|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the constable say they must do with the stranger?
(a) Take him to the Fosters.
(b) Take him in the house.
(c) Take him to the gallows.
(d) Take him to town.
2. What time does Winnie say she'll meet Jesse?
(a) Just after dark.
(b) At ten o'clock.
(c) Just before dawn.
(d) At midnight.
3. What does the stranger say he's going to do with the land he's gotten from the Fosters?
(a) He's going to build a house.
(b) He's going to sell water from the spring.
(c) He doesn't say.
(d) He's going to make a hotel.
4. In what room do the Fosters hear the stranger's story of Winnie's abduction?
(a) In the kitchen .
(b) In Winnie's room.
(c) At the front door.
(d) In the parlor.
5. Who does the stranger say should go with him to get Winnie?
(a) The local constable.
(b) No one.
(c) Mr. Foster.
(d) The entire family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they have for breakfast the morning after Winnie and Miles go fishing?
2. How does the stranger discover the Fosters' gate is unlocked?
3. Which of the family doesn't come to see her before she goes to sleep?
4. What does Jesse say is the reason Miles and Winnie didn't catch any fish?
5. How does the man say he knew about the Tucks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the attitude of the Tuck family toward Winnie as they have breakfast?
2. What is the advantage Winnie gains from the situation at the jail with regard to children her own age?
3. What is Tuck's reaction as he watches the stranger lying on the ground after Mae hits him? Explain the reaction.
4. How is Winnie treated by her family the day after her return?
5. What is the last thing Jesse says to Winnie and what does he mean by it?
6. How does the stranger act when he goes to the Foster house?
7. What is it that Jesse says makes him different from the rest of his family?
8. Why does Winnie say that Mae can never be taken to the gallows?
9. Why does it take a long time for Winnie to fall asleep?
10. Winnie wishes that the man would die, but then that he would live. Why is she torn on this point?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)