|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the only two living things Winnie has found on that particular morning?
(a) A toad and a lizard.
(b) A horse and Mae Tuck.
(c) A toad and a cloud of gnats.
(d) Mae Tuck and a horsefly.
2. What is the first thing Mae says to Tuck upon waking?
(a) We need to clean the cobwebs.
(b) We're all going to the river.
(c) Jesse and Miles are planning a picnic.
(d) The boys will be home tomorrow.
3. What words are used to describe the fingers of the stranger?
(a) Graceful and white.
(b) White and ugly.
(c) Pale blue and chubby.
(d) Long and skinny.
4. What is the sound that makes Winnie stop crying?
(a) Mae's quiet voice.
(b) The running water.
(c) Her mother calling her.
(d) The music box.
5. When does Mae say they'll take Winnie home?
(a) In a few weeks.
(c) The following day.
(d) She doesn't say.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many nights does Winnie say she has spent away from home?
2. How does Mae plan to travel to Treegap?
3. What do passersby want to do when they reach the woods?
4. Who is it that yells at Winnie that lunch is ready?
5. What do Jesse, Mae, Miles and Winnie have to eat on the way back to the Tucks' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three things the author says happens that appear to be mere coincidence?
2. What could Mae mean when she says that she, her husband and her sons have looked the same for eighty-seven years?
3. What is Tuck's reaction when Winnie arrives with Mae and the boys?
4. Why does Winnie think the simple meal she shares with the Tuck family is "luxurious?"
5. How and why does Winnie's attitude about the Tucks suddenly change?
6. What is the music Winnie, her grandmother and the stranger hear? What do they believe it to be?
7. Describe the conversation between Jesse and Winnie when Winnie asks for a drink from the spring.
8. Give two examples of imagery in the prologue.
9. What is Winnie's reaction and explanation for the mess at the Tuck house?
10. What is Winnie's reaction to being kidnapped?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)