|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ann never believe?
2. Ann recalled that she and Lucy __________________ while in Iowa.
3. Ann went to a movie premiere and ________________ but did not tell Lucy.
4. Lucy was fired from her job in which city?
5. What offer did Ann make to Lucy that mortified Lucy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the radical surgery Lucy was considering and later told Ann and Karl about?
2. Describe how Lucy and Ann were polar opposites in personality.
3. What happened with Lucy's job in Bennington, and what did she do when she moved to Brooklyn?
4. Why did Ann not tell Lucy she was coming to New York for a movie premiere and book party?
5. How did Ann show that she was the ultimate mother figure to Lucy after her radical surgery?
6. To what things did Ann attribute Lucy's depression?
7. Describe Lucy's health in Chapter 15.
8. How did Lucy's death make Ann finally realize her own naivete?
9. What was Lucy's pattern of happiness and depression?
10. How did Ann naively view Lucy's drug addiction and suicide attempts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author tells her story through a series of flashbacks. Why did she choose to tell her story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated? Is there any other way to write a memoir?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting and time period for Ann and Lucy's friendship? What were some of the places they shared? What were some places that they experienced separately? How important are the time period and settings to the attitudes and issues of Ann and Lucy?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. Why does the author call it simply TRUTH & BEAUTY? What was she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)