|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of fish does Miles predict will be among the lily pads?
2. How far does the stranger tell the constable they have to go to find Winnie?
(a) Twenty miles.
(b) Five miles.
(c) Two miles.
(d) Sixteen miles.
3. What does Winnie take to her bedroom to drink?
(a) The water Jesse gave her.
(b) A cola.
(d) Iced tea.
4. What does Winnie say the stranger looks like?
(a) A toad.
(b) A dragonfly.
(c) A dead man.
(d) A marionette.
5. What is the flash of white Winnie sees from her bedroom window?
(a) An airplane.
(b) A fire.
(c) Heat lightning.
(d) A cell phone tower.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stranger say he's going to do with the land he's gotten from the Fosters?
2. Which of the family doesn't come to see her before she goes to sleep?
3. Who is Winnie allowed to leave the yard with after the incident at the jail?
4. Why does Winnie feel relief when it's time for supper?
5. What do they have for breakfast the morning after Winnie and Miles go fishing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What's the reaction of Winnie's family when the constable tells them that Winnie had apparently gone with the Tucks of her own free will?
2. What is the advantage Winnie gains from the situation at the jail with regard to children her own age?
3. What is the plan Jesse tells Winnie and what does she add to the plan?
4. What is it about the mosquito that makes Winnie suddenly decide to keep the secret of the spring?
5. How is Winnie treated by her family the day after her return?
6. Why does Winnie feel guilt over her plan to take Mae's place in jail?
7. What parts of the conversation with the stranger seem to anger Mae the most? Why?
8. Why does Winnie say that Mae can never be taken to the gallows?
9. What is Tuck's reaction as he watches the stranger lying on the ground after Mae hits him? Explain the reaction.
10. What is the weather like on the day before Winnie is to take Mae's place in jail?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)