|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Winnie say to Tuck as she's being taken away?
(a) Everything's going to be all right.
(b) Don't try to follow us.
(c) I'll help get Mae out of jail.
(d) Take good care of the stranger.
2. What does Winnie's grandmother say about how a toad drinks?
(a) That they drink only fresh water.
(b) That they drink only from ponds.
(c) That they drink only from running water.
(d) That they absorb water like a sponge.
3. What do Winnie's mother and grandmother do all day?
(a) Work in the garden.
(b) Fan themselves and drink lemonade.
(c) Work on a quilt.
(d) Cook dinner and can peaches.
4. Which of the family does Winnie say is the "dearest of them all?"
5. Who is Winnie allowed to leave the yard with after the incident at the jail?
(a) Her friends.
(b) Her mother or grandmother.
(c) No one.
(d) Only her mother or father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie say to her family that makes them understand the reason she acted as she did?
2. What does the stranger say?
3. What is Mae's reaction when they hear a knock on the door?
4. What words does the stranger use to describe the people who took Winnie?
5. What is the constable doing when he discovers Winnie is in the cell instead of Mae?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the conditions of the trade the stranger proposes?
2. How does the stranger act when he goes to the Foster house?
3. What does Winnie think about after she's poured the bottle of water on the toad?
4. What does Winnie realize about sneaking out of the house?
5. What is the likely significance of the fact that all the lights are on in the Foster house when the stranger arrives?
6. Why does Winnie feel guilt over her plan to take Mae's place in jail?
7. What does Miles say he wants to do with his life and why is that different from the attitudes of Jesse and Tuck?
8. What is the advantage Winnie gains from the situation at the jail with regard to children her own age?
9. Why does Winnie say that Mae can never be taken to the gallows?
10. What's the reaction of Winnie's family when the constable tells them that Winnie had apparently gone with the Tucks of her own free will?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)