|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Winnie say the entire escapade is difficult for her family?
2. What words does the stranger use to describe the people who took Winnie?
3. What does the constable say they must do with the stranger?
4. Who does Winnie tell her grandmother she's talking to?
5. Why does Winnie feel relief when it's time for supper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miles say he wants to do with his life and why is that different from the attitudes of Jesse and Tuck?
2. What parts of the conversation with the stranger seem to anger Mae the most? Why?
3. How has Winnie's attitude about the Tucks changed as she eats breakfast with them?
4. Why does it take a long time for Winnie to fall asleep?
5. What's the reaction of Winnie's family when the constable tells them that Winnie had apparently gone with the Tucks of her own free will?
6. What does Winnie realize about sneaking out of the house?
7. What is revealed about the constable during his conversations with the stranger?
8. How does the stranger act when he goes to the Foster house?
9. What are the conditions of the trade the stranger proposes?
10. What does the stranger say is his plan for the stream and what role does he want the Tucks to play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Winnie's presence at the Tuck household so welcome? Would any child have been equally welcomed?
Essay Topic 2
How does the stranger know about the Tuck family? What would drive a person to spend his entire life in search of the Tucks and their secret?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Winnie's life prior to her chance encounter with the Tuck family. How is her life different after that encounter?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)