|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the source of Lucy's face disfigurement?
2. When Ann was young she thought that being ________________ would be glamorous.
3. What helped Lucy deal with her life?
4. What was a major flaw in the Yaddo accommodations?
5. At what restaurant did Ann get a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe an event in which Lucy was bullied in Scotland.
2. How did Ann's insecurities surface, especially in the incident with the philanthropist adviser?
3. How did Ann come to know Lucy Grealy, and what circumstances made them roommates in Iowa?
4. Why did Lucy have an obsession with the Holocaust?
5. Why was Lucy's life such an anomaly?
6. What role did Lucy represent in her friendship with Ann?
7. What is shared about Lucy's childhood in Chapter 3?
8. Why was Ann Patchett looking for an apartment in Iowa City, Iowa, in 1985?
9. What were the circumstances of Lucy's disfigured face?
10. Why was Lucy happy when Ann broke up with Dennis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It has been said that creative people such as writers and artists have some degree of mental illness which makes their work brilliant. Explain whether or not you think mental illness shaped Lucy's life and work.
Essay Topic 2
The author tells her story through a series of flashbacks. Why did she choose to tell her story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated? Is there any other way to write a memoir?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief study of Lucy Grealy. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What were her primary motivations during her life?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)