|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the stranger put his hat?
(a) On the table.
(b) On the floor.
(c) On the back of the chair.
(d) On the mantel.
2. Where does Mae make a bed for Winnie to sleep that night?
(a) On the sofa.
(b) On a chair.
(c) On a folding cot.
(d) In the loft.
3. What does Jesse give Winne?
(a) A bottle of grape juice.
(b) A bottle of soda.
(c) A bottle of wine.
(d) A bottle of the water.
4. What does the stranger say?
(a) That he has a horse for sale.
(b) That he knows where the little girl is.
(d) That he needs something to eat .
5. What words does the stranger use to describe the people who took Winnie?
(a) Mean and tough.
(b) Rough and illiterate.
(c) Stupid and homely.
(d) Kind and unusual.
6. What color is the jailhouse painted?
(d) It's unpainted.
7. Who opens the door of Winnie's house?
(a) Winnie's mother.
(b) Winnie's grandmother.
(d) Winnie's father.
8. What does the person say who opens the door for the stranger?
(a) What do you want?.
(b) Go away.
(d) Come in.
9. What image comes to Winnie's mind when she closes her eyes?
(a) Tuck's kind face.
(b) The man in the yellow suit.
(c) The blood on Mae's hands.
10. What does Jesse ask Winnie to do?
(a) Ask Tuck if she should drink from the spring.
(b) Drink from the spring the following day.
(c) Never drink from the spring.
(d) Drink from the spring when she's seventeen.
11. What does the man say he plans to do with the water?
(b) Hide it.
(c) Save it.
(d) Sell it.
12. Who confronts Winnie the moment she gets out of bed?
(a) No one.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her mother.
13. What time does Winnie say she'll meet Jesse?
(a) At midnight.
(b) Just before dawn.
(c) Just after dark.
(d) At ten o'clock.
14. What does Winnie say to her family that makes them understand the reason she acted as she did?
(a) That the Tucks had a mysterious secret.
(b) That the Tucks were her friends.
(c) That she knew Mae was innocent.
(d) That she was bored.
15. Where does the stranger put his hat while he talks to the Fosters?
(a) On the back of the chair.
(b) On the table.
(c) On a peg by the door.
(d) On his knee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes to answer the door?
2. How does the man say he knew about the Tucks?
3. What do Winnie's mother and grandmother do all day?
4. Where does the constable say most criminals are sent to serve their jail time?
5. What is it that makes Winnie pick up the toad?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)