|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the stranger tie the Tucks' horse?
(a) To the barn door.
(b) To the Foster's fence.
(c) To a tree.
(d) To a large rock.
2. Which of the family does Winnie say is the "dearest of them all?"
3. What does Winnie's grandmother say about how a toad drinks?
(a) That they absorb water like a sponge.
(b) That they drink only fresh water.
(c) That they drink only from running water.
(d) That they drink only from ponds.
4. Where does the constable say most criminals are sent to serve their jail time?
(b) He doesn't say.
(c) Clear Creek.
5. What does Winnie say to her family that makes them understand the reason she acted as she did?
(a) That the Tucks were her friends.
(b) That she knew Mae was innocent.
(c) That the Tucks had a mysterious secret.
(d) That she was bored.
6. What does Winnie do when Miles catches a fish?
(a) Asks if that wil be enough for breakfast.
(b) Asks him to let it go.
(c) Asks to fish some more herself.
(d) Asks where they can catch another.
7. What does Winnie say to Tuck as she's being taken away?
(a) I'll help get Mae out of jail.
(b) Take good care of the stranger.
(c) Everything's going to be all right.
(d) Don't try to follow us.
8. What does Mae say is the reason Miles and Winnie didn't catch any fish?
(a) They were using the wrong bait.
(b) There aren't any fish in the pond.
(c) Miles doesn't know how to fish.
(d) Miles is out of practice.
9. Who is Winnie allowed to leave the yard with after the incident at the jail?
(a) No one.
(b) Her friends.
(c) Her mother or grandmother.
(d) Only her mother or father.
10. What does the man say he plans to do with the water?
(b) Hide it.
(c) Sell it.
(d) Save it.
11. What time does Winnie say she'll meet Jesse?
(a) Just after dark.
(b) At midnight.
(c) At ten o'clock.
(d) Just before dawn.
12. What does the constable say will happen to Mae if the man dies?
(a) She'll be taken to the gallows.
(b) She'll be taken to jail.
(c) She'll be sent to prison.
(d) She'll be released .
13. What does the stranger insist must be done to make the trade legal?
(a) The men must shake hands.
(c) It must be filed at the courthouse.
(d) It must be written on a piece of paper.
14. How long does the constable say he's been in charge?
(a) Five years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) He doesn't say.
(d) Twenty years.
15. Who is waiting for Winnie at the gate?
(b) Jesse, Miles and Tuck.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far does the stranger tell the constable they have to go to find Winnie?
2. What does Mae answer when the constable asks why she hit the man?
3. What does the constable say about the kidnapping charges against the Tucks?
4. What does the constable say they must do with the stranger?
5. Who confronts Winnie the moment she gets out of bed?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)