|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the stranger put his hat?
(a) On the table.
(b) On the floor.
(c) On the back of the chair.
(d) On the mantel.
2. Why had Mae put flapjack crumbs in the table drawer?
(a) She doesn't have a trash can.
(b) To save for later.
(c) For the mouse to eat.
(d) There's no reason at all.
3. What time is it when the stranger arrives at Winnie's house?
(a) Almost noon.
(b) There's no indication of the time.
(c) Almost midnight.
(d) Just after ten o'clock.
4. What is the flash of white Winnie sees from her bedroom window?
(a) A fire.
(b) Heat lightning.
(c) A cell phone tower.
(d) An airplane.
5. Who goes to answer the door?
6. How does the stranger discover the Fosters' gate is unlocked?
(a) He asks Winnie.
(b) He calls out.
(c) He asks Winnie's grandmother.
(d) He tries it.
7. Where does the stranger tie the Tucks' horse?
(a) To a tree.
(b) To the Foster's fence.
(c) To the barn door.
(d) To a large rock.
8. How does Winnie overhear the constable's news?
(a) She listens from the kitchen.
(b) She listens from the parlor.
(c) She listens from the top of the stairs.
(d) She listens from her window.
9. Why does Winnie feel relief when it's time for supper?
(a) She doesn't have to do dishes.
(b) She's starving.
(c) It's something to do.
(d) It means it's almost midnight.
10. What does Winnie do with the bottle Jesse gave her?
(a) Hides it in a drawer.
(b) Puts it in her grandmother's drink.
(c) Drinks it.
(d) Pours it out.
11. What does Winnie say to Tuck as she's being taken away?
(a) Everything's going to be all right.
(b) Take good care of the stranger.
(c) Don't try to follow us.
(d) I'll help get Mae out of jail.
12. Where does Mae make a bed for Winnie to sleep that night?
(a) On a folding cot.
(b) In the loft.
(c) On a chair.
(d) On the sofa.
13. What does the stranger say people came to believe about this family that didn't age?
(a) That they were ghosts.
(b) That they were witches, or worse.
(c) That they are gods.
(d) That they should share their secret.
14. Why does the stranger say he's going to go ahead?
(a) He doesn't say.
(b) He says he's worried about the child.
(c) He says he's too tired to wait for the constable.
(d) He says he wants to return the horse.
15. How does Winnie plan to provide water for the toad?
(a) She turns on the water hose.
(b) She is going to take the toad inside to the tub.
(c) She is going to carry the toad to the pond.
(d) She carries a bowl of water outside.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mae's reaction when they hear a knock on the door?
2. What does Winnie sit in back in her room at home?
3. What time does Winnie say she'll meet Jesse?
4. What does the person say who opens the door for the stranger?
5. Where is the shotgun after Mae hits the stranger with it?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)