|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rooms are there in the Tuck house?
2. Which of the following is NOT on the list of things a traveler would find in the woods?
3. What is it that conceals the spring that bubbles up in the middle of the woods?
4. What animal is responsible for the road meandering around the woods rather than through it?
5. What do Jesse, Mae, Miles and Winnie have to eat on the way back to the Tucks' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. The author compares the first week of August to a Ferris wheel. What does the author say is the similarity?
2. What does the author say would likely be found by a traveler who entered the woods near the Fosters' house?
3. What is Tuck's reaction when Winnie arrives with Mae and the boys?
4. What does the stranger ask Winnie first and what does this seem to indicate?
5. Why does Winnie decide not to run away?
6. What could Mae mean when she says that she, her husband and her sons have looked the same for eighty-seven years?
7. What is Winnie's reaction and explanation for the mess at the Tuck house?
8. How is it that the Tucks learned of their immortality?
9. What are the three things the author says happens that appear to be mere coincidence?
10. What does Mae say about the reason her family members were the ones who drank from the spring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jesse and Miles are brothers but have very different attitudes about what they must do with their immortality. Discuss these differences in detail.
Essay Topic 2
The Tucks have never been able to settle down anywhere for long while the Fosters have always lived in the same house on the same land. Compare this aspect of the two families, including the impact of their different lives on others.
Essay Topic 3
What is it that Tuck tries to explain to Winnie about life and death? How does Winnie come to realize the truth of Tuck's words?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)