|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Winnie feel relief when it's time for supper?
2. What is the flash of white Winnie sees from her bedroom window?
3. How does the man say he knew about the Tucks?
4. What does the constable say about the man in the yellow suit?
5. Who is Winnie allowed to leave the yard with after the incident at the jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Winnie treated by her family the day after her return?
2. What parts of the conversation with the stranger seem to anger Mae the most? Why?
3. How does the stranger act when he goes to the Foster house?
4. What is it that Jesse says makes him different from the rest of his family?
5. How has Winnie's attitude about the Tucks changed as she eats breakfast with them?
6. What does the stranger say is his plan for the stream and what role does he want the Tucks to play?
7. What is the weather like on the day before Winnie is to take Mae's place in jail?
8. Why does it take a long time for Winnie to fall asleep?
9. What does Winnie realize about sneaking out of the house?
10. What is the likely significance of the fact that all the lights are on in the Foster house when the stranger arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationships between the members of the Tuck family. Compare those to the relationships between the members of the Foster family.
Essay Topic 2
What is the constable's attitude toward Winnie after the kidnapping? After the escapade at the jail?
Essay Topic 3
What does the man say he plans to do with the spring? If this is a potential for making money, why haven' the Tucks done it?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)