|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that Winnie discovers lives in the table drawer at the Tuck home?
(a) A kitten.
(b) A cricket.
(c) An elf.
(d) A mouse.
2. Tuck says that his family is no longer part of life, but are like what?
(a) A horse pulling a wagon.
(b) Rocks beside the road.
(c) A boat going across a pond.
(d) Water being recycled.
3. Who owns the first cottage past the woods on the road to Treegap?
(a) No one.
(b) The Franklins.
(c) The Fosters.
(d) The Tucks.
4. What time does the stranger appear at the Foster's gate?
(a) At midnight.
(b) At sunset.
(c) At noontime.
(d) At dawn.
5. What does the man say he's looking for?
(a) A toad.
(b) A place to spend the night.
(c) A woman.
(d) A family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the stranger's suit?
2. Which of these words does the author use to describe the first week of August?
3. When does Mae say they'll take Winnie home?
4. Who does the stranger at the Foster's gate say he is looking for?
5. What does Winnie say the music sounds like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the foreshadowing related to the spring itself?
2. Describe the conversation between Jesse and Winnie when Winnie asks for a drink from the spring.
3. How is Winnie treated by her family the day after her return?
4. What do Mae and the boys do to Winnie after she was asking for a drink from the spring?
5. What parts of the conversation with the stranger seem to anger Mae the most? Why?
6. List an instance of foreshadowing in the prologue of the book and tell what this foreshadowing seems to indicate.
7. Give two examples of imagery in the prologue.
8. What is the advantage Winnie gains from the situation at the jail with regard to children her own age?
9. What could Mae mean when she says that she, her husband and her sons have looked the same for eighty-seven years?
10. What are the changes that occur when the road to Treegap becomes the "property of people?"
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)