|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the man say he knew about the Tucks?
2. Who confronts Winnie the moment she gets out of bed?
3. What does Jesse give Winne?
4. What do they have for breakfast the morning after Winnie and Miles go fishing?
5. Why had Mae put flapjack crumbs in the table drawer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it about the mosquito that makes Winnie suddenly decide to keep the secret of the spring?
2. Why does Winnie feel guilt over her plan to take Mae's place in jail?
3. What is the plan Jesse tells Winnie and what does she add to the plan?
4. Why does Winnie say that Mae can never be taken to the gallows?
5. What is the weather like on the day before Winnie is to take Mae's place in jail?
6. What does Winnie think about after she's poured the bottle of water on the toad?
7. What is it that Jesse says makes him different from the rest of his family?
8. Winnie wishes that the man would die, but then that he would live. Why is she torn on this point?
9. What is Tuck's reaction as he watches the stranger lying on the ground after Mae hits him? Explain the reaction.
10. What's the reaction of Winnie's family when the constable tells them that Winnie had apparently gone with the Tucks of her own free will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the stranger know about the Tuck family? What would drive a person to spend his entire life in search of the Tucks and their secret?
Essay Topic 2
What part of the story does Winnie tell her family to explain her involvement with the Tuck family at the jail? Why doesn't she tell her parents the entire story?
Essay Topic 3
Tuck looks at the stranger with great envy as the man seems about to die. Why does Tuck envy a man who is likely to die? Would Jesse and Miles have likely felt the same as their father?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)