|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie say to her family that makes them understand the reason she acted as she did?
2. What does the constable say about the kidnapping charges against the Tucks?
3. What does Winnie do when Miles catches a fish?
4. Where do Winnie's mother and grandmother spend their day?
5. Who is waiting for Winnie at the gate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Winnie treated by her family the day after her return?
2. What is Tuck's reaction as he watches the stranger lying on the ground after Mae hits him? Explain the reaction.
3. What is revealed about the constable during his conversations with the stranger?
4. What is the likely significance of the fact that all the lights are on in the Foster house when the stranger arrives?
5. What does Winnie think about after she's poured the bottle of water on the toad?
6. What is it about the mosquito that makes Winnie suddenly decide to keep the secret of the spring?
7. How has Winnie's attitude about the Tucks changed as she eats breakfast with them?
8. What parts of the conversation with the stranger seem to anger Mae the most? Why?
9. What is the plan Jesse tells Winnie and what does she add to the plan?
10. Why does Winnie feel guilt over her plan to take Mae's place in jail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe three scenes in which there are extensive details of people, places, weather or events. Are these details necessary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is it that Tuck tries to explain to Winnie about life and death? How does Winnie come to realize the truth of Tuck's words?
Essay Topic 3
Winnie faces a dilemma when the stranger has been injured regarding what she should wish for. What is this dilemma and what does Winnie come to realize about the situation?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)