|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what room do the Fosters hear the stranger's story of Winnie's abduction?
2. What color is the jailhouse painted?
3. Why does Winnie feel relief when it's time for supper?
4. What does Winnie do with the bottle Jesse gave her?
5. Who lifts Winnie through the window and into the jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Winnie's attitude about the Tucks changed as she eats breakfast with them?
2. What is Tuck's reaction as he watches the stranger lying on the ground after Mae hits him? Explain the reaction.
3. How does the stranger act when he goes to the Foster house?
4. Why does it take a long time for Winnie to fall asleep?
5. What does Winnie think about after she's poured the bottle of water on the toad?
6. What does Miles say he wants to do with his life and why is that different from the attitudes of Jesse and Tuck?
7. What is the weather like on the day before Winnie is to take Mae's place in jail?
8. What are the conditions of the trade the stranger proposes?
9. What's the reaction of Winnie's family when the constable tells them that Winnie had apparently gone with the Tucks of her own free will?
10. What is the last thing Jesse says to Winnie and what does he mean by it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Winnie's emotions during her time at the Tuck home. Are these reasonable for a young girl in Winnie's position? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does the man say he plans to do with the spring? If this is a potential for making money, why haven' the Tucks done it?
Essay Topic 3
Tuck looks at the stranger with great envy as the man seems about to die. Why does Tuck envy a man who is likely to die? Would Jesse and Miles have likely felt the same as their father?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)