|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Winnie's grandmother say about how a toad drinks?
(a) That they drink only from running water.
(b) That they drink only from ponds.
(c) That they absorb water like a sponge.
(d) That they drink only fresh water.
2. What does Winnie say to her family that makes them understand the reason she acted as she did?
(a) That she knew Mae was innocent.
(b) That the Tucks had a mysterious secret.
(c) That she was bored.
(d) That the Tucks were her friends.
3. Where is the shotgun after Mae hits the stranger with it?
(a) The constable takes it.
(b) Mae gives it to Tuck.
(c) Mae is still holding it.
(d) Mae drops it on the ground.
4. What does Winnie pour on the toad?
(a) Water from the garden hose.
(b) The water Jesse gave her.
(c) A bowl of water from the house.
(d) Her glass of lemonade.
5. What words does the stranger use to describe the people who took Winnie?
(a) Rough and illiterate.
(b) Stupid and homely.
(c) Kind and unusual.
(d) Mean and tough.
Short Answer Questions
1. What image comes to Winnie's mind when she closes her eyes?
2. What does Winnie take to her bedroom to drink?
3. How does Winnie overhear the constable's news?
4. Who is waiting for Winnie at the gate?
5. What does the stranger insist must be done to make the trade legal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the attitude of the Tuck family toward Winnie as they have breakfast?
2. What is the advantage Winnie gains from the situation at the jail with regard to children her own age?
3. What does Winnie realize about sneaking out of the house?
4. What does the man say about the people who took Winnie and what does he insinuate about them?
5. What does Miles say he wants to do with his life and why is that different from the attitudes of Jesse and Tuck?
6. What is the likely significance of the fact that all the lights are on in the Foster house when the stranger arrives?
7. What is it that Jesse says makes him different from the rest of his family?
8. What is it about the mosquito that makes Winnie suddenly decide to keep the secret of the spring?
9. How does the stranger act when he goes to the Foster house?
10. What is revealed about the constable during his conversations with the stranger?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)