnie's family when the constable tells them that Winnie had apparently gone with the Tucks of her own free will?
5. How does the stranger act when he goes to the Foster house?
6. What does Winnie think about after she's poured the bottle of water on the toad?
7. Why does Winnie feel guilt over her plan to take Mae's place in jail?
8. What is it about the mosquito that makes Winnie suddenly decide to keep the secret of the spring?
9. What are the conditions of the trade the stranger proposes?
10. Winnie wishes that the man would die, but then that he would live. Why is she torn on this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Winnie's presence at the Tuck household so welcome? Would any child have been equally welcomed?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationships between the members of the Tuck family. Compare those to the relationships between the members of the Foster family.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the constable in this story?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)