|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time does the stranger appear at the Foster's gate?
(a) At midnight.
(b) At dawn.
(c) At noontime.
(d) At sunset.
2. What color is the straw hat Mae puts on?
3. What is the first thing Miles and Jesse do when they arrive home?
(a) Take a nap.
(b) Look for their cat.
(c) Ask for dinner.
(d) Jump in the pond.
4. What does the author say accompanies the frequent nighttime lightning?
(a) Neither thunder nor rain.
(b) Only thunder.
(c) Only rain.
(d) Both thunder and rain.
5. Why do people usually go around the woods?
(a) The Fosters own the land and people are scared of them.
(b) The road goes around the woods and they're scary.
(c) The road is filled with thorns.
(d) The road goes around the woods and the Fosters own it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the smell that comes from the wardrobe in the Tucks' bedroom?
2. What does Mae do when they pass the strange man with Winnie astride the horse?
3. What is it that conceals the spring that bubbles up in the middle of the woods?
4. How many brothers and sisters does Winnie Foster have?
5. Who owns the first cottage past the woods on the road to Treegap?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jesse say that it feels "fine" to tell somebody the story of the remarkable spring?
2. Winnie indicates that she's going to do something the following day. What does she say she's going to do and why?
3. What are the three things the author says happens that appear to be mere coincidence?
4. What is Winnie's reaction to being kidnapped?
5. List an instance of foreshadowing in the prologue of the book and tell what this foreshadowing seems to indicate.
6. What is Winnie's reaction and explanation for the mess at the Tuck house?
7. Why does Winnie think the simple meal she shares with the Tuck family is "luxurious?"
8. What could Mae mean when she says that she, her husband and her sons have looked the same for eighty-seven years?
9. What do Mae and the boys do to Winnie after she was asking for a drink from the spring?
10. What is the significance of the dream Tuck is having when Mae wakes him up?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)