|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Mae Tuck set out for the village?
2. To what ride does the author compare the first week of August?
3. Who carries Winnie after she's tired?
4. What color is the Tuck house?
5. What color is the stranger's suit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What could Mae mean when she says that she, her husband and her sons have looked the same for eighty-seven years?
2. Why does Winnie think the simple meal she shares with the Tuck family is "luxurious?"
3. What is the music Winnie, her grandmother and the stranger hear? What do they believe it to be?
4. What does Mae say about the reason her family members were the ones who drank from the spring?
5. Give two examples of imagery in the prologue.
6. What is the analogy Tuck explains of the pond?
7. Winnie indicates that she's going to do something the following day. What does she say she's going to do and why?
8. What are the changes that occur when the road to Treegap becomes the "property of people?"
9. What do Mae and the boys do to Winnie after she was asking for a drink from the spring?
10. Why does Winnie say she will go with the Fosters willingly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Winnie trying to protect when she takes Mae's place in jail?
Essay Topic 2
Tuck looks at the stranger with great envy as the man seems about to die. Why does Tuck envy a man who is likely to die? Would Jesse and Miles have likely felt the same as their father?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the scene in which Winnie encounters the mosquito and the importance of what Winnie realizes from that scene.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)