|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do they have for breakfast the morning after Winnie and Miles go fishing?
(a) Eggs and bacon.
(c) Nothing because they didn't keep the fish.
2. What does Winnie sleep in that night?
(a) One of Jesse's shirt.
(b) Her own clothes.
(c) Mae's spare nightgown.
(d) Her own nightgown.
3. How long does the constable say he's been in charge?
(a) He doesn't say.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Five years.
4. How does Winnie plan to provide water for the toad?
(a) She is going to carry the toad to the pond.
(b) She turns on the water hose.
(c) She carries a bowl of water outside.
(d) She is going to take the toad inside to the tub.
5. What does the stranger say people came to believe about this family that didn't age?
(a) That they are gods.
(b) That they should share their secret.
(c) That they were ghosts.
(d) That they were witches, or worse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the family does Winnie say is the "dearest of them all?"
2. What does Winnie pour on the toad?
3. What does Winnie's grandmother say about how a toad drinks?
4. What does the person say who opens the door for the stranger?
5. What does Mae do to the man when he threatens to have Winnie drink the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Winnie's attitude about the Tucks changed as she eats breakfast with them?
2. What is the weather like on the day before Winnie is to take Mae's place in jail?
3. Winnie wishes that the man would die, but then that he would live. Why is she torn on this point?
4. What is Tuck's reaction as he watches the stranger lying on the ground after Mae hits him? Explain the reaction.
5. What is the likely significance of the fact that all the lights are on in the Foster house when the stranger arrives?
6. What does Winnie realize about sneaking out of the house?
7. What questions does the constable ask in an effort to get a conversation going during the trip to the Tucks' house?
8. What is it that Jesse says makes him different from the rest of his family?
9. What is it about the mosquito that makes Winnie suddenly decide to keep the secret of the spring?
10. What is the advantage Winnie gains from the situation at the jail with regard to children her own age?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)