|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Winnie overhear the constable's news?
(a) She listens from the top of the stairs.
(b) She listens from her window.
(c) She listens from the parlor.
(d) She listens from the kitchen.
2. How does the man say he knew about the Tucks?
(a) He happened to find the spring.
(b) He'd read about the story in college.
(c) His grandmother told him the story.
(d) His mother had told him the story.
3. What is the constable doing when he discovers Winnie is in the cell instead of Mae?
(a) Opening the window.
(b) Bringing Mae's breakfast.
(c) Making a check of the prisoners.
(d) Looking for Winnie.
4. What time does Winnie say she'll meet Jesse?
(a) At ten o'clock.
(b) At midnight.
(c) Just after dark.
(d) Just before dawn.
5. What does Winnie take to her bedroom to drink?
(a) The water Jesse gave her.
(b) A cola.
(d) Iced tea.
6. What does the man say he plans to do with the water?
(a) Save it.
(c) Sell it.
(d) Hide it.
7. Which of the family doesn't come to see her before she goes to sleep?
8. What does the constable say about the man in the yellow suit?
(a) That he died.
(b) That he has run away.
(c) That he has recovered.
(d) That he's going to jail.
9. What do they have for breakfast the morning after Winnie and Miles go fishing?
(a) Eggs and bacon.
(b) Nothing because they didn't keep the fish.
10. What does Winnie say to Tuck as she's being taken away?
(a) Everything's going to be all right.
(b) Take good care of the stranger.
(c) I'll help get Mae out of jail.
(d) Don't try to follow us.
11. Where does Mae make a bed for Winnie to sleep that night?
(a) On the sofa.
(b) In the loft.
(c) On a chair.
(d) On a folding cot.
12. What does the stranger say people came to believe about this family that didn't age?
(a) That they are gods.
(b) That they were witches, or worse.
(c) That they should share their secret.
(d) That they were ghosts.
13. What time is it when the stranger arrives at Winnie's house?
(a) Almost midnight.
(b) There's no indication of the time.
(c) Just after ten o'clock.
(d) Almost noon.
14. What does Winnie's grandmother say about how a toad drinks?
(a) That they drink only fresh water.
(b) That they drink only from running water.
(c) That they drink only from ponds.
(d) That they absorb water like a sponge.
15. What time does Winnie wake up?
(a) Five o'clock.
(b) Four fifteen.
(c) Fifteen minutes after midnight.
(d) Five minutes till midnight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words does the stranger use to describe the people who took Winnie?
2. What does Jesse ask Winnie to do?
3. What color is the jailhouse painted?
4. What does the stranger insist must be done to make the trade legal?
5. Who goes to answer the door?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)