|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these words does the author use to describe the first week of August?
(a) Motionless and hot.
(b) Windy and hot.
(c) Steamy and hot.
(d) Balmy and hot.
2. Tuck says that his family is no longer part of life, but are like what?
(a) Rocks beside the road.
(b) A boat going across a pond.
(c) Water being recycled.
(d) A horse pulling a wagon.
3. How many petticoats does Mae put on?
4. What is Jesse doing when Winnie first sees him?
(a) Drinking from a thermos.
(b) Drinking from the spring.
(d) Eating a sandwich.
5. Who is it that yells from the front door of the cottage that Winnie is going to get her stockings dirty?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Mae Tuck.
(d) Her father.
6. Who else besides Winnie heard the story about the spring told by Jesse, Mae and Miles?
(a) No one.
(b) Winnie's grandmother.
(c) The sheriff.
(d) The stranger.
7. How long has it been since any member of the Tuck family changed?
(a) 147 years.
(b) 110 years.
(c) 87 years.
(d) 43 years.
8. How does Mae fasten the shawl around her shoulders?
(a) With a button.
(b) With a string.
(c) With a safety pin.
(d) With a tarnished metal brooch.
9. What is Mae leading when she comes into the thicket?
(a) A horse.
(b) A cow.
(c) A dog.
(d) A donkey.
10. Why do people usually go around the woods?
(a) The Fosters own the land and people are scared of them.
(b) The road goes around the woods and the Fosters own it.
(c) The road is filled with thorns.
(d) The road goes around the woods and they're scary.
11. What does Winnie discover is the only rule during the meal?
(a) No elbows on the table.
(b) No talking with your mouth full.
(c) No drinking from the milk jug.
(d) No conversation while eating.
12. What do passersby want to do when they reach the woods?
(c) Make a lot of noise and throw a rock or two.
(d) Look for a spring.
13. What are the only two living things Winnie has found on that particular morning?
(a) A horse and Mae Tuck.
(b) Mae Tuck and a horsefly.
(c) A toad and a cloud of gnats.
(d) A toad and a lizard.
14. What is the first thing Mae says to Tuck upon waking?
(a) The boys will be home tomorrow.
(b) We're all going to the river.
(c) Jesse and Miles are planning a picnic.
(d) We need to clean the cobwebs.
15. What is the sound that makes Winnie stop crying?
(a) The running water.
(b) Mae's quiet voice.
(c) The music box.
(d) Her mother calling her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the first cottage past the woods on the road to Treegap?
2. What is the news that Tuck gets urging him to come back to the house?
3. How often does Mae Tuck make this journey?
4. What words are used to describe the fingers of the stranger?
5. When does Mae say she'll be return home?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)