|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Winnie overhear the constable's news?
(a) She listens from her window.
(b) She listens from the top of the stairs.
(c) She listens from the parlor.
(d) She listens from the kitchen.
2. How does the stranger discover the Fosters' gate is unlocked?
(a) He calls out.
(b) He tries it.
(c) He asks Winnie's grandmother.
(d) He asks Winnie.
3. What does Jesse say is the reason Miles and Winnie didn't catch any fish?
(a) They were using the wrong bait.
(b) There aren't any fish in the pond.
(c) Miles is out of practice.
(d) Miles doesn't know how to fish.
4. What is Mae's reaction when they hear a knock on the door?
(a) She screams.
(b) She drops her fork.
(c) She yells, "come in".
(d) She asks Winnie who it could be.
5. Where does the stranger tie the Tucks' horse?
(a) To a large rock.
(b) To the barn door.
(c) To a tree.
(d) To the Foster's fence.
6. What is Tuck wearing when he comes in to check on Winnie?
(a) A pair of pants a a tee shirt.
(b) A long white nightshirt.
(d) A green robe.
7. What time does Winnie say she'll meet Jesse?
(a) Just after dark.
(b) At ten o'clock.
(c) At midnight.
(d) Just before dawn.
8. How does Winnie plan to provide water for the toad?
(a) She turns on the water hose.
(b) She carries a bowl of water outside.
(c) She is going to take the toad inside to the tub.
(d) She is going to carry the toad to the pond.
9. Why does Winnie say the entire escapade is difficult for her family?
(a) Because they had to pay a fine .
(b) Because they wanted Winnie to be punished.
(c) Because they are proud.
(d) Because they wanted to meet the Tucks.
10. What does Winnie say to her family that makes them understand the reason she acted as she did?
(a) That the Tucks had a mysterious secret.
(b) That she was bored.
(c) That she knew Mae was innocent.
(d) That the Tucks were her friends.
11. What kind of fish does Miles predict will be among the lily pads?
12. Where does Mae make a bed for Winnie to sleep that night?
(a) On a folding cot.
(b) On a chair.
(c) On the sofa.
(d) In the loft.
13. What do Winnie's mother and grandmother do all day?
(a) Fan themselves and drink lemonade.
(b) Cook dinner and can peaches.
(c) Work on a quilt.
(d) Work in the garden.
14. What does the constable say will happen to Mae if the man dies?
(a) She'll be taken to the gallows.
(b) She'll be released .
(c) She'll be taken to jail.
(d) She'll be sent to prison.
15. What does Winnie sit in back in her room at home?
(a) A small rocking chair.
(b) A swing in the back yard.
(c) Her father's chair.
(d) Her mother's lap.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far does the stranger tell the constable they have to go to find Winnie?
2. How long does the constable say he's been in charge?
3. What sound does Winnie think she hears from inside the jail?
4. What does Winnie do with the bottle Jesse gave her?
5. Who goes to answer the door?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)