|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the family doesn't come to see her before she goes to sleep?
2. What does the constable say about the man in the yellow suit?
3. What does Winnie's grandmother say about how a toad drinks?
4. Where does the stranger tie the Tucks' horse?
5. Who does Jesse say came up with a plan to get Mae out of jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the conditions of the trade the stranger proposes?
2. What is the advantage Winnie gains from the situation at the jail with regard to children her own age?
3. What is the plan Jesse tells Winnie and what does she add to the plan?
4. What parts of the conversation with the stranger seem to anger Mae the most? Why?
5. Why does Winnie feel guilt over her plan to take Mae's place in jail?
6. What does Winnie realize about sneaking out of the house?
7. What does the stranger say is his plan for the stream and what role does he want the Tucks to play?
8. What's the reaction of Winnie's family when the constable tells them that Winnie had apparently gone with the Tucks of her own free will?
9. What is revealed about the constable during his conversations with the stranger?
10. What is the attitude of the Tuck family toward Winnie as they have breakfast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Winnie faces a dilemma when the stranger has been injured regarding what she should wish for. What is this dilemma and what does Winnie come to realize about the situation?
Essay Topic 2
Jesse and Miles are brothers but have very different attitudes about what they must do with their immortality. Discuss these differences in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Why is Winnie's presence at the Tuck household so welcome? Would any child have been equally welcomed?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)