|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT on the list of things a traveler would find in the woods?
2. Why do people usually go around the woods?
(a) The road goes around the woods and the Fosters own it.
(b) The Fosters own the land and people are scared of them.
(c) The road is filled with thorns.
(d) The road goes around the woods and they're scary.
3. Which of these words does the author use to describe the first week of August?
(a) Windy and hot.
(b) Motionless and hot.
(c) Steamy and hot.
(d) Balmy and hot.
4. What are the only two living things Winnie has found on that particular morning?
(a) A horse and Mae Tuck.
(b) Mae Tuck and a horsefly.
(c) A toad and a lizard.
(d) A toad and a cloud of gnats.
5. What time does Mae Tuck set out for the village?
(a) At noon.
(b) At ten in the morning.
(c) At midnight.
(d) At dawn.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Miles have?
2. Who owns the first cottage past the woods on the road to Treegap?
3. What is Jesse doing when Winnie first sees him?
4. What is Jesse's first answer when Winnie asks his age?
5. What kind of shoes is Winnie wearing when she gets into the rowboat with Tuck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mae say about the reason her family members were the ones who drank from the spring?
2. What are the three things the author says happens that appear to be mere coincidence?
3. What is the significance of the dream Tuck is having when Mae wakes him up?
4. Why do the Fosters believe the spring words?
5. What does Tuck mean when he says that Winnie is a "real, honest-to-goodness, natural child?"
6. Why does Jesse say that it feels "fine" to tell somebody the story of the remarkable spring?
7. Describe the conversation between Jesse and Winnie when Winnie asks for a drink from the spring.
8. What does Mae tell Tuck she plans to do while in Treegap?
9. What is Mae's response when Tuck tells her that she shouldn't ride into town?
10. Why does Winnie think the simple meal she shares with the Tuck family is "luxurious?"
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)