|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Mae says to Tuck upon waking?
(a) The boys will be home tomorrow.
(b) Jesse and Miles are planning a picnic.
(c) We're all going to the river.
(d) We need to clean the cobwebs.
2. What does Winnie do when she passes by the strange man after having been kidnapped by the Tucks?
(b) Tells him she's learning to ride.
(c) Screams for help.
3. Who is it that yells from the front door of the cottage that Winnie is going to get her stockings dirty?
(a) Mae Tuck.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
4. Why does Mae say Winnie has to go home with them?
(a) To talk it out with Tuck.
(b) So that the stranger can't find her.
(c) So that she can say she's run away from home.
(d) To have dinner with the family.
5. What is it that Mae is looking at when she first wakes on the day before Jesse and Miles are to come home?
(b) Cobwebs on the ceiling.
(c) A spider on the window.
6. What does Winnie discover that Jesse and Miles wore to go swimming?
(b) Their underwear.
(c) Their swimsuits.
(d) Their clothes.
7. What animal is responsible for the road meandering around the woods rather than through it?
8. What words are used to describe the fingers of the stranger?
(a) Pale blue and chubby.
(b) Graceful and white.
(c) White and ugly.
(d) Long and skinny.
9. What color is the Tuck house?
10. What color are Jesse's suspenders?
11. What is Winnie doing on that particular morning in the first week of August?
(a) Chasing fireflies.
(b) Doing chores.
(c) Cleaning house.
(d) Talking to a toad.
12. Why does Winnie leave her house?
(a) She is on her way to meet Jesse and Miles.
(b) She is running away.
(c) She is looking for Mae Tuck.
(d) She wants to explore the woods.
13. What kind of pet does Winnie say she might like to have?
(a) A dog.
(b) A kitten.
(c) A toad.
(d) A pony.
14. Which of these words does the author use to describe the first week of August?
(a) Motionless and hot.
(b) Windy and hot.
(c) Balmy and hot.
(d) Steamy and hot.
15. What does Tuck say he's going to do while Mae goes to Treegap?
(b) Go with her.
(c) Work in the garden.
(d) Clean the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Mae say she and her husband have lived in their current house?
2. What time does Mae Tuck set out for the village?
3. Who owns the first cottage past the woods on the road to Treegap?
4. How often does Mae Tuck make this journey?
5. What is the sound that makes Winnie stop crying?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)