|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Winnie allowed to leave the yard with after the incident at the jail?
(a) Her mother or grandmother.
(b) Only her mother or father.
(c) Her friends.
(d) No one.
2. What do Winnie and Miles use for bait?
(b) Pork fat.
3. What does Winnie do with the bottle Jesse gave her?
(a) Drinks it.
(b) Hides it in a drawer.
(c) Pours it out.
(d) Puts it in her grandmother's drink.
4. Why does the stranger say he's going to go ahead?
(a) He says he wants to return the horse.
(b) He says he's too tired to wait for the constable.
(c) He doesn't say.
(d) He says he's worried about the child.
5. What does Winnie do when Miles catches a fish?
(a) Asks where they can catch another.
(b) Asks him to let it go.
(c) Asks to fish some more herself.
(d) Asks if that wil be enough for breakfast.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie's grandmother say about how a toad drinks?
2. Which of the family does Winnie say is the "dearest of them all?"
3. Where is the shotgun after Mae hits the stranger with it?
4. Why does Miles use oil on the window?
5. What does the constable say about the kidnapping charges against the Tucks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Winnie feel guilt over her plan to take Mae's place in jail?
2. What parts of the conversation with the stranger seem to anger Mae the most? Why?
3. What's the reaction of Winnie's family when the constable tells them that Winnie had apparently gone with the Tucks of her own free will?
4. What is the likely significance of the fact that all the lights are on in the Foster house when the stranger arrives?
5. How has Winnie's attitude about the Tucks changed as she eats breakfast with them?
6. What does the man say about the people who took Winnie and what does he insinuate about them?
7. What is the attitude of the Tuck family toward Winnie as they have breakfast?
8. Why does Winnie say that Mae can never be taken to the gallows?
9. What is the last thing Jesse says to Winnie and what does he mean by it?
10. What is it that Jesse says makes him different from the rest of his family?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)