|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the man say he's looking for?
(a) A family.
(b) A place to spend the night.
(c) A toad.
(d) A woman.
2. What kind of tree is at the center of the woods?
(a) A giant sycamore.
(b) A giant oak.
(c) A giant apple tree.
(d) A giant ash.
3. What does Tuck do when he's introduced to Winnie?
(a) Hugs her.
(b) Starts to cry.
(c) Walks away without speaking.
(d) Shakes her hand.
4. How many nights does Winnie say she has spent away from home?
5. What does Tuck say he's going to do while Mae goes to Treegap?
(a) Clean the house.
(b) Work in the garden.
(d) Go with her.
6. Which of these words does the author use to describe the first week of August?
(a) Steamy and hot.
(b) Balmy and hot.
(c) Windy and hot.
(d) Motionless and hot.
7. What does Winnie do when she passes by the strange man after having been kidnapped by the Tucks?
(c) Screams for help.
(d) Tells him she's learning to ride.
8. What does the author say about the sunsets of this first week of August?
(a) That there is too little color.
(b) That the sun glares at sunset.
(c) That the color is perfect.
(d) That there is too much color.
9. What had been the Tucks' plan?
(a) To farm.
(b) To fish.
(c) To raise cattle.
(d) To open a store.
10. What are the only two living things Winnie has found on that particular morning?
(a) Mae Tuck and a horsefly.
(b) A horse and Mae Tuck.
(c) A toad and a lizard.
(d) A toad and a cloud of gnats.
11. What color is the stranger's suit?
12. What does Winnie discover that Jesse and Miles wore to go swimming?
(b) Their clothes.
(c) Their underwear.
(d) Their swimsuits.
13. What does Winnie say the music sounds like?
(a) A circus.
(c) A flute.
(d) A music box.
14. What is the "one pretty thing" Mae never leaves home without?
(a) A photo.
(b) A music box.
(c) A cell phone.
(d) A key.
15. What words are used to describe the fingers of the stranger?
(a) White and ugly.
(b) Pale blue and chubby.
(c) Graceful and white.
(d) Long and skinny.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Winnie?
2. To what ride does the author compare the first week of August?
3. Which of the following is NOT on the list of things a traveler would find in the woods?
4. How does Mae fasten the shawl around her shoulders?
5. What does Mae use for a towel after she washes her face in the stream?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)