|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the constable say will happen to Mae if the man dies?
(a) She'll be sent to prison.
(b) She'll be released .
(c) She'll be taken to jail.
(d) She'll be taken to the gallows.
2. What does the man want in return for telling Winnie's whereabouts?
(a) The Foster's House.
(b) Ownership of the woods.
(c) Water from the spring.
3. What does the constable say about the kidnapping charges against the Tucks?
(a) That they will all be charged except the youngest, Jesse.
(b) That they won't be charged because the murder charge is more important.
(c) That they will all be charged and hanged.
(d) That they wont' be charged because Winnie says she went willingly.
4. What does Winnie's grandmother say about how a toad drinks?
(a) That they absorb water like a sponge.
(b) That they drink only fresh water.
(c) That they drink only from ponds.
(d) That they drink only from running water.
5. How many kidnappings does he say he's investigated during his time as constable?
(a) Too many to count.
(c) Just one.
(d) This is the first.
6. What do they have for breakfast the morning after Winnie and Miles go fishing?
(a) Eggs and bacon.
(d) Nothing because they didn't keep the fish.
7. What subject does the stranger not study in his effort to learn about the family who doesn't age?
8. What color is the dragonfly that darts near the rowboat while Winnie and Miles are fishing?
9. What sound does Winnie think she hears from inside the jail?
(a) The tinkling of the music box.
(b) Tuck crying.
(c) The horse neighing.
(d) Mae calling out to her.
10. What does Mae do to the man when he threatens to have Winnie drink the water?
(a) Yells at him.
(b) Hits him with a shotgun.
(c) Shoots him.
11. What is Tuck wearing when he comes in to check on Winnie?
(a) A pair of pants a a tee shirt.
(c) A long white nightshirt.
(d) A green robe.
12. Who goes to answer the door?
13. What is Mae's reaction when they hear a knock on the door?
(a) She yells, "come in".
(b) She drops her fork.
(c) She screams.
(d) She asks Winnie who it could be.
14. What is the flash of white Winnie sees from her bedroom window?
(a) Heat lightning.
(b) A cell phone tower.
(c) A fire.
(d) An airplane.
15. Why does Miles use oil on the window?
(a) There isn't a reason.
(b) To eliminate the possibility of fingerprints.
(c) So that Mae can slip through more easily.
(d) To keep the nails from making a sound as they are pulled out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stranger say he's going to do with the land he's gotten from the Fosters?
2. Why had Mae put flapjack crumbs in the table drawer?
3. In what room do the Fosters hear the stranger's story of Winnie's abduction?
4. What does Miles say was the name of his daughter?
5. Who does the stranger say should go with him to get Winnie?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)