|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the constable say most criminals are sent to serve their jail time?
2. What do they have for breakfast the morning after Winnie and Miles go fishing?
3. What does the person say who opens the door for the stranger?
4. What does Jesse say is the reason Miles and Winnie didn't catch any fish?
5. What image comes to Winnie's mind when she closes her eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What questions does the constable ask in an effort to get a conversation going during the trip to the Tucks' house?
2. What is the advantage Winnie gains from the situation at the jail with regard to children her own age?
3. What does Winnie think about after she's poured the bottle of water on the toad?
4. What does the man say about the people who took Winnie and what does he insinuate about them?
5. What are the conditions of the trade the stranger proposes?
6. What does Miles say he wants to do with his life and why is that different from the attitudes of Jesse and Tuck?
7. What is the attitude of the Tuck family toward Winnie as they have breakfast?
8. What is Tuck's reaction as he watches the stranger lying on the ground after Mae hits him? Explain the reaction.
9. What is the likely significance of the fact that all the lights are on in the Foster house when the stranger arrives?
10. Why does it take a long time for Winnie to fall asleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Winnie trying to protect when she takes Mae's place in jail?
Essay Topic 2
Tuck looks at the stranger with great envy as the man seems about to die. Why does Tuck envy a man who is likely to die? Would Jesse and Miles have likely felt the same as their father?
Essay Topic 3
What is it that Tuck tries to explain to Winnie about life and death? How does Winnie come to realize the truth of Tuck's words?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)