|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many petticoats does Mae put on?
2. What color is the straw hat Mae puts on?
3. What does Winnie learn about Augustus Tuck trying to kill himself to prove whether he was truly immortal?
(a) He refused to eat.
(b) He ate poisoned mushrooms.
(c) He cut off his foot.
(d) He shot himself in the heart.
4. What is Winnie doing on that particular morning in the first week of August?
(a) Doing chores.
(b) Cleaning house.
(c) Chasing fireflies.
(d) Talking to a toad.
5. What is the news that Tuck gets urging him to come back to the house?
(a) That Winnie's parents are looking for her.
(b) That Jesse hurt himself.
(c) That the horse has been stolen.
(d) That supper is ready.
6. What is Jesse's first answer when Winnie asks his age?
(a) One hundred and forty-four.
(c) One hundred and four.
7. What kind of shoes is Winnie wearing when she gets into the rowboat with Tuck?
(a) Tennis shoes.
(c) Flip flops.
(d) She's barefoot.
8. How long does Mae say she and her husband have lived in their current house?
(a) About a year.
(b) About fourteen years.
(c) Since they found the spring.
(d) About twenty years.
9. When does Mae say they'll take Winnie home?
(a) In a few weeks.
(c) She doesn't say.
(d) The following day.
10. What does Tuck do when he's introduced to Winnie?
(a) Hugs her.
(b) Starts to cry.
(c) Shakes her hand.
(d) Walks away without speaking.
11. "Where" is the first week of August?
(a) Both at the very top of summer and the top of the live-long year.
(b) At the very top of summer.
(c) Neither at the very top of summer nor at the top of the year.
(d) At the very top of the live-long year.
12. What does Winnie learn would be her fate if she drank from the spring?
(a) She'd become an old woman.
(b) She'd die.
(c) She'd grow until she was seventeen then stop aging.
(d) She'd remain a little girl forever.
13. What had been the Tucks' plan?
(a) To farm.
(b) To raise cattle.
(c) To open a store.
(d) To fish.
14. What is the "one pretty thing" Mae never leaves home without?
(a) A key.
(b) A music box.
(c) A cell phone.
(d) A photo.
15. Why does Mae say they had to bring Winnie home with them?
(a) To help her hide from her parents.
(b) To hold her for ransom.
(c) To make her understand why she has to keep the secret.
(d) To help her achieve her dream of running away from home.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pockets are there in Mae's skirt?
2. What does Winnie do when she passes by the strange man after having been kidnapped by the Tucks?
3. What does Winnie discover is the only rule during the meal?
4. What is the smell that comes from the wardrobe in the Tucks' bedroom?
5. What does Miles pull from his back pocket?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)