|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the stranger put his hat?
(a) On the table.
(b) On the mantel.
(c) On the back of the chair.
(d) On the floor.
2. Why had Mae put flapjack crumbs in the table drawer?
(a) For the mouse to eat.
(b) There's no reason at all.
(c) To save for later.
(d) She doesn't have a trash can.
3. What does Jesse say is the reason Miles and Winnie didn't catch any fish?
(a) There aren't any fish in the pond.
(b) Miles doesn't know how to fish.
(c) Miles is out of practice.
(d) They were using the wrong bait.
4. Where does the stranger tie the Tucks' horse?
(a) To a large rock.
(b) To a tree.
(c) To the Foster's fence.
(d) To the barn door.
5. Where does Mae make a bed for Winnie to sleep that night?
(a) In the loft.
(b) On the sofa.
(c) On a chair.
(d) On a folding cot.
6. What does the constable say about the kidnapping charges against the Tucks?
(a) That they will all be charged except the youngest, Jesse.
(b) That they will all be charged and hanged.
(c) That they wont' be charged because Winnie says she went willingly.
(d) That they won't be charged because the murder charge is more important.
7. What color is the dragonfly that darts near the rowboat while Winnie and Miles are fishing?
8. What does Winnie sit in back in her room at home?
(a) Her mother's lap.
(b) A small rocking chair.
(c) A swing in the back yard.
(d) Her father's chair.
9. Where do Winnie's mother and grandmother spend their day?
(a) In the parlor.
(b) On the back porch.
(c) In the kichen.
(d) In the bedrooms.
10. What image comes to Winnie's mind when she closes her eyes?
(a) The man in the yellow suit.
(b) Tuck's kind face.
(d) The blood on Mae's hands.
11. How far does the stranger tell the constable they have to go to find Winnie?
(a) Five miles.
(b) Sixteen miles.
(c) Two miles.
(d) Twenty miles.
12. What is the flash of white Winnie sees from her bedroom window?
(a) A cell phone tower.
(b) A fire.
(c) An airplane.
(d) Heat lightning.
13. Which of the family does Winnie say is the "dearest of them all?"
14. What does Winnie say to Tuck as she's being taken away?
(a) I'll help get Mae out of jail.
(b) Everything's going to be all right.
(c) Take good care of the stranger.
(d) Don't try to follow us.
15. What time does Winnie wake up?
(a) Four fifteen.
(b) Five o'clock.
(c) Five minutes till midnight.
(d) Fifteen minutes after midnight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound does Winnie think she hears from inside the jail?
2. What does the constable say will happen to Mae if the man dies?
3. What kind of fish does Miles predict will be among the lily pads?
4. What does the constable say they must do with the stranger?
5. What does Winnie's grandmother say about how a toad drinks?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)