|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the stranger put his hat?
2. Who does Jesse say came up with a plan to get Mae out of jail?
3. Where do Winnie's mother and grandmother spend their day?
4. What does Winnie say to Tuck as she's being taken away?
5. Where does Mae make a bed for Winnie to sleep that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the plan Jesse tells Winnie and what does she add to the plan?
2. Why does it take a long time for Winnie to fall asleep?
3. What is the attitude of the Tuck family toward Winnie as they have breakfast?
4. What are the conditions of the trade the stranger proposes?
5. Why does Winnie feel guilt over her plan to take Mae's place in jail?
6. What does Winnie think about after she's poured the bottle of water on the toad?
7. What is it about the mosquito that makes Winnie suddenly decide to keep the secret of the spring?
8. What's the reaction of Winnie's family when the constable tells them that Winnie had apparently gone with the Tucks of her own free will?
9. What is Tuck's reaction as he watches the stranger lying on the ground after Mae hits him? Explain the reaction.
10. What is it that Jesse says makes him different from the rest of his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Tucks have never been able to settle down anywhere for long while the Fosters have always lived in the same house on the same land. Compare this aspect of the two families, including the impact of their different lives on others.
Essay Topic 2
Tuck looks at the stranger with great envy as the man seems about to die. Why does Tuck envy a man who is likely to die? Would Jesse and Miles have likely felt the same as their father?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the toad? Describe three scenes in which Winnie sees a toad and the significance of each scene. What might the toad represent?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)