|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Winnie's mother and grandmother do all day?
(a) Cook dinner and can peaches.
(b) Work in the garden.
(c) Work on a quilt.
(d) Fan themselves and drink lemonade.
2. What does Jesse give Winne?
(a) A bottle of soda.
(b) A bottle of grape juice.
(c) A bottle of wine.
(d) A bottle of the water.
3. What does the constable say about the man in the yellow suit?
(a) That he has recovered.
(b) That he's going to jail.
(c) That he has run away.
(d) That he died.
4. What is the flash of white Winnie sees from her bedroom window?
(a) A cell phone tower.
(b) Heat lightning.
(c) An airplane.
(d) A fire.
5. How far does the stranger tell the constable they have to go to find Winnie?
(a) Two miles.
(b) Twenty miles.
(c) Sixteen miles.
(d) Five miles.
6. What is Tuck wearing when he comes in to check on Winnie?
(a) A pair of pants a a tee shirt.
(c) A long white nightshirt.
(d) A green robe.
7. Where does the stranger put his hat while he talks to the Fosters?
(a) On a peg by the door.
(b) On his knee.
(c) On the back of the chair.
(d) On the table.
8. How does Winnie overhear the constable's news?
(a) She listens from her window.
(b) She listens from the kitchen.
(c) She listens from the parlor.
(d) She listens from the top of the stairs.
9. What does the man want in return for telling Winnie's whereabouts?
(a) Water from the spring.
(c) The Foster's House.
(d) Ownership of the woods.
10. What does Winnie pour on the toad?
(a) The water Jesse gave her.
(b) Her glass of lemonade.
(c) Water from the garden hose.
(d) A bowl of water from the house.
11. How does the stranger discover the Fosters' gate is unlocked?
(a) He asks Winnie's grandmother.
(b) He asks Winnie.
(c) He tries it.
(d) He calls out.
12. What does Winnie sit in back in her room at home?
(a) Her father's chair.
(b) A swing in the back yard.
(c) A small rocking chair.
(d) Her mother's lap.
13. Why does Winnie feel relief when it's time for supper?
(a) It's something to do.
(b) She doesn't have to do dishes.
(c) She's starving.
(d) It means it's almost midnight.
14. Why does Miles use oil on the window?
(a) There isn't a reason.
(b) So that Mae can slip through more easily.
(c) To keep the nails from making a sound as they are pulled out.
(d) To eliminate the possibility of fingerprints.
15. What does the stranger say people came to believe about this family that didn't age?
(a) That they should share their secret.
(b) That they were witches, or worse.
(c) That they are gods.
(d) That they were ghosts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words does the stranger use to describe the people who took Winnie?
2. What do they have for breakfast the morning after Winnie and Miles go fishing?
3. What image comes to Winnie's mind when she closes her eyes?
4. Who is waiting for Winnie at the gate?
5. What does Winnie sleep in that night?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)