|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mae use for a towel after she washes her face in the stream?
(a) The bottom of her dress.
(b) A towel.
(c) Her shawl.
(d) The horse blanket.
2. Why do people usually go around the woods?
(a) The road is filled with thorns.
(b) The road goes around the woods and the Fosters own it.
(c) The road goes around the woods and they're scary.
(d) The Fosters own the land and people are scared of them.
3. Why does Winnie leave her house?
(a) She is on her way to meet Jesse and Miles.
(b) She wants to explore the woods.
(c) She is looking for Mae Tuck.
(d) She is running away.
4. How often does Mae Tuck make this journey?
(a) Every month.
(b) Every year.
(c) Every ten years.
(d) Every week.
5. The village doesn't matter except for what two things?
(a) The school and the church.
(b) The preacher's house and the train station.
(c) The jailhouse and the gallows.
(d) The saloon and the general store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Miles and Jesse do when they arrive home?
2. How does Winnie discover she's supposed to get the maple syrup off her fingers while she eats?
3. Who is it that calls out to Tuck to come back to the house?
4. What does Winnie learn would be her fate if she drank from the spring?
5. How does Mae fasten the shawl around her shoulders?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it about the mosquito that makes Winnie suddenly decide to keep the secret of the spring?
2. What does Miles say he wants to do with his life and why is that different from the attitudes of Jesse and Tuck?
3. What is the weather like on the day before Winnie is to take Mae's place in jail?
4. Give two examples of imagery in the prologue.
5. What does the stranger ask Winnie first and what does this seem to indicate?
6. Winnie wishes that the man would die, but then that he would live. Why is she torn on this point?
7. List an instance of foreshadowing in the prologue of the book and tell what this foreshadowing seems to indicate.
8. What do Mae and the boys do to Winnie after she was asking for a drink from the spring?
9. Why does Winnie say she will go with the Fosters willingly?
10. What is Winnie's reaction and explanation for the mess at the Tuck house?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)