|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Winnie and Miles use for bait?
(b) Pork fat.
2. What does Jesse say is the reason Miles and Winnie didn't catch any fish?
(a) Miles is out of practice.
(b) They were using the wrong bait.
(c) There aren't any fish in the pond.
(d) Miles doesn't know how to fish.
3. Who opens the door of Winnie's house?
(a) Winnie's father.
(c) Winnie's mother.
(d) Winnie's grandmother.
4. What does Winnie say the stranger looks like?
(a) A dragonfly.
(b) A toad.
(c) A marionette.
(d) A dead man.
5. Where does the constable say most criminals are sent to serve their jail time?
(b) Clear Creek.
(d) He doesn't say.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the constable say will happen to Mae if the man dies?
2. Why does the stranger say he's going to go ahead?
3. In what room do the Fosters hear the stranger's story of Winnie's abduction?
4. Who confronts Winnie the moment she gets out of bed?
5. What does Winnie say to her family that makes them understand the reason she acted as she did?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Winnie feel guilt over her plan to take Mae's place in jail?
2. What does the stranger say is his plan for the stream and what role does he want the Tucks to play?
3. What is the last thing Jesse says to Winnie and what does he mean by it?
4. What parts of the conversation with the stranger seem to anger Mae the most? Why?
5. How does the stranger act when he goes to the Foster house?
6. Why does it take a long time for Winnie to fall asleep?
7. What is revealed about the constable during his conversations with the stranger?
8. What questions does the constable ask in an effort to get a conversation going during the trip to the Tucks' house?
9. Winnie wishes that the man would die, but then that he would live. Why is she torn on this point?
10. What is it about the mosquito that makes Winnie suddenly decide to keep the secret of the spring?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)