|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Mae says to Tuck upon waking?
(a) Jesse and Miles are planning a picnic.
(b) The boys will be home tomorrow.
(c) We need to clean the cobwebs.
(d) We're all going to the river.
2. Which of these words does the author use to describe the first week of August?
(a) Motionless and hot.
(b) Balmy and hot.
(c) Windy and hot.
(d) Steamy and hot.
3. What does Tuck do when he's introduced to Winnie?
(a) Walks away without speaking.
(b) Starts to cry.
(c) Hugs her.
(d) Shakes her hand.
4. Where is Mae's mirror?
(a) On the washstand.
(b) On the wall.
(c) On the dresser.
(d) She doesn't have one.
5. How many children did Miles have?
6. Who else besides Winnie heard the story about the spring told by Jesse, Mae and Miles?
(a) Winnie's grandmother.
(b) No one.
(c) The sheriff.
(d) The stranger.
7. When does Mae say they'll take Winnie home?
(b) In a few weeks.
(c) She doesn't say.
(d) The following day.
8. What do passersby want to do when they pass the house?
(a) Ask for a drink.
(d) Make a lot of noise and throw a rock or two.
9. What is Jesse doing when Winnie first sees him?
(a) Drinking from the spring.
(c) Drinking from a thermos.
(d) Eating a sandwich.
10. What does Mae say the loft of their home is used for?
(a) Miles and Jesse do their carpentry there.
(b) Mae sews there.
(c) The loft is used only for storage.
(d) Miles and Jesse sleep there when they return home.
11. Who carries Winnie after she's tired?
12. What do passersby want to do when they reach the woods?
(b) Make a lot of noise and throw a rock or two.
(d) Look for a spring.
13. What is the "one pretty thing" Mae never leaves home without?
(a) A cell phone.
(b) A music box.
(c) A key.
(d) A photo.
14. What does Miles pull from his back pocket?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A letter.
(c) A music box.
(d) A canteen.
15. To what ride does the author compare the first week of August?
(a) The merry-go-round.
(b) The Ferris wheel.
(c) The roller coaster.
(d) The tilt-a-whirl.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Winnie?
2. What is the news that Tuck gets urging him to come back to the house?
3. What is it that Mae is looking at when she first wakes on the day before Jesse and Miles are to come home?
4. What is the first creature Winnie hears when she and Tuck get into the rowboat at the pond?
5. What do Jesse, Mae, Miles and Winnie have to eat on the way back to the Tucks' house?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)