|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is waiting for Winnie at the gate?
(d) Jesse, Miles and Tuck.
2. What does Mae do to the man when he threatens to have Winnie drink the water?
(a) Yells at him.
(b) Shoots him.
(c) Hits him with a shotgun.
3. Where does the stranger tie the Tucks' horse?
(a) To the barn door.
(b) To a tree.
(c) To a large rock.
(d) To the Foster's fence.
4. How long does the constable say he's been in charge?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) He doesn't say.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Five years.
5. What does Mae answer when the constable asks why she hit the man?
(a) That he was trying to take the child away.
(b) That he wanted Winnie to drink from the spring.
(c) That he had hit her first.
(d) That he had threatened to tell their secret.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound does Winnie think she hears from inside the jail?
2. Which of the family does Winnie say is the "dearest of them all?"
3. How many kidnappings does he say he's investigated during his time as constable?
4. What does Jesse ask Winnie to do?
5. Where does the stranger put his hat while he talks to the Fosters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What parts of the conversation with the stranger seem to anger Mae the most? Why?
2. What's the reaction of Winnie's family when the constable tells them that Winnie had apparently gone with the Tucks of her own free will?
3. What does Winnie think about after she's poured the bottle of water on the toad?
4. How has Winnie's attitude about the Tucks changed as she eats breakfast with them?
5. What does the stranger say is his plan for the stream and what role does he want the Tucks to play?
6. What does the man say about the people who took Winnie and what does he insinuate about them?
7. How does the stranger act when he goes to the Foster house?
8. How is Winnie treated by her family the day after her return?
9. What is the likely significance of the fact that all the lights are on in the Foster house when the stranger arrives?
10. What is the weather like on the day before Winnie is to take Mae's place in jail?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)