|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who confronts Winnie the moment she gets out of bed?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her father.
(d) No one.
2. How does Winnie overhear the constable's news?
(a) She listens from her window.
(b) She listens from the parlor.
(c) She listens from the top of the stairs.
(d) She listens from the kitchen.
3. What does the constable say will happen to Mae if the man dies?
(a) She'll be taken to jail.
(b) She'll be sent to prison.
(c) She'll be released .
(d) She'll be taken to the gallows.
4. What does Winnie pour on the toad?
(a) The water Jesse gave her.
(b) Her glass of lemonade.
(c) Water from the garden hose.
(d) A bowl of water from the house.
5. What subject does the stranger not study in his effort to learn about the family who doesn't age?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie do when Miles catches a fish?
2. What does Winnie sleep in that night?
3. What does Mae say is the reason Miles and Winnie didn't catch any fish?
4. What is the flash of white Winnie sees from her bedroom window?
5. What does Winnie say to her family that makes them understand the reason she acted as she did?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that Jesse says makes him different from the rest of his family?
2. What is the weather like on the day before Winnie is to take Mae's place in jail?
3. What parts of the conversation with the stranger seem to anger Mae the most? Why?
4. What is the last thing Jesse says to Winnie and what does he mean by it?
5. Why does it take a long time for Winnie to fall asleep?
6. What is the likely significance of the fact that all the lights are on in the Foster house when the stranger arrives?
7. What does Miles say he wants to do with his life and why is that different from the attitudes of Jesse and Tuck?
8. What does Winnie realize about sneaking out of the house?
9. What is it about the mosquito that makes Winnie suddenly decide to keep the secret of the spring?
10. What is the advantage Winnie gains from the situation at the jail with regard to children her own age?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)