|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why could Lucy not have the bolts put in her face?
(a) She was allergic to the material.
(b) She had a staph infection.
(c) Her bone was too fragile.
(d) Her insurance wouldn't cover it.
2. Which of the following did Ann NOT think contributed to Lucy's depression?
(a) Not getting enough sleep.
(b) Drinking too much alcohol.
(c) Hardly eating any food.
(d) The death of her mother.
3. Lucy dated two painters, Steve and _________________.
4. What did Lucy start to do after she was told that the surgeons could not help her anymore?
(a) Pack to return to Ireland.
(b) Cut herself.
(c) Work on a new novel.
(d) Converted to Judaism.
5. Why was Lucy upset on September 11, 2001.
(a) Her father was a fireman who was injured that day.
(b) She had friends killed in the twin towers.
(c) She felt so hopeless to help the situation.
(d) She felt left out because she was not in Manhattan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lucy think about Ann's relationship with the man she dates in Chapter 11?
2. Which of the following did Lucy NOT want to do?
3. In Lucy's fantasies, who fell in love with her?
4. What did Ann never believe?
5. What did Ann give to Lucy to help her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did suicide become top-of-mind for Lucy?
2. What was Lucy's pattern of happiness and depression?
3. What did Lucy reveal to Ann about her heroin use and her suicide wish?
4. How did Lucy's death make Ann finally realize her own naivete?
5. Why was Ann the symbol of innocence in the book and Lucy the loss of innocence?
6. What happened with Lucy's job in Bennington, and what did she do when she moved to Brooklyn?
7. What was the radical surgery Lucy was considering and later told Ann and Karl about?
8. In reality, what were Karl and others not able to help Lucy with regarding her health issues?
9. What was the final defeat in Lucy's struggle to have her face reconstructed?
10. To what things did Ann attribute Lucy's depression?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)