|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Winnie's mother and grandmother do all day?
2. How does Winnie plan to provide water for the toad?
3. What does the constable say about the kidnapping charges against the Tucks?
4. What does Winnie sit in back in her room at home?
5. What is Mae's reaction when they hear a knock on the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that Jesse says makes him different from the rest of his family?
2. What's the reaction of Winnie's family when the constable tells them that Winnie had apparently gone with the Tucks of her own free will?
3. What is the plan Jesse tells Winnie and what does she add to the plan?
4. Why does it take a long time for Winnie to fall asleep?
5. What is the last thing Jesse says to Winnie and what does he mean by it?
6. What does Winnie realize about sneaking out of the house?
7. How is Winnie treated by her family the day after her return?
8. What is the attitude of the Tuck family toward Winnie as they have breakfast?
9. Why does Winnie feel guilt over her plan to take Mae's place in jail?
10. What is revealed about the constable during his conversations with the stranger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the man in the yellow suit to this story? Why is the man never named?
Essay Topic 2
Describe three scenes in which there are extensive details of people, places, weather or events. Are these details necessary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Winnie's presence at the Tuck household so welcome? Would any child have been equally welcomed?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)