|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the stranger say he's going to go ahead?
(a) He says he's too tired to wait for the constable.
(b) He doesn't say.
(c) He says he wants to return the horse.
(d) He says he's worried about the child.
2. What does the person say who opens the door for the stranger?
(a) Come in.
(c) Go away.
(d) What do you want?.
3. Where does the stranger put his hat?
(a) On the floor.
(b) On the back of the chair.
(c) On the table.
(d) On the mantel.
4. What does the stranger insist must be done to make the trade legal?
(b) It must be filed at the courthouse.
(c) It must be written on a piece of paper.
(d) The men must shake hands.
5. What words does the stranger use to describe the people who took Winnie?
(a) Mean and tough.
(b) Kind and unusual.
(c) Rough and illiterate.
(d) Stupid and homely.
6. What does Winnie do when Miles catches a fish?
(a) Asks to fish some more herself.
(b) Asks him to let it go.
(c) Asks where they can catch another.
(d) Asks if that wil be enough for breakfast.
7. What time is it when the stranger arrives at Winnie's house?
(a) Almost noon.
(b) Just after ten o'clock.
(c) There's no indication of the time.
(d) Almost midnight.
8. What does Winnie pour on the toad?
(a) Her glass of lemonade.
(b) A bowl of water from the house.
(c) The water Jesse gave her.
(d) Water from the garden hose.
9. What does the constable say about the kidnapping charges against the Tucks?
(a) That they will all be charged and hanged.
(b) That they will all be charged except the youngest, Jesse.
(c) That they won't be charged because the murder charge is more important.
(d) That they wont' be charged because Winnie says she went willingly.
10. How does Winnie plan to provide water for the toad?
(a) She turns on the water hose.
(b) She is going to take the toad inside to the tub.
(c) She is going to carry the toad to the pond.
(d) She carries a bowl of water outside.
11. What does Mae answer when the constable asks why she hit the man?
(a) That he had hit her first.
(b) That he was trying to take the child away.
(c) That he wanted Winnie to drink from the spring.
(d) That he had threatened to tell their secret.
12. What is the flash of white Winnie sees from her bedroom window?
(a) A fire.
(b) Heat lightning.
(c) An airplane.
(d) A cell phone tower.
13. What does Winnie say to her family that makes them understand the reason she acted as she did?
(a) That she knew Mae was innocent.
(b) That the Tucks were her friends.
(c) That the Tucks had a mysterious secret.
(d) That she was bored.
14. What does Winnie say the stranger looks like?
(a) A marionette.
(b) A toad.
(c) A dead man.
(d) A dragonfly.
15. Who lifts Winnie through the window and into the jail?
Short Answer Questions
1. How far does the stranger tell the constable they have to go to find Winnie?
2. What image comes to Winnie's mind when she closes her eyes?
3. Why does Winnie feel relief when it's time for supper?
4. How does Winnie overhear the constable's news?
5. Where does the stranger tie the Tucks' horse?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)