|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Winnie do with the bottle Jesse gave her?
(a) Hides it in a drawer.
(b) Drinks it.
(c) Puts it in her grandmother's drink.
(d) Pours it out.
2. What is it that makes Winnie pick up the toad?
(a) It is about to be run over.
(b) Winnie believes it's thirsty.
(c) Her friends dare her to.
(d) A dog is threatening it.
3. Which of the family doesn't come to see her before she goes to sleep?
4. How many kidnappings does he say he's investigated during his time as constable?
(a) Just one.
(b) Too many to count.
(c) This is the first.
5. What time does Winnie wake up?
(a) Five minutes till midnight.
(b) Four fifteen.
(c) Five o'clock.
(d) Fifteen minutes after midnight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the constable doing when he discovers Winnie is in the cell instead of Mae?
2. Who is Winnie allowed to leave the yard with after the incident at the jail?
3. What does Winnie do when a mosquito lands on her knee?
4. What does Jesse give Winne?
5. What does Winnie do when Miles catches a fish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Winnie wishes that the man would die, but then that he would live. Why is she torn on this point?
2. How does the stranger act when he goes to the Foster house?
3. Why does Winnie say that Mae can never be taken to the gallows?
4. What is it about the mosquito that makes Winnie suddenly decide to keep the secret of the spring?
5. What does Winnie think about after she's poured the bottle of water on the toad?
6. Why does Winnie feel guilt over her plan to take Mae's place in jail?
7. What does Winnie realize about sneaking out of the house?
8. What is the likely significance of the fact that all the lights are on in the Foster house when the stranger arrives?
9. What is the attitude of the Tuck family toward Winnie as they have breakfast?
10. What does the stranger say is his plan for the stream and what role does he want the Tucks to play?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)