|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Winnie's mother and grandmother spend their day?
2. What does Winnie say to Tuck as she's being taken away?
3. Why does Winnie say the entire escapade is difficult for her family?
4. What does the constable say will happen to Mae if the man dies?
5. Which of the family doesn't come to see her before she goes to sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Winnie feel guilt over her plan to take Mae's place in jail?
2. Why does it take a long time for Winnie to fall asleep?
3. What is the likely significance of the fact that all the lights are on in the Foster house when the stranger arrives?
4. What is the plan Jesse tells Winnie and what does she add to the plan?
5. Why does Winnie say that Mae can never be taken to the gallows?
6. What's the reaction of Winnie's family when the constable tells them that Winnie had apparently gone with the Tucks of her own free will?
7. How has Winnie's attitude about the Tucks changed as she eats breakfast with them?
8. What are the conditions of the trade the stranger proposes?
9. What is the last thing Jesse says to Winnie and what does he mean by it?
10. What is Tuck's reaction as he watches the stranger lying on the ground after Mae hits him? Explain the reaction.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the constable's attitude toward Winnie after the kidnapping? After the escapade at the jail?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Winnie trying to protect when she takes Mae's place in jail?
Essay Topic 3
Winnie faces a dilemma when the stranger has been injured regarding what she should wish for. What is this dilemma and what does Winnie come to realize about the situation?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)