|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lucy won the Bunting fellowship and the _____________ fellowship.
2. What was Terezin?
3. How did Ann feel about her new marriage?
4. For what did B- make fun of Lucy?
5. Who wrote AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A FACE?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lucy hate Aberdeen and what did Ann think about it when she visited Lucy there?
2. With whom did Lucy fall in love in Provincetown, and how did he affect her life?
3. How did Lucy's life change after the release of her award-winning book?
4. What did Lucy find strength in what made her consider writing non-fiction instead of fiction?
5. How did Ann's insecurities surface, especially in the incident with the philanthropist adviser?
6. What role did Ann represent in her friendship with Lucy?
7. Describe an event in which Lucy was bullied in Scotland.
8. How could Ann's love for Lucy have been called unconditional?
9. What was Ann's opinion of Lucy's obsession with the Holocaust?
10. Why was Lucy upset about Ann's dating a poet while living in Kentucky?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief study of Lucy Grealy. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What were her primary motivations during her life?
Essay Topic 3
The author tells her story through a series of flashbacks. Why did she choose to tell her story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated? Is there any other way to write a memoir?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)