|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the constable say most criminals are sent to serve their jail time?
(c) Clear Creek.
(d) He doesn't say.
2. Who opens the door of Winnie's house?
(a) Winnie's father.
(b) Winnie's mother.
(c) Winnie's grandmother.
3. What sound does Winnie think she hears from inside the jail?
(a) Tuck crying.
(b) The tinkling of the music box.
(c) Mae calling out to her.
(d) The horse neighing.
4. What does Winnie pour on the toad?
(a) Her glass of lemonade.
(b) Water from the garden hose.
(c) The water Jesse gave her.
(d) A bowl of water from the house.
5. What does the constable say they must do with the stranger?
(a) Take him to the Fosters.
(b) Take him to the gallows.
(c) Take him to town.
(d) Take him in the house.
6. Why does the stranger say he's going to go ahead?
(a) He doesn't say.
(b) He says he's worried about the child.
(c) He says he's too tired to wait for the constable.
(d) He says he wants to return the horse.
7. How does the man say he knew about the Tucks?
(a) His grandmother told him the story.
(b) He happened to find the spring.
(c) His mother had told him the story.
(d) He'd read about the story in college.
8. What does Winnie sit in back in her room at home?
(a) A swing in the back yard.
(b) Her father's chair.
(c) Her mother's lap.
(d) A small rocking chair.
9. What is the flash of white Winnie sees from her bedroom window?
(a) An airplane.
(b) A cell phone tower.
(c) A fire.
(d) Heat lightning.
10. How does Winnie overhear the constable's news?
(a) She listens from her window.
(b) She listens from the kitchen.
(c) She listens from the parlor.
(d) She listens from the top of the stairs.
11. Who confronts Winnie the moment she gets out of bed?
(a) Her father.
(b) No one.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her grandmother.
12. What is Mae's reaction when they hear a knock on the door?
(a) She screams.
(b) She drops her fork.
(c) She yells, "come in".
(d) She asks Winnie who it could be.
13. What does the stranger insist must be done to make the trade legal?
(a) The men must shake hands.
(c) It must be filed at the courthouse.
(d) It must be written on a piece of paper.
14. How many kidnappings does he say he's investigated during his time as constable?
(a) This is the first.
(b) Just one.
(c) Too many to count.
15. What words does the stranger use to describe the people who took Winnie?
(a) Stupid and homely.
(b) Kind and unusual.
(c) Mean and tough.
(d) Rough and illiterate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie say to her family that makes them understand the reason she acted as she did?
2. Why does Winnie say the entire escapade is difficult for her family?
3. What color is the dragonfly that darts near the rowboat while Winnie and Miles are fishing?
4. What time does Winnie say she'll meet Jesse?
5. What time does Winnie wake up?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)