|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mae do to the man when he threatens to have Winnie drink the water?
2. Who does the stranger say should go with him to get Winnie?
3. Who lifts Winnie through the window and into the jail?
4. What does Miles say was the name of his daughter?
5. What kind of fish does Miles predict will be among the lily pads?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it about the mosquito that makes Winnie suddenly decide to keep the secret of the spring?
2. What is Tuck's reaction as he watches the stranger lying on the ground after Mae hits him? Explain the reaction.
3. Why does it take a long time for Winnie to fall asleep?
4. What is the advantage Winnie gains from the situation at the jail with regard to children her own age?
5. What is revealed about the constable during his conversations with the stranger?
6. What questions does the constable ask in an effort to get a conversation going during the trip to the Tucks' house?
7. What's the reaction of Winnie's family when the constable tells them that Winnie had apparently gone with the Tucks of her own free will?
8. What is the weather like on the day before Winnie is to take Mae's place in jail?
9. How does the stranger act when he goes to the Foster house?
10. Why does Winnie say that Mae can never be taken to the gallows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the man in the yellow suit to this story? Why is the man never named?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Winnie's emotions during her time at the Tuck home. Are these reasonable for a young girl in Winnie's position? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does the man say he plans to do with the spring? If this is a potential for making money, why haven' the Tucks done it?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)