|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is it that calls out to Tuck to come back to the house?
(a) The stranger.
2. What does Mae use as a fan?
(a) Her handkerchief.
(b) A letter.
(c) Her hat.
(d) A leaf.
3. What time does the stranger appear at the Foster's gate?
(a) At dawn.
(b) At noontime.
(c) At sunset.
(d) At midnight.
4. Why does Mae say Winnie has to go home with them?
(a) So that she can say she's run away from home.
(b) To have dinner with the family.
(c) So that the stranger can't find her.
(d) To talk it out with Tuck.
5. What does Winnie throw when she goes outside?
6. How does Mae fasten the shawl around her shoulders?
(a) With a string.
(b) With a button.
(c) With a tarnished metal brooch.
(d) With a safety pin.
7. What does the author say accompanies the frequent nighttime lightning?
(a) Neither thunder nor rain.
(b) Both thunder and rain.
(c) Only rain.
(d) Only thunder.
8. What do Jesse, Mae, Miles and Winnie have to eat on the way back to the Tucks' house?
(a) Peanut butter.
(b) Bologna sandwiches.
(c) Wild berries.
(d) Bread and cheese.
9. What time does Winnie Foster set out from her house?
(a) At midnight.
(b) At ten in the morning.
(c) At dawn.
(d) At noontime.
10. How does Winnie discover she's supposed to get the maple syrup off her fingers while she eats?
(a) Wipe them on her shirt.
(b) Lick them.
(c) Wipe them on a napkin.
(d) Go to the pond for water.
11. What does Mae do when they pass the strange man with Winnie astride the horse?
(a) Says they're teaching her to ride.
(b) Screams for help.
12. The village doesn't matter except for what two things?
(a) The preacher's house and the train station.
(b) The jailhouse and the gallows.
(c) The saloon and the general store.
(d) The school and the church.
13. What animal is responsible for the road meandering around the woods rather than through it?
14. What is it that Mae is looking at when she first wakes on the day before Jesse and Miles are to come home?
(a) Cobwebs on the ceiling.
(b) A spider on the window.
15. Why do people usually go around the woods?
(a) The Fosters own the land and people are scared of them.
(b) The road is filled with thorns.
(c) The road goes around the woods and they're scary.
(d) The road goes around the woods and the Fosters own it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "one pretty thing" Mae never leaves home without?
2. Who carries Winnie after she's tired?
3. Where is Mae's mirror?
4. What does Tuck say would happen if people found out about the spring?
5. How many rooms are there in the Tuck house?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)