|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lucy give Ann for Christmas in Chapter 15?
2. Who embarrassed Ann at an awards dinner one night?
3. What was the profession of the man Ann dates in Chapter 11?
4. Lucy was embarrassed that Ann saw ______________________.
5. What ground rules did Ann set down for Lucy while she was staying at Ann's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Lucy so pleased when Ann began to date a doctor in Nashville?
2. What was Ann's experience with hives and how did it let her appreciate Lucy's struggles even more?
3. Why was Ann the symbol of innocence in the book and Lucy the loss of innocence?
4. How did Ann choose to think about Lucy after her death?
5. How well did Lucy manage her finances?
6. What happened with Lucy's job in Bennington, and what did she do when she moved to Brooklyn?
7. What were the circumstances of Lucy's death?
8. What did Lucy reveal to Ann about her heroin use and her suicide wish?
9. What name did Ann and Lucy come up with to describe their bad times with Lucy's addictions and suicide attempts?
10. Why did Ann not tell Lucy she was coming to New York for a movie premiere and book party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. Why does the author call it simply TRUTH & BEAUTY? What was she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief study of Lucy Grealy. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What were her primary motivations during her life?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)