|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Miles use oil on the window?
(a) To eliminate the possibility of fingerprints.
(b) To keep the nails from making a sound as they are pulled out.
(c) There isn't a reason.
(d) So that Mae can slip through more easily.
2. Who opens the door of Winnie's house?
(a) Winnie's grandmother.
(c) Winnie's father.
(d) Winnie's mother.
3. What do Winnie's mother and grandmother do all day?
(a) Cook dinner and can peaches.
(b) Work in the garden.
(c) Work on a quilt.
(d) Fan themselves and drink lemonade.
4. Why had Mae put flapjack crumbs in the table drawer?
(a) To save for later.
(b) For the mouse to eat.
(c) There's no reason at all.
(d) She doesn't have a trash can.
5. What does the stranger say people came to believe about this family that didn't age?
(a) That they should share their secret.
(b) That they were ghosts.
(c) That they were witches, or worse.
(d) That they are gods.
6. What is the constable doing when he discovers Winnie is in the cell instead of Mae?
(a) Opening the window.
(b) Bringing Mae's breakfast.
(c) Making a check of the prisoners.
(d) Looking for Winnie.
7. How does the man say he knew about the Tucks?
(a) He'd read about the story in college.
(b) His grandmother told him the story.
(c) He happened to find the spring.
(d) His mother had told him the story.
8. Where does the stranger put his hat while he talks to the Fosters?
(a) On his knee.
(b) On the back of the chair.
(c) On the table.
(d) On a peg by the door.
9. What does the constable say about the man in the yellow suit?
(a) That he has recovered.
(b) That he's going to jail.
(c) That he died.
(d) That he has run away.
10. Which of the family does Winnie say is the "dearest of them all?"
11. Who does the stranger say should go with him to get Winnie?
(a) Mr. Foster.
(b) The entire family.
(c) No one.
(d) The local constable.
12. What is the flash of white Winnie sees from her bedroom window?
(a) A cell phone tower.
(b) Heat lightning.
(c) An airplane.
(d) A fire.
13. What time does Winnie wake up?
(a) Four fifteen.
(b) Fifteen minutes after midnight.
(c) Five minutes till midnight.
(d) Five o'clock.
14. What does the person say who opens the door for the stranger?
(b) Go away.
(c) Come in.
(d) What do you want?.
15. How long does the constable say he's been in charge?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Five years.
(d) He doesn't say.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far does the stranger tell the constable they have to go to find Winnie?
2. Where does the constable say most criminals are sent to serve their jail time?
3. What does Jesse give Winne?
4. What kind of fish does Miles predict will be among the lily pads?
5. What does Winnie say the stranger looks like?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)