|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Ann's most recent novel?
2. Lucy asked her psychiatrists if she was pretty and if _______________________.
3. Why did Ann have Lucy moved to a different hospital room?
4. What topic did Lucy mention in her Tango essay which shocked Ann at a reading in Provincetown?
5. More often than not, when a publication asked Lucy to write for them, Lucy would ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ann not tell Lucy she was coming to New York for a movie premiere and book party?
2. What was the final defeat in Lucy's struggle to have her face reconstructed?
3. Even though she had career success, Lucy felt that romantic love was missing in her life. What did she do to try to remedy that situation?
4. What did Lucy reveal to Ann about her heroin use and her suicide wish?
5. What did Karl, Ann's boyfriend, say that he could help Lucy attain with her health issues?
6. Why was Ann the symbol of innocence in the book and Lucy the loss of innocence?
7. How did Ann choose to think about Lucy after her death?
8. What name did Ann and Lucy come up with to describe their bad times with Lucy's addictions and suicide attempts?
9. How well did Lucy manage her finances?
10. What were the circumstances of Lucy's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ann Patchett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would writers have a lonely life even though it may have seemed exciting and glamorous to other people? Why would Lucy have had an especially lonely life because of the lack of romantic partners who were willing to see past her physical challenges? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of the search for love is an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the search for love throughout the book.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)