|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jesse say is the reason Miles and Winnie didn't catch any fish?
(a) There aren't any fish in the pond.
(b) They were using the wrong bait.
(c) Miles is out of practice.
(d) Miles doesn't know how to fish.
2. What words does the stranger use to describe the people who took Winnie?
(a) Kind and unusual.
(b) Mean and tough.
(c) Rough and illiterate.
(d) Stupid and homely.
3. What sound does Winnie think she hears from inside the jail?
(a) The horse neighing.
(b) Tuck crying.
(c) The tinkling of the music box.
(d) Mae calling out to her.
4. What kind of fish does Miles predict will be among the lily pads?
5. Where do Winnie's mother and grandmother spend their day?
(a) In the bedrooms.
(b) In the parlor.
(c) On the back porch.
(d) In the kichen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie do with the bottle Jesse gave her?
2. What is it that makes Winnie pick up the toad?
3. Who goes to answer the door?
4. Who is waiting for Winnie at the gate?
5. Who does Winnie tell her grandmother she's talking to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Winnie realize about sneaking out of the house?
2. How has Winnie's attitude about the Tucks changed as she eats breakfast with them?
3. What's the reaction of Winnie's family when the constable tells them that Winnie had apparently gone with the Tucks of her own free will?
4. Why does it take a long time for Winnie to fall asleep?
5. Why does Winnie say that Mae can never be taken to the gallows?
6. What is the attitude of the Tuck family toward Winnie as they have breakfast?
7. What does Miles say he wants to do with his life and why is that different from the attitudes of Jesse and Tuck?
8. What are the conditions of the trade the stranger proposes?
9. Why does Winnie feel guilt over her plan to take Mae's place in jail?
10. What is the advantage Winnie gains from the situation at the jail with regard to children her own age?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)