|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tuck say he's going to do while Mae goes to Treegap?
(a) Clean the house.
(b) Work in the garden.
(c) Go with her.
2. What color is the stranger's suit?
3. What is the first thing Mae says to Tuck upon waking?
(a) The boys will be home tomorrow.
(b) We need to clean the cobwebs.
(c) We're all going to the river.
(d) Jesse and Miles are planning a picnic.
4. What is the first creature Winnie hears when she and Tuck get into the rowboat at the pond?
(a) Jesse yelling.
(b) A mocking bird.
(c) A dog barking.
(d) A frog.
5. What do passersby want to do when they pass the house?
(a) Make a lot of noise and throw a rock or two.
(c) Ask for a drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say about the sunsets of this first week of August?
2. Who else besides Winnie heard the story about the spring told by Jesse, Mae and Miles?
3. When does Mae say she'll be return home?
4. Which of the following was not part of the supper Winnie shares with the Tuck family her first night with them?
5. What member of the Tuck group did not drink from the spring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the foreshadowing related to the spring itself?
2. List an instance of foreshadowing in the prologue of the book and tell what this foreshadowing seems to indicate.
3. Why does Winnie say she will go with the Fosters willingly?
4. How and why does Winnie's attitude about the Tucks suddenly change?
5. What are the three things the author says happens that appear to be mere coincidence?
6. What is Tuck's reaction when Winnie arrives with Mae and the boys?
7. What does Mae say about the reason her family members were the ones who drank from the spring?
8. What are the changes that occur when the road to Treegap becomes the "property of people?"
9. Give two examples of imagery in the prologue.
10. What does Tuck mean when he says that Winnie is a "real, honest-to-goodness, natural child?"
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)