|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Winnie's mother and grandmother spend their day?
(a) In the bedrooms.
(b) In the kichen.
(c) On the back porch.
(d) In the parlor.
2. What color is the jailhouse painted?
(c) It's unpainted.
3. How long does the constable say he's been in charge?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) He doesn't say.
(d) Five years.
4. What do they have for breakfast the morning after Winnie and Miles go fishing?
(a) Nothing because they didn't keep the fish.
(d) Eggs and bacon.
5. What is the constable doing when he discovers Winnie is in the cell instead of Mae?
(a) Looking for Winnie.
(b) Bringing Mae's breakfast.
(c) Making a check of the prisoners.
(d) Opening the window.
6. What does the stranger say he's going to do with the land he's gotten from the Fosters?
(a) He's going to build a house.
(b) He doesn't say.
(c) He's going to make a hotel.
(d) He's going to sell water from the spring.
7. Who lifts Winnie through the window and into the jail?
8. What time is it when the stranger arrives at Winnie's house?
(a) Almost midnight.
(b) Almost noon.
(c) Just after ten o'clock.
(d) There's no indication of the time.
9. What color is the dragonfly that darts near the rowboat while Winnie and Miles are fishing?
10. What does Mae answer when the constable asks why she hit the man?
(a) That he had hit her first.
(b) That he had threatened to tell their secret.
(c) That he was trying to take the child away.
(d) That he wanted Winnie to drink from the spring.
11. What does the stranger say?
(a) That he needs something to eat .
(b) That he knows where the little girl is.
(d) That he has a horse for sale.
12. What does Winnie say to Tuck as she's being taken away?
(a) I'll help get Mae out of jail.
(b) Don't try to follow us.
(c) Everything's going to be all right.
(d) Take good care of the stranger.
13. What does Miles say was the name of his daughter?
14. What does Winnie do with the bottle Jesse gave her?
(a) Puts it in her grandmother's drink.
(b) Hides it in a drawer.
(c) Drinks it.
(d) Pours it out.
15. What does Winnie's grandmother say about how a toad drinks?
(a) That they drink only from running water.
(b) That they absorb water like a sponge.
(c) That they drink only fresh water.
(d) That they drink only from ponds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Winnie allowed to leave the yard with after the incident at the jail?
2. What is Tuck wearing when he comes in to check on Winnie?
3. Who does the stranger say should go with him to get Winnie?
4. What does the constable say they must do with the stranger?
5. Where is the shotgun after Mae hits the stranger with it?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)