|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the stranger at the Foster's gate say he is looking for?
(a) Mae Tuck.
(b) Winnie Foster.
(c) He doesn't say.
(d) Jesse and Miles.
2. What color is the straw hat Mae puts on?
3. How many brothers and sisters does Winnie Foster have?
4. How old is Winnie?
(a) She doesn't say.
(b) Ten, going on eleven.
(c) Sixteen, going on seventeen.
(d) Eleven, going on twelve.
5. What does Mae use as a fan?
(a) Her hat.
(b) A leaf.
(c) Her handkerchief.
(d) A letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Where" is the first week of August?
2. Why does Jesse tell Winnie that she cannot have a drink of the water?
3. What does Mae do when they pass the strange man with Winnie astride the horse?
4. What does the author say accompanies the frequent nighttime lightning?
5. Which of the following was not part of the supper Winnie shares with the Tuck family her first night with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why does Winnie's attitude about the Tucks suddenly change?
2. Why does Winnie say she will go with the Fosters willingly?
3. Why does Winnie think the simple meal she shares with the Tuck family is "luxurious?"
4. Why does Winnie say she wishes she had brothers or sisters?
5. What is the analogy Tuck explains of the pond?
6. What are the three things the author says happens that appear to be mere coincidence?
7. Why do the Fosters believe the spring words?
8. Why does Jesse say that it feels "fine" to tell somebody the story of the remarkable spring?
9. What is the significance of the dream Tuck is having when Mae wakes him up?
10. What does Tuck mean when he says that he would get "back on the wheel" if he could?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)