|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jesse ask Winnie to do?
(a) Drink from the spring when she's seventeen.
(b) Drink from the spring the following day.
(c) Ask Tuck if she should drink from the spring.
(d) Never drink from the spring.
2. Who does the stranger say should go with him to get Winnie?
(a) The entire family.
(b) No one.
(c) The local constable.
(d) Mr. Foster.
3. Why does Winnie feel relief when it's time for supper?
(a) It means it's almost midnight.
(b) She's starving.
(c) It's something to do.
(d) She doesn't have to do dishes.
4. What does Jesse give Winne?
(a) A bottle of wine.
(b) A bottle of soda.
(c) A bottle of the water.
(d) A bottle of grape juice.
5. What time does Winnie say she'll meet Jesse?
(a) At midnight.
(b) At ten o'clock.
(c) Just before dawn.
(d) Just after dark.
6. What color is the dragonfly that darts near the rowboat while Winnie and Miles are fishing?
7. What do Winnie and Miles use for bait?
(b) Pork fat.
8. Why does Winnie say the entire escapade is difficult for her family?
(a) Because they wanted Winnie to be punished.
(b) Because they had to pay a fine .
(c) Because they are proud.
(d) Because they wanted to meet the Tucks.
9. Who does Jesse say came up with a plan to get Mae out of jail?
10. Who does Winnie tell her grandmother she's talking to?
(b) Just a boy.
(c) The constable.
11. What does Winnie say the stranger looks like?
(a) A dragonfly.
(b) A marionette.
(c) A dead man.
(d) A toad.
12. What does the man say he plans to do with the water?
(a) Sell it.
(b) Save it.
(d) Hide it.
13. Who goes to answer the door?
14. Who opens the door of Winnie's house?
(a) Winnie's grandmother.
(b) Winnie's father.
(c) Winnie's mother.
15. What does Mae say is the reason Miles and Winnie didn't catch any fish?
(a) There aren't any fish in the pond.
(b) Miles doesn't know how to fish.
(c) They were using the wrong bait.
(d) Miles is out of practice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the flash of white Winnie sees from her bedroom window?
2. What do Winnie's mother and grandmother do all day?
3. What does the man want in return for telling Winnie's whereabouts?
4. What is it that makes Winnie pick up the toad?
5. What does the stranger say people came to believe about this family that didn't age?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)