|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had been the Tucks' plan?
(a) To open a store.
(b) To raise cattle.
(c) To fish.
(d) To farm.
2. What does Mae use for a towel after she washes her face in the stream?
(a) Her shawl.
(b) A towel.
(c) The bottom of her dress.
(d) The horse blanket.
3. How many pockets are there in Mae's skirt?
4. What is the sound that makes Winnie stop crying?
(a) The running water.
(b) The music box.
(c) Mae's quiet voice.
(d) Her mother calling her.
5. Why do people usually go around the woods?
(a) The Fosters own the land and people are scared of them.
(b) The road goes around the woods and the Fosters own it.
(c) The road is filled with thorns.
(d) The road goes around the woods and they're scary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of pet does Winnie say she might like to have?
2. What does Mae use as a fan?
3. What member of the Tuck group did not drink from the spring?
4. What color are Jesse's suspenders?
5. Which of the following is true of Winnie's beliefs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give two examples of imagery in the prologue.
2. What does the author say would likely be found by a traveler who entered the woods near the Fosters' house?
3. What is Mae's response when Tuck tells her that she shouldn't ride into town?
4. Winnie indicates that she's going to do something the following day. What does she say she's going to do and why?
5. What is the music Winnie, her grandmother and the stranger hear? What do they believe it to be?
6. List an instance of foreshadowing in the prologue of the book and tell what this foreshadowing seems to indicate.
7. How is it that the Tucks learned of their immortality?
8. What could Mae mean when she says that she, her husband and her sons have looked the same for eighty-seven years?
9. Why does Winnie say she wishes she had brothers or sisters?
10. What is Tuck's reaction when Winnie arrives with Mae and the boys?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)