|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does Mae Tuck make this journey?
(a) Every year.
(b) Every month.
(c) Every week.
(d) Every ten years.
2. Who is it that calls out to Tuck to come back to the house?
(d) The stranger.
3. Tuck says that having Winnie visit is the best thing in how many years?
(d) One hundred and four.
4. What does Winnie learn about Augustus Tuck trying to kill himself to prove whether he was truly immortal?
(a) He ate poisoned mushrooms.
(b) He cut off his foot.
(c) He shot himself in the heart.
(d) He refused to eat.
5. Why does Winnie leave her house?
(a) She is running away.
(b) She wants to explore the woods.
(c) She is on her way to meet Jesse and Miles.
(d) She is looking for Mae Tuck.
6. What are the only two living things Winnie has found on that particular morning?
(a) A horse and Mae Tuck.
(b) Mae Tuck and a horsefly.
(c) A toad and a lizard.
(d) A toad and a cloud of gnats.
7. How old is Winnie?
(a) Sixteen, going on seventeen.
(b) Eleven, going on twelve.
(c) Ten, going on eleven.
(d) She doesn't say.
8. What is the first thing Miles and Jesse do when they arrive home?
(a) Look for their cat.
(b) Take a nap.
(c) Ask for dinner.
(d) Jump in the pond.
9. What do passersby want to do when they pass the house?
(b) Make a lot of noise and throw a rock or two.
(c) Ask for a drink.
10. What words are used to describe the fingers of the stranger?
(a) White and ugly.
(b) Pale blue and chubby.
(c) Long and skinny.
(d) Graceful and white.
11. To what ride does the author compare the first week of August?
(a) The Ferris wheel.
(b) The roller coaster.
(c) The tilt-a-whirl.
(d) The merry-go-round.
12. What kind of tree is at the center of the woods?
(a) A giant sycamore.
(b) A giant apple tree.
(c) A giant oak.
(d) A giant ash.
13. What is Jesse doing when Winnie first sees him?
(b) Drinking from the spring.
(c) Eating a sandwich.
(d) Drinking from a thermos.
14. Which of the following was not part of the supper Winnie shares with the Tuck family her first night with them?
(d) Scrambled eggs.
15. What does the author say accompanies the frequent nighttime lightning?
(a) Only rain.
(b) Both thunder and rain.
(c) Only thunder.
(d) Neither thunder nor rain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie throw when she goes outside?
2. How many rooms are there in the Tuck house?
3. Which of the following is NOT on the list of things a traveler would find in the woods?
4. How many children did Miles have?
5. The village doesn't matter except for what two things?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)