|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the constable say about the kidnapping charges against the Tucks?
(a) That they won't be charged because the murder charge is more important.
(b) That they will all be charged and hanged.
(c) That they will all be charged except the youngest, Jesse.
(d) That they wont' be charged because Winnie says she went willingly.
2. Where does Mae make a bed for Winnie to sleep that night?
(a) On a folding cot.
(b) On a chair.
(c) On the sofa.
(d) In the loft.
3. How does Winnie overhear the constable's news?
(a) She listens from her window.
(b) She listens from the top of the stairs.
(c) She listens from the parlor.
(d) She listens from the kitchen.
4. What do they have for breakfast the morning after Winnie and Miles go fishing?
(a) Eggs and bacon.
(d) Nothing because they didn't keep the fish.
5. What does Mae answer when the constable asks why she hit the man?
(a) That he had threatened to tell their secret.
(b) That he had hit her first.
(c) That he was trying to take the child away.
(d) That he wanted Winnie to drink from the spring.
6. Who goes to answer the door?
7. What time does Winnie wake up?
(a) Fifteen minutes after midnight.
(b) Five minutes till midnight.
(c) Four fifteen.
(d) Five o'clock.
8. What does Jesse give Winne?
(a) A bottle of soda.
(b) A bottle of grape juice.
(c) A bottle of wine.
(d) A bottle of the water.
9. Which of the family doesn't come to see her before she goes to sleep?
10. How long does the constable say he's been in charge?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Five years.
(c) He doesn't say.
(d) Fifteen years.
11. What does Mae do to the man when he threatens to have Winnie drink the water?
(a) Shoots him.
(b) Yells at him.
(c) Hits him with a shotgun.
12. What is Mae's reaction when they hear a knock on the door?
(a) She drops her fork.
(b) She screams.
(c) She asks Winnie who it could be.
(d) She yells, "come in".
13. What is Tuck wearing when he comes in to check on Winnie?
(a) A green robe.
(b) A long white nightshirt.
(d) A pair of pants a a tee shirt.
14. What is the constable doing when he discovers Winnie is in the cell instead of Mae?
(a) Looking for Winnie.
(b) Making a check of the prisoners.
(c) Bringing Mae's breakfast.
(d) Opening the window.
15. What is it that makes Winnie pick up the toad?
(a) Her friends dare her to.
(b) A dog is threatening it.
(c) It is about to be run over.
(d) Winnie believes it's thirsty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the constable say most criminals are sent to serve their jail time?
2. What color is the jailhouse painted?
3. What does Winnie do with the bottle Jesse gave her?
4. Why does Winnie say the entire escapade is difficult for her family?
5. Where does the stranger put his hat?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)