|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the constable say he's been in charge?
(a) Five years.
(b) He doesn't say.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Twenty years.
2. Why does Winnie say the entire escapade is difficult for her family?
(a) Because they wanted Winnie to be punished.
(b) Because they wanted to meet the Tucks.
(c) Because they had to pay a fine .
(d) Because they are proud.
3. What does the stranger insist must be done to make the trade legal?
(a) It must be filed at the courthouse.
(b) It must be written on a piece of paper.
(d) The men must shake hands.
4. What does the constable say about the kidnapping charges against the Tucks?
(a) That they wont' be charged because Winnie says she went willingly.
(b) That they will all be charged and hanged.
(c) That they will all be charged except the youngest, Jesse.
(d) That they won't be charged because the murder charge is more important.
5. What is the flash of white Winnie sees from her bedroom window?
(a) A fire.
(b) Heat lightning.
(c) An airplane.
(d) A cell phone tower.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miles say was the name of his daughter?
2. Who lifts Winnie through the window and into the jail?
3. What does Jesse give Winne?
4. What does the constable say about the man in the yellow suit?
5. Who goes to answer the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. What questions does the constable ask in an effort to get a conversation going during the trip to the Tucks' house?
2. What is the weather like on the day before Winnie is to take Mae's place in jail?
3. Winnie wishes that the man would die, but then that he would live. Why is she torn on this point?
4. What does Winnie think about after she's poured the bottle of water on the toad?
5. What is the advantage Winnie gains from the situation at the jail with regard to children her own age?
6. Why does it take a long time for Winnie to fall asleep?
7. What is Tuck's reaction as he watches the stranger lying on the ground after Mae hits him? Explain the reaction.
8. What parts of the conversation with the stranger seem to anger Mae the most? Why?
9. Why does Winnie feel guilt over her plan to take Mae's place in jail?
10. What does Miles say he wants to do with his life and why is that different from the attitudes of Jesse and Tuck?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)